Dover Man Hit, Killed By Truck

A Craven County man is dead after the Highway Patrol says a pick-up truck hit him walking down the road.

Trooper Riggs with the NC Highway Patrol says 54-year-old Wendell Murphy of Dover was killed Thursday night. He was struck by a GMC pick-up truck from behind on Old 70 in Dover, which is the main road in the town. The accident happened around 7 p.m.

Trooper Riggs says Murphy was wearing dark clothing when he was walking in the east-bound lane of the street. The truck was driving the speed limit, which is 45 mph, in the same direction as Murphy was walking. After reconstructing the accident, the Highway Patrol determined it would have been almost impossible for the driver to have seen Murphy. No charges will be filed.

Murphy was airlifted to Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville from the accident scene, but he did not survive his injuries.

• by Dover Chiqk Location: Dover Nc on Dec 12, 2011 at 06:45 AM
    I Pray for Wendell I Will Miss Him!! I Have KNown Him All MY Life! RIP WENDELL
  • by Stop! on Dec 10, 2011 at 12:17 AM
    Just stop arguing! It doesn't matter! All that matters is that this gentlemen is lost and lives on both side of the incident are drastically affected. Many prayers needed.
  • by dont understand! on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:14 PM
    why dont the police in these different towns stop these guys who ride their bikes the wrong way or even in the turn lanes. The same goes for all the people walking the wrong way. It might save a life or two.
  • by chill Location: enc on Dec 9, 2011 at 02:34 PM
    Walk facing traffic its the law.
  • by From Dover/Fort Barnwell on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    Many in this area walk the roads thinking it is their right. They do not move or even pay attention to traffic. There are not many to no street lights. Even if they do wear light clothing it does not help seeing them until too late. I worry all the time on some of these roads. They are 35 mph, but drivers go way over the speed limit. I rarely see Law Enforcement in these areas unless someone complains. I will keep both families in my prayers and pray that others will learn from this.
  • by Tim Location: Dover on Dec 9, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    Wyndell,he was a good man.I've known him for 9 years,and never thought i'd see that happen!He was like a second grandfather to me,I find it hard to believe that it was his own fault, the damn speed limit is there for many reasons and this pinhead wasn't paying attention obviously! Me and many others were quite upset about this event that took place yesterday afternoon. R.I.P Wyndell,Everyone loves you! Keep your heads up everybody,we all can think of the many good times and helping lectures,and just to remember him for him and all the good he did."Dover will never be the same without Ol' Mule! We miss you man.
      by Samantha on Dec 22, 2011 at 08:04 AM in reply to Tim
      I'm sorry you had to lose someone that meant so much to you. It's like losing Pawpaw all over again. I wish you didn't see what you saw and that I could have been there for you.
  • by Last Night... on Dec 9, 2011 at 06:39 AM
    I nearly hit a guy walking down the road. He was wearing dark clothing and was walking VERY close to the pavement. I didn't see the guy until I was 50 feet from him. It was a dark highway (no street lights) and a stretch of road in Jones county with few houses to provide illumination. I would have been upset if I was charged with a crime for hitting the guy. I had almost ZERO recation time and I doubt most people could have avoided him if he was walking on the road. I THINK he was walking on the pavement, but it was too close to tell and I only saw him for the half second I passed by @ 60mph.
  • by Chris Location: Greenville on Dec 9, 2011 at 04:32 AM
    How many pedestrians have to be killed until the general walking public wakes up and realizes that they need to take responsibility? Don't just have the mentality of "oh, the car will see me". If you play the deadly game of chicken as a walking pedestrian without taking precautions, such as high visibility clothing, walking on the proper side of the road, and watching the cars, then you have already lost the game.
      by Awestruck on Dec 9, 2011 at 04:47 AM in reply to Chris
      Even with all those precautions taken, it is still dangerous. Take it from one who knows. Garbage man hit by motor vehicle doing in excess of 62mph. Still here by God's Grace. I don't walk on the side of the road anymore. lol
      by Vickie on Dec 9, 2011 at 05:15 AM in reply to Chris
      So,I guess you are saying that everyone no longer wear dark clothing as our vehicles could break down and we may need to walk?!? This gentleman's car could have broke down,or he may have been walking to get help for a family member,and didn't have time to "change his dark clothing". It's a horrible accident,that might could have been avoided but we don't know all the circumstances surrounding this man's evening walk!
        by Mustang on Dec 9, 2011 at 06:52 AM in reply to Vickie
        So how do you explain his walking with his back to the traffic?
        by Natasha on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:14 AM in reply to Vickie
        This man walked every where, he was homeless, I have drove through Dover several times to get to my families house...he has STAGGERED into my lane at least 3 times, I had to sway into other lane.It was indeed a horrible accident, and I pray for this mans family and also for the driver...what a horrible thing he has to live with.
        by Chris on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:57 PM in reply to Vickie
        I guess you think I am saying it , because you are trying very poorly to put words in my mouth. But if your car breaks down and you have on dark clothing, you need to be EXTRA vigilant. BTW , we don't need to know all the circumstances, just the main ones... dark clothing, incorrect side of the road, night time.
          by close on Dec 26, 2011 at 03:35 AM in reply to Chris
          SORRY nobody knows anything except the driver and Wyndell. But i hate to say but their is only a few that knew wyndell and to hear the call go through the scanner and the next hear your tones go through and to come and find out its someone you know. but thats besides the point the circumstances are need hate to say it but they are and Wyndell was always the one the walk on the curbing and yea he would walk off the curbing every now and then. but you know what i am not taking either side but thats why us people have to be more careful and yes i understand that it could have been to late that he couldn't have done anything to stop from hitting him but on roads like the main road in Dover that have hardly any street lights we should be even more careful for this reason. BUT MY HEARTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO BOTH FAMILYS.
  • by Love on Dec 9, 2011 at 03:50 AM
    Prayers for both the deceased and the driver and his family.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135305958 - witn.com/a?a=135305958