Deputy Discusses Living With MS

By: Brittany Gunter
By: Brittany Gunter

A Pitt County Sheriff’s Deputy has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and while the disease has affected his day to day life and caused him to give up the job he loves most, he still continues to do what he can to help the community.

When you walk into the Pitt County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Tim Peaden is usually the first person you will see. He’s been with the department for 24 years, but he hasn’t always been sitting at the front desk. For many years he was out patrolling helping to stop crime in the community; that is until a year ago when a disease with no cure stopped him.

Peaden was diagnosed with Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, a chronic disease that attacks the central nervous system, which is made up of the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. There are many symptoms of the disease. For Peaden it’s created problems with his short term memory, walking and made him feel more tired. MS has not only affected him physically, but also emotionally. Peaden says, “It really changed a lot of my plans in the future, I’ve had to come back from a lot of trials.”

Peaden had to stop his law enforcement work in the field and face the uncertainty that he might never again do the work he loved. Peaden says, “From day to day I just have to manage what I do, I just can't jump up and do the things I used to do, I have to know my limitations, and pretty much deal with them in between.”

There are 5,200 people in North Carolina that are living with MS and 400,000 people in the United States. After Peaden was diagnosed he had a lot of questions and went looking for some answers. He says one of the biggest things that helped him was when he contacted the National MS Society and they sent him publications and literature that helped him to get back on track.

He also got support from his family and his co-workers at the Sheriff’s Office. Peaden says, “It's good knowing that people are behind you.”

Peaden realized his life was not over. He now takes daily medication which helps him to work. Although he is not able to be out patrolling, he is happy to be at the Sheriff's Office working with community members. He has also taken a new active role in raising awareness about MS and money to help those with the disease, which is why you will find a whole lot of footprints around his desk.

Each footprint represents a dollar that someone is donating to Walk MS of Greenville. The walk will take place on April 30th. The Sheriff’s Office has their own team to support Peaden called Team Blue Line. So far they have raised thousands of dollars.

If you are interested in signing up for the walk or want to donate you can click on the link below for more information.

• by me Location: at home on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    to srcaufalot----if you are truly disabled, you must not be talking to right people. If you haven't been able to get help and you know you are disabled, try harder to get the help you need. Don't you see all the commercials about the lawyers who say they can help you? Give that a try and God Bless.
  • by srcaufalot Location: farmville on Mar 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Just because he's a Law officer he gets news coverage,I've been living the past 3 years wid Degenerative Disc Disease,had surgery 2 years ago and have not gotten any better and can't get help from our Government.I worked and payed my Taxes for what,no help when I'm in need.I can't work due to my condition and have been out of the past three years.SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE !!!!!
      by Dave on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM in reply to srcaufalot
      I agree. What about us "average" Joe's?
      by Anonymous on Mar 27, 2011 at 04:42 PM in reply to srcaufalot
      Sniff, sniff... Smells like jealousy Scruffy!
      by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM in reply to srcaufalot
      So, you're saying that some how this is Officer Peaden's fault or WITN's fault??? You need to relax and be thankful for all your blessings my friend! Don't be angry. What good is that going to do you?
  • by Hank Location: Pitt on Mar 25, 2011 at 03:40 AM
    Deputy Peaden : I have also been disagnosed with MS amoung other illnesses. I was an active public servant much like yourself, and could not go back to work as there are days where I cannot even move or get out of bed. This illness is very real, and most doctors out there do not believes it exists. Take one day at a time. Do not ever give up. Some days would seem it is easier to give up all together, but with a little hope and a strong positive attitude, you will make it. I have been dealing with this for the past 8 years and everyone thinks it is a made up illness. The pain is very real and so are the spots on your brain. Keep your head up!
  • by Tammy Location: Wintervillle on Mar 24, 2011 at 07:34 PM
    I have know Tim for a very long time. Tim is the kind of man you like to call a friend. I worked with part time at Peaden's Grill. He and then partner Willie were the best the Sheriffs office could ask for. Tim stay strong and my prays go out to you, your wife Jackie and your kids. God Bless You.
      by Jessia P. on Mar 25, 2011 at 04:16 AM in reply to Tammy
      Thanks Tammy we appreciate all the prayers we can get. Btw, Jackie is his mother in law:)
  • by Tony Location: Winterville NC on Mar 24, 2011 at 05:33 PM
    Tim is a heck of a nice guy and when you walk in at the front office of the Sheriff's office he will help you any way he can. ROCK ON Brother and god bless!!!
  • by Elizabeth Nichols on Mar 24, 2011 at 05:16 PM
    Tim is the epitome of a true, public servant. He is a good, God-fearing man, a wonderful husband and father and a colleague who is adored.
  • by Lisa Location: Greenville on Mar 24, 2011 at 04:51 PM
    God Bless you and your family you are a strength to us all. Keep up the Good Work and Keep Your Faith.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118611044 - witn.com/a?a=118611044