NEW INFO: Twelve Dogs Found Dead In Pitt County

A Pitt County man is facing an animal cruelty charge after he left twelve dogs in a metal dog box all day and the dogs suffocated.

Deputies say Joseph Nicholson says he put the beagles in the box in the back of his pickup as he went hunting Saturday.

Deputies say the dogs didn't have any food or water. Nicholson says when he returned the dogs were dead.

Deputies charged Nicholson with misdemeanor animal cruelty. He was given a $1000 dollar bond.

• by Doglover Location: Wayne County on Dec 18, 2011 at 03:24 AM
    So you mean to tell me that this DUMMY kills 12 dogs and he only get a $1000 fine? No time in lock-up?? This seriously breaks my heart. What is this pathedic world coming to smh wow!...I thought animal abuse was considered a felony? What happend here?
  • by Josh Location: Havelock on Nov 29, 2011 at 05:05 AM
    Dog hunters ruin neighboring private and leased land with little concer and many times intentionally. I say this having hunