Deputy Accused Of Assault Speaks To WITN After Charges Dropped

Chris Johnson, who resigned earlier this month from the Martin County Sheriff's Office, was in Pitt County Court Wednesday accused of assaulting his girlfriend, and the charges were dismissed. Johnson told WITN that it was not his girlfriend but rather a friend that made the accusations. Johnson was accused of punching her in the mouth and knocking her two front teeth loose.

He was hired as a Martin County deputy in May 2010 and before that was a police officer trainee in Greenville for 3 months. He says he resigned on his own.

"I have a great deal of respect for Martin County Sheriffs Office and the county, and I deemed it would be necessary and I felt it would be in my best interest because of the negative publicity of the situation."

Johnson says now that the charges were dropped all parties can begin the healing process.

• by c-had Location: police state nc on Mar 1, 2011 at 06:39 AM
    I never said they didnt deserve respect,just NO MORE than an individual that works at Mc Donalds.Im just tired of you cats acting like you are doing charity work or something.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 26, 2011 at 08:08 PM
    c-had, So when I go into McDonalds and order a bigmac and fry, I can curse you out and spit on you while you hand me my food? I mean you are paid to do the job right?
  • by leo Location: greenville on Feb 26, 2011 at 01:32 PM
    To c-had....Do you honestly believe that any person who has ever been charged with a crime is guilty? You need to wake up....this case was bogus from the start.
  • by c-had Location: police state nc on Feb 26, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    Just like the B.C. bulls!@3 . Cops can take steroids,beat women and then bust you with a joint.They get off while you pay.What a joke. All of the people posting about these poor disrespected LEO'S NEED to get it straight,they are paid to do the job .Enough said.I already knew this would be the outcome,no surprises here.
  • by to friend of chris on Feb 26, 2011 at 07:44 AM
    Read the story !! It said it was his girl friend was hit and friend reported it. big surprise this state is is such bad shape when people can't read. Read the story. people that are victims of domestic abuse tent to defend their abuser.
  • by Friend of Chris on Feb 25, 2011 at 08:28 PM
    To lori, you must not understand things, did you even hear Chris talk in the video, if you did you would know that the woman was his friend not his girlfriend. But friends like this, we don't need or want. If I was Chris, I would have resigned to. For if he was called to someones house and he told them his name, they might not want him there, because of all the bad talk that has been on him. As far as the woman, glad she not around to teach my children.
  • by to: to leo Location: greenville on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    There was a reason this case was dismissed. An accusation is an accusation. There was more than enough evidence which clearly was in his favor. There are a lot of crooked cops, attorneys, and judges in the world, but you can't honestly believe they are stupid enough to try and attempt a cover up in this case....be realistic...facts are facts
  • by to leo on Feb 25, 2011 at 08:08 AM
    read the story. and yes i'm serious. not all leo are good and not all a bad. the ones that hit women are bad!! cops covering for other cops big surprise.
  • by Jane Doe Location: New Bern on Feb 25, 2011 at 06:39 AM
    BiasedinPosting You obviously don't know Johnson that well.. I'm not a teacher & what's happening to !ME! is NONE of your business.
  • by #1fan Location: greenville on Feb 25, 2011 at 06:23 AM
    He is FINE!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116786608 - witn.com/a?a=116786608