Doctor Pleads Guilty To Health Care Fraud, Money Laundering

An eastern Carolina physician has pleaded guilty to health care fraud and money laundering, and now has to pay nearly $1 million dollars in fines and restitution.

Dr. Michael Nunn ran community wellness centers in Winterville, New Bern and Morehead City. Federal prosecutors say Nunn pleaded guilty to submitting fake service claims to Medicare and he double billing the Veteran's Administration in 2003 and 2004.

A federal judge fined Nunn $700,000 and ordered him to pay $297,000 restitution. Nunn has also been placed on probation for four years.

• by A Long Term Patient Location: New Bern on Apr 28, 2011 at 08:03 AM
    In my OPINION Dr.Nunn was not "blaming" others in his letter. He was simply trying to EXPLAIN what really happened during the period of time that was in question! The good doctor has been a true asset and with God's help I pray he will continue. Dr.Nunn if you are reading this please do not feel disheartened by people that are quick to judge and point fingers at others as a way to distract them from their everyday mundane lives! You are an amazing doctor and without you many folks like myself would have been lost. And to the Naysayers, for what it matters to you. You have never been in any kind of physical or emotional pain where you have turned physician, only to be thought of as a pill popper or a loon.Or my favorite saying," Its all in your head!" If or when this does happen to you remember that Dr. Nunn is the BEST!!!! He doesn't judge you, he simply treats your ailments!
  • by Justin Location: Cove City on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    I really wished people would take his patients sit them down and hear their side of the story. I can guarantee you that it would be a total different story then what the so called judge and prosecuting DA were given. People are to quick to judge when they know absolutely nothing about the man and how he runs his practice. I personally am not a patient but I am very close to someone who is and has been for a very long time. When she heard about this, she was floored. I do wish that Dr.Nunn is acquitted and that the truth comes out. I in no way believe that these charges are true and as he said he was forced into a corner. I know myself that the court system will do that,either for a quick buck or to make a name for themselves.Has anyone even stopped and thought how this will affect his patients,how those people who have to trust Dr.Nunn and have began to heal.He is a good doctor,not too mention a good person to have in the community.Shame on you North Carolina,shame find a hobby. Dr.Nunn I'm sorry that this is has come against you again. Seems like someone has it out for you. These are the same charges that the FBI brought and cleared you on in 2005 now here comes the SBI with the same charges. Don't give up you know your patients won't give up on you. Hang in there. GOD bless you and your staff.
  • by Steve Location: New Bern on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    How many of you that have commented here truly know the and or any of his patients? Or are you just going by what you have read and making a quick judgment on what the pres tells you. Here we go again judging without knowing. I have seen his patients take a turn to the better since I have been in the New Bern area and dont see what you all want to judge on except for what you read.Since the FBI cleared Dr. Nunn from the first accusations that Mr. Green and his cohorts put out its been an on going battle for him. And now it comes to light again the same things as before and the same people as before. Now the SBI and Attorney General are involved where the proof and why did it come out now and not then. What Doctor will be next and what insurance agents will hick the cost of insurance because of this and other who get falsely accused.Is it not time we get the story right and the full story not just what they want to print to cause us to judge and harm another? Yes Dr. Nunn is the best Dr. Those who have him as there Dr. should consider themselves lucky!!!! and all of those who have said they will see his practice closed down should be investigated instead.As GOD said do not least you want me to judge.
  • by ? on Apr 27, 2011 at 08:19 AM
  • by Anonymous on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:29 PM
    Dr. Nunn, I read your letter and it seems you blamed everyone that has every left your employment. I am sure by publicly posting an open letter on the internet you will now be charged with slander unless you have documented truth on what was written. My suggestion to you is to stop blaming everyone else and accept the responsibility that although the ones that were discharged from your practice may have been wrong, it was up to you to make sure the business was run correctly. I am interested to see what your discharged employees have to say and hear their side.
      by Rose on Apr 27, 2011 at 01:06 PM in reply to
      Well I have read your statement and since you cant place a name would tell me that you are one of the ones that got fired. I have seen what went down and i have never seen people be so vindictive how is he to blame if in fact his co/ workers was doing things behind his back witch when he found out your Butts was fired .... sorry you could not take being fired but what goes around will come around ..Dr Nunn there the ones who need help do your self a favor tell them to go else where ... I stand beside you dont give up god bless you and what you do for people .
        by Anonymous on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:58 PM in reply to Rose
        Rose, no I am not one of his former employees. I am actually someone that, at the good doctors request, read his letter and based on what I read, I did not once see him accept responsibility for his lack of management skills. He may be one of the greatest doctors in NC, but what happened under his care was unacceptable and for this he was punished. I was surprised that the good doctor placed the blame on everyone else. This is what bothered me and provoked me to comment. If I were you, Rose, I would have someone proof your comment prior to your posting. We use proper punctuation, nouns and verbs where I am from. One other thing, please use the proper spelling of which instead of witch and they're, in lure of there.
          by Rose on Apr 28, 2011 at 02:01 AM in reply to
          Well Who ever you are, you was not there .I do not care about my spelling it is clear that you could understand what I was saying.Unless you was there who are you to say he needs to take punishment , for something he had not done.How would you like it if you gave your life's work to helping people and get stabbed in the back for it ..
