Doctor Gets 2 Years, 4 Months In Prison For Fraud

The former owner of a private ambulance company has been sentenced to serve two years and four months in federal prison for Medicare and Medicaid fraud.

Dr. Janet Johnson-Hunter of Jacksonville must also pay a $10,000 fine and pay back $428,924 to Medicare and $46,165 to Medicaid.

The U.S. Attorney's Office says Johnson-Hunter pleaded guilty in 2009 to conspiring to conceal material facts in connection with the delivery of and payment for health care benefits, items, and services.

They say between January 2002 and August 2005 the doctor instructed employees at Coastline Care, Inc. to conceal facts in an effort to maximize the likelihood of reimbursements from Medicare and Medicaid.

The feds say for the most part, Medicare and Medicaid will not cover non-emergency ambulance transportation. They say the doctor told staff to re-write medical records so that the company could receive those reimbursements.

• by EMT Location: ENC on May 11, 2011 at 02:49 AM
    As an EMT I know that there are many other services in ENC that are doing the same thing. All services need to be investigated. All offenders need to pay all the monies back and yes they do deserve jail time. As far as Medicare/Medicaid payment, Medicare and Medicaid sets the rates at which services are to bill, services are not permitted to bill any less than what is set by Medicare and Medicaid. Medicare and Medicaid have very tight rules for the types of patients services can transport, so again all services need to be investigated.
  • by Monitor on May 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    Who, if anyone, monitors this at the federal level. Obviously she got caught but how long can these agencies allow these hundreds of thousands $ worth of crime go on. And once caught - shouldn't the $ be paid back - would go a LOOOOOOONG way in health care savings. I am only speaking to the ones in the wrong, not any service operating within the law
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on May 10, 2011 at 08:23 AM
    Good! She deserves to burn in hell for her greed and corruption.
  • by could write a book Location: enc on May 9, 2011 at 09:20 PM
    Both of my parents had to be transported by ambulance services. Plan to check out before I get that bad off. They provide a vital service. Addressing Medicare and Medicade fraud is terribly hard to do. Tried hard to do it myself with Medicare- got nowhere. It's killing the system.
  • by Mason Location: Seven Springs on May 9, 2011 at 05:53 PM
    If these bums don't need an ambulance, call them a cab. Why is the taxpayer responsible for transportation?
      by Ryan on May 9, 2011 at 11:29 PM in reply to Mason
      I think what the article is saying is that this lady was providing transportation to people who didn't need it, and then changing the documentation to show that they did so to get the reimbursement. I have no problem with transportation being provided if it is required, especially for the elderly.
  • by concerned citizen Location: enc on May 9, 2011 at 05:41 PM
    These ambulance service business is making a killing off the poor people. Something needs to be done a bout it, they charge way too much they are greedy, spending money on themselves instead of paying their workers a good salary. After all it is the workers that is bringing the money in not the owners.
      by EMT on May 9, 2011 at 07:42 PM in reply to concerned citizen
      I agree with you. Although I am grateful for my job, my salary and my insurance it is no where near comparable to what a non-emergency medical transport cost. Shoot, the loading fee alone is an average person's paycheck. Then add mileage cost, equipment and supplies...
  • by Clifton Location: Washington on May 9, 2011 at 03:57 PM
    Greed is what cause the economic collapse in 2008. Greed is what is wrong with the economy now. And greed is why folks can't make a good living anymore.
  • by rl Location: bear grass on May 9, 2011 at 03:57 PM
    A $10,000 fine is not the interest on $475,000 over the course of 3 or 4 years. And I bet she ends up in a country club prison.
  • by LSD Location: Henrico on May 9, 2011 at 03:37 PM
    I hope that the prosecution has reduced the good doctor to the status of a pauper. And I hope that her medical license is permanently revoked.
  • by Anonymous on May 9, 2011 at 02:49 PM
    Thats what is wrong in the US now, GREED!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121525339 - witn.com/a?a=121525339