Reward Now Offered In Dog Shooting Cases

A reward is now being offered after five dogs have been found shot in Greene County in recent weeks. Three of those dogs have died.

Now pet owners are worried that someone is intentionally harming them, since three of the shootings happened within a quarter mile of each other.

Greene County Animal Control says most of the dogs that have been shot were hunting dogs and say they don't think the shootings were accidental.

Vicky Cox is very attached to her dog, Rascal, who's been in the family for 13 years. But last Sunday Rascal wouldn't come inside, and Cox discovered her dog had been shot in the back, near her tail.

"I mean, there was just blood all over her back area," Cox told WITN News. "I put her in the tub and cleaned her off and when I cleaned her off I saw that there were two holes."

Greene County Animal Control officer Randy Hawkins says Rascal is one of five dogs shot in the past two weeks. He says four of the dogs were hunting dogs, and three of them died. Hawkins says Rascal and two others were shot within a quarter mile of each other.

"We do think it's being done on purpose for whatever reason," says Hawkins. "We don't know the reason, but it's got to be out of meanness."

Hawkins says one of the dog owners is now offering a $500 reward.

Wayne Davis says two of his hunting dogs were killed. "My dog wasn't moving," says Davis. "And I finally went up into the woods and tracked her and the dog was covered up with leaves."

Hawkins says he doesn't think the same person or persons are responsible for all of the shootings. Davis says he's hopeful whoever's doing it will be caught. "We've got a lot of money tied up in these dogs - and I'd just love to find out who's doing it."

In the meantime, Vicky Cox says she plans to keep Rascal inside more often to protect her from the gunfire.

• by Ralston Stephenson Location: New Bern NC on Jan 4, 2011 at 05:09 PM
    My family has just came into possion of 5 new born lab puppies that are free to agood home for those who have aneed to replace a pet because of someone eleses carelessness,please we rather give the pups away instead of seeing them go to the pound.If interested please contact me by email,or call me at 252-288-2248.Thank you and have a nice day.
  • by to hmmmm on Dec 29, 2010 at 06:28 AM
    From:PirateFanFor Life... Oh brother! Here we go again - another "tree hugger".
  • by Big Daddy Location: GC on Dec 23, 2010 at 01:07 PM
    It doesn't matter if you side with my opinion on hunting or not. It has been stated over and over again that this wasn't about hunting anyway! I agree. No matter which side of this debate you are on I will warn you though. There will come a time when something you enjoy just as YOUR forefathers enjoyed comes under question or attack. Someone will try to tell you is stupid or outdated. Some people are of the opinion that we certainly have better modes of transportation than horses; so we shouldn't ride them anymore. Or we shouldn't read books anymore; just rent the DVD. The man that run over the two women in Wilson last summer recently got 6 years for those two deaths. The big picture is much more concerning than hunting.
  • by dh Location: williamston on Dec 23, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    Ban Dog Hunting this is about dogs being shot. Wake up and realize that. Having 3 cars to be damaged by deer,I hope you don't have to go through that. I would like to see the season extended and dog hunting expanded. Why don't you check and see the stats of deer harvested. What you will see the majority of deer take are with dogs. The majority of does harvested are by Dog Hunters. Still hunter kill alot of bucks and few does. We as hunters need to help manage this population. Once again this is about the dogs not hunting. Sorry for the rant, I thought being stupid was learned not a trait.
  • by Anonymous Location: Williamston on Dec 23, 2010 at 09:49 AM
    I think alot of you all have some issues that need to be worked out. My dad used to hunt with dogs and now that he is a little older he "still" hunts wiht my son. We are a long way from being inbred that is just insane and he always took very good care of his dogs. Vet checks, heart worm prevention and feed very well. I can even recall a time when he brought his two racoon dogs in to the laundry room because it was so cold out that night I even remember a night he jumped in a pond after one of his dogs because the racoon he was after could have drowned the dog and my poor dad can't even swim, but he didn't want the dog to die and no not because of the cost of the dog but just because he cared. You take a chance of never seeing your dog again everye time you turn them out. This is not even about hunting anyway it is about innocent dogs being killed for no reason. I just wanted to speek my opinion. To all the hunters best wishes next season.
  • by The Stable Location: Snow Hill on Dec 23, 2010 at 09:45 AM
    This isn't the first time this has happened. Our dog who cant go out of our yard was shot twice in lwaa then two weeks both times in the face. First time was with a shot gun with bird shot the second time with a pellet rifle. Our dog was in our yard. She never deserved to have that happen to her. She doesnt tear up anything of our neighbors & she poops in our yard. She was a innocent dog. She stills carries the scares from this till this day. The people who are doing this need to be 6 ft under the jail not in it.
  • by Ban Dog Hunting Location: North Carolina on Dec 23, 2010 at 08:28 AM
    Call your County Commissioners and State Representatives if you are serious about banning deer hunting with Dogs. It's an outdated, cruel, and unfair practice... Decent people living in the rural community have to endure these hick inbreds for 2 month each year as they trespass and create a nusiance in the community.
  • by Big Daddy Location: GC on Dec 23, 2010 at 07:47 AM
    As a matter of fact people have ridden their horses (human in control) across our posted land as if it was OK because they were not hunting or fishing. I would not shot a persons horse or dog. We were hunting MILES away from where these dogs were finally located. Twenty-five or thirty dogs hunted all day "in bounds" and yes two were MIA. I was not hunting this persons land but yes my dog was tresspassing. If I was the type of SOB that would shoot a person's pet I certainly wouldn't stand in front of them and boast about it. Neither are the people that are actually shooting these dogs.
  • by Bull winkle Location: NC on Dec 23, 2010 at 07:05 AM
    Was there 1 single dog that was shot on land that the hunter and his dog had the right to be on? All the laws protect the hunter.. Doesn't protect the dog, protects the hunter investment. Pretty amazing that rabbit hunters and other running dogs folks can use the long range shock collars and break the dog from the run. Why can we not make a law to make that a requirement? Dog runners can train those dogs and FIX the problems folks instead of whinning over it, or making the excuse of the dog doesn't know how to read a sign. I have been on the receiving end of dogs running, and then the next day dogs running and the next day running, talked to the dog handlers till I am blue in the face and the next day dogs running. HOW much is enough, how much till you absolutely are fed up with it. Let your neighbors dog come over and poop in your front yard every freaking day.. you will get fed up with it. SO AGAIN FIX the problem, train the dog or suffer consequences.
  • by Michael Location: Greene County, Arba on Dec 23, 2010 at 06:43 AM
    Why are you guys afraid to put your name? People get a life this story was about some defenseless dogs that got shot not about bashing dog hunting.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112276889 - witn.com/a?a=112276889