Northern Lights Show May Repeat Tonight

The skies across many states, including North Carolina, lit up Monday night thanks to the Northern Lights.

We had calls, emails and Facebook posts throughout the night inquiring about the bright red sky.

The Northern Lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis, spilled across the Canadian border into the USA and was seen as far south as Arkansas.

People in Eastern Carolina reported seeing the lights between 9:30 and 10:00 p.m.

WITN Meteorologist Philllip Williams says there is about a 30% chance of seeing the lights again tonight. Keep an eye out after dark and look to the north.

If you snap any photos of the light show, be sure to share them with us at Carolina Camera.

• by Mark Location: Bath on Oct 26, 2011 at 12:07 AM
    December 21, 2012. It's coming.
      by Bubba on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:51 AM in reply to Mark
      Yea, and so is December 22.
  • by Benton Mangold Location: Simpson, NC on Oct 25, 2011 at 06:16 PM
    I once lived in Fairbanks, AK, and remember looking up at the skies, mesmerized, in -30 degree nights.It takes your breath away.
  • by solar activity on Oct 25, 2011 at 01:30 PM
    the sun must be really busy!!
  • by yoo Location: hyco on Oct 25, 2011 at 01:07 PM
    saw this in Swan Quarter last nightt!
  • by I Saw It Years Ago on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    Back when I was a child, my parents took us on a vacation in the upper parts of Canada. When I saw the aurora borealis, I didn't think anything of it. Now that I'm old, I really appreciate it. (even though I barely remember it now)
  • by John Location: Richlands on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    So is this any indication or add any validity to the fact the ice cap is melting away? Since it can be seen so far from the North Pole.
      by OSOC on Oct 25, 2011 at 12:15 PM in reply to John
      No, not related.
        by Common Sense on Oct 25, 2011 at 01:51 PM in reply to OSOC
        I suspect Professor Snakester knows as much about the subject as I do, which prompts me to wonder at the surety of his response. Politically influenced?
          by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2011 at 04:26 PM in reply to Common Sense
          He's actually right for once. The ice caps have nothing to do with auroras.
  • by J-man Location: Kinston on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    Magnetic fields?.. solar radiation?.. particles?.. You people are silly, its the aliens preparing the atmosphere for the 12-21-12 invasion... DUH!!!
      by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2011 at 01:48 PM in reply to J-man
      12-21-12? Isn't that Herman Cain's tax plan?
  • by mo Location: beaufort county on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    well i dont know what causes em' all i know is da sure are purdy
  • by John Location: Washington on Oct 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    If I would have known I would have looked for it. I wish the WITN would have posted this ahead of time not after the fact!!
  • by kristie Location: columbia on Oct 25, 2011 at 09:09 AM
    My husban and i live in columbia north carolina by the sound and saw it last night while we were walking our dogs.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132506823 - witn.com/a?a=132506823