      by Jenny on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM in reply to
      Can you tell me where Dr. Nunn posted his letter so I may read it. I'm concerned.
  • by dave Location: new bern on Apr 26, 2011 at 03:51 PM
    As a physician I find what this man did reprehensible. He is not part of the mainstream medical community. He certainly does not reflect the values of most of the physicians I know. Unfortunately, a few bad apples... Most of the criminals identified on the Medicare Fraud web site are not physicians, just scam artists and crooks milking an imperfect system that pays money upfront and then asks questions.
  • by anyman Location: washington on Apr 26, 2011 at 02:38 PM
    anytime you hear the word "community" hold on, you getting ready to be screwed
  • by That's Nothing!! Location: USA on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    There are MANY Doctors that SAY that they work full time(40 hrs/wk) and get PAID for it, but work less than 20 hrs/week in MANY state facilities!!! There are some MDs that are medical directors of MULTIPLE(government and then private) places!! How can a MD be a full time Medical Director for more than one place? Then there are the other jobs also e.g. contract, consulting, etc. These MDs are making a fortune many times over and are basically commiting fraud anyway you look at it, and the state just turns a blind eye!!! I don't mind folks making a hussle, but if you turn in a time sheet that says you worked 40 hrs, YOU SHOULD AT LEAST BE ON SITE FOR 40 HOURS!!!!! The state is cutting back, but pay certain state employees full pay and benefits, but only get part time work, if they are lucky. You hear them say how much money they could make in private practice, yeah right, see how much you'd make in working part time in private practice!!!! and NO BENEFITS!!!! HOW ABOUT WORK FOR YOUR PAY OH SPECIAL ONES!!!!!
      by ?? on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:37 PM in reply to That's Nothing!!
      Doctors don't work 9-5 and punch a clock many of us work late into the night finishing up work while other people are tucked into bed. We work on weekends and holidays. We don't punch time clocks because being a physician is not a job but a lifestyle. Full time work around here for a physician is considered at least 60 hours a week, and most of us go beyond that.
        by Yeah Right!!! on Apr 27, 2011 at 07:04 AM in reply to ??
        You CAN punch a time clock!!! You will NOT punch one, because it would show how little work you truly perform. You may in fact work as much as you say; however, there are MANY that do NOT. I know for a fact that there are MDs that get paid for 40 hrs of work and are only on site maybe 20-26 hrs per week. Then go to their private practice. What you say sounds good, but in fact reality it's far from what you say!! The state allows these MDs to do as they please "AS long as your work is completed" So... if it takes you 2 1/2 hrs to see 30-40 pts., so be it. Imagine what would the response to a MD if he saw his private practice pts for a couple of mins for an initial eval!! Sounds like it's amatter of "IF the shoe fits" type of situation. STOP RIPPING OFF TAX PAYERS!!! WORK FOR YOUR MONEY!!!! If you work part time take part time pay!! STOP the FRAUD!!!!!
        by Church Lady Says!!! on Apr 27, 2011 at 08:00 AM in reply to ??
        "Aren't you special""" Yeah, I can't puch a time clock!!?? How do you puch a time clock on a "Lifestyle"!!! EXCUSE ME!!! What a PRIMA DONA!!!!! Sorry I forgot I was talking about a GOD!!!! MD are like mechanics, there are good ones and bad ones. Oh I forgot, there are GREEDY ones too!!!!! And ones that justify fraud by LIFESTYLE!!!!!
      by It Is Something on Apr 26, 2011 at 07:00 PM in reply to That's Nothing!!
      wow; perceptions can sometimes be far from reality; I doubt that you know the full story of the endless duties and responsibilities for that type of job within the state
        by Yes I Do!!!!! on Apr 27, 2011 at 07:27 AM in reply to It Is Something
        Some MAY have excessive duties, BUT there are MANY that do NOT!!! I know of some MDs that have contact jobs, consulting, etc., etc., and work those during business hours of the state job, where you are needed. Then you are NO where to be found for help with YOUR pts. e.g. clarifying orders, plans, etc. Pt go without help until the "Doc is in", THE NEXT DAY!!! If you only work 4 days a week, shouldn't you be around at least say 6 hrs a day. I know 10 hrs a day for a 4 day week would be too much to ask!!! multiple pages to locate an attending MD on their other job during hours that you're supposed to be on your day job!!?? Give me a break!!! You can not justify your absence from your supposed main job and you know it! Hopefully, the state will realize that allowing free reign of certain positions is NOT the best use of resources/monies. The state could save millions by just contracting out the MD positions, JUST LIKE THE PRIVATE SECTOR DOES!!!!! At least that way, TAXPAYERS/STATE WOULD GET WHAT THEY'RE PAYING FOR!!!
  • by Tim Location: Greenville on Apr 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    How about strapping him to a pole, beat the $%#@ out of him, strip him of his medical license and possessions, and send him on his merry way.... Probation? Fine? Give me a break.... It's time to start punishing people...."Time" on probation, or even in PRISON, is not punishment....if it were our prisons would be empty and the recidivism rate would be ZERO. Let's bring back the whip, the stocks, and the rope!
      by nunn on Apr 26, 2011 at 03:06 PM in reply to Tim
      Tim, find out information then make a decision...go to www.michaelknunn.com then make a decision...
      by nunn on Apr 26, 2011 at 03:25 PM in reply to Tim
      If you want information that hasn't been publishe, go to Community Wellness Center, New Bern, NC and read the letter to patients. Then if you must pass judgment, you will at least have a little more information to base your decision. Dr. Nunn
        by adotoo on Apr 26, 2011 at 06:54 PM in reply to nunn
        Mike, sounds like a difficult road you have been down for quite a few years now; as long as patient care remains the first and foremost concern, time should help ease the pain of your situation
        by the rookie on Apr 27, 2011 at 09:07 AM in reply to nunn
        i read the letters. at no time did you take any blame for mistakes that happened in your practice. you blamed everyone else.
  • by Paul Location: Greenville on Apr 26, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    Bordeaux

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120685119 - witn.com/a?a=120685119