Dirt Bike Rider Killed In Crash

A 27 year old Greenville man was killed when his dirt bike ran into the back of a city vehicle that was stopped in a center turn lane, with its emergency flashers blinking.

The Highway Patrol says Derrick Pittman of Greenville was killed Wednesday evening after the accident on Belvoir Rd., which is Highway 33, near Hop Tyson Rd.

Troopers say a Greenville Animal Control vehicle was stopped in the center turn lane on Belvoir Rd., with its emergency flashers blinking. Pittman was driving in the center turn lane and rear ended the city vehicle around 6:40 p.m. Wednesday, according to the Highway Patrol.

Animal Control Supervisor Tim Langley was driving the city vehicle. He was evaluated and released from Pitt County Memorial Hospital last night.

Troopers say Pittman was not wearing any protective gear, including a helmet. His bike was also not street legal, they say, and had no lights on it.

Pittman was traveling about 50 mph when he crashed, which is about the maximum speed his type of dirt bike would be able to go. There is no posted speed limit on that stretch of Belvoir Rd., troopers say, but Pittman's speed would have been within the legal limit.

Troopers say another dirt bike rider was there when Pittman crashed but left the scene. That rider was in the proper lane, and there are no pending charges against him. However, troopers are following up on leads to who he is so they can learn more about what led to the fatal crash.

• by Update Location: in the neighborhood.. on Oct 24, 2011 at 05:40 AM
    **Update** there were people right back OUT last night doing the Exact Same thing!! Around the Same Time!! What does it take for the people to "Get IT" i guess death wasn't enough? I had company who was literally Scared to leave my residence due to the fact of not wanting another incident to happen. What can be done? Anything?? Something REALLY Does NEED to BE DONE! & SOON!! GOD BLESS ALL of US..but By the GRACE of GOD Go I...
  • by Unnoticed Location: Around on Oct 23, 2011 at 07:13 PM
    U kno what all of yu that are saying negative things about the dirt bike rider b quiet bcuz yu were not their any of u n yes the man put his lights on after the dirt bike rider ran into his truck...this is Greenville for u if yu ain't got nothing good to say stop commenting thank you..Have a bless day all of u
  • by Glock .357 Sig Location: Ayden on Oct 21, 2011 at 06:54 AM
    A fatality involving an unlicensed mode of conveyance. Now let's talk about the ATV's on the road. Several times I have encountered ATV's racing on the road. On the Honolulu Road in Craven County, County Home Road and over on the VOA road near Washington off of 102. Almost got hit on the VOA road. Careless and reckless operators who think they have the right of way. They have no insurance, no license, most operating without helmets with young children riding on the back and traveling far too fast. If they are hit, whose fault is it? Who pays for damages? My insurance co. says it won't pay unless I carry a special uninsured motorist coverage which costs $$$. Enforcement needs to get these crazy drivers off the road. No wonder Kentucky has the traumatic injury fund that they tack on $50.00 to each ATV sold to help cover injury/damages. This is a problem that needs to be solved.
  • by Ration Al on Oct 21, 2011 at 05:19 AM
    sounds likes racing to me. 2 dirt bikes one in the correct lane and one in the center lane. Unless the guy was passing the other dirt bike. Ummm...dirt bike, not legal street bike, no helmet, no lights. If it looks like a duck.....
  • by B Location: Greenville on Oct 21, 2011 at 04:24 AM
    Yes parents need to be more aware of what their children are doing...BUT THIS GUY WAS 27! he made a bad mistake, but he is an adult. other reports that i have read also indicate he might have been under the influence of something...he also had his licence revoked...granted you don't need a licence for a dirt bike, but hey you also aren't supposed to take them on the road! I feel really bad that a life was lost and that Mr. Langley will be carrying that image in his head for the rest of his life. Prayers are with the families of those affected by this tragedy.
  • by Timmy Location: around the corner on Oct 20, 2011 at 07:02 PM
    It was only a matter of time before this happened at this location. It's not only dirtbikes and it's not just people old enough to know better. The kids are doing it as well. Sometimes it's a go kart, sometimes an atv, etc. Not much in the way of protective gear either. Something should have been done before this happened.
      by in the neighborhood on Oct 21, 2011 at 03:47 AM in reply to Timmy
      They are ALWAYS Riding these bikes in this neighborhood!! Someone would call GPD,they would come out, the bikes would always be put up,(don't know how they knew that GPD was coming) but then as soon as GPD was gone,bikes right back out!! I am so sorry that this happened,but as others have said,it was only a matter of time i guess...Prayers for the family.
  • by Timmy Location: bear grass on Oct 20, 2011 at 06:57 PM
    Punctuation, capitalization, etc would be a big help in understanding what you are trying to say.
  • by sunshine on Oct 20, 2011 at 06:43 PM
    From what I was told there were two witnesses to the accident that have said that the truck did not have any lights or flashers on at all. That the driver of the truck turned his lights on after Pittman hit the truck. Witnesses have said that there were not lights on the truck until after the accident and then the driver turned them on....
      by GC on Oct 20, 2011 at 08:44 PM in reply to sunshine
      Im sure the truck driver is upset even though it was not his fault so dont put it on him. flashers or no flashers its legal to stop a vehicle in the road. However, it is illegal to ride a dirtbike on the road...
      by Anonymous on Oct 20, 2011 at 09:16 PM in reply to sunshine
      regardless of blinking lights or not. he was in work vehicle stopped in the turning lane. this guy on a dirt bike, which isn't street legal, was riding his bike at a speed reasonable for the road. however, he wasn't wearing any protective gear which is also against the law. he shouldn't have been travelling at that rate of speed and not paying attention to what was in front of him. he made a lot of bad decisions that cost him his life. as for these witnesses you know, i sure hope they gave their statements to the police so that they can properly conduct their investigation.
      by ME on Oct 21, 2011 at 04:27 AM in reply to sunshine
      I happen to know Mr. Langley and I KNOW how professional he is...if he says he turned his lights on, then HIS LIGHTS WERE ON. if he even thought that this was his fault, he would say so. Hold Strong TIM!
  • by motoX rider Location: N. Pitt Co. on Oct 20, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    My deepest condolence and sympathy to the family and friends. I can only say that "There but for the grace of God go I". I am guilty of doing the same thing, riding my dirt bike on the road with no helmet, and have been fortunate enough to escape injury. I have come very close to misfortune, at one time riding down Porter Rd. doing max speed of 73 mph, racing my buddy, who was on a dirt bike too. I lost control in a curve. I was extremely lucky ! I still ride and am still guilty of the law, sometimes, but its what I like to do. There are some beautifull trails around here. God bless you, and again, my sincere condolences. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • by CAROLINE Location: G-VLLE on Oct 20, 2011 at 04:32 PM
    i'M SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THIS LOSS ,,BUT PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE, WHEN DRIVING A DIRT BIKE VERSE A CAR..PAY ATTENTION. THAT'S Y THEY ARE CALLED D-I-R-T B-I-K-E ON THE DIRT AND NOT THE FREAKING HWY.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132231098 - witn.com/a?a=132231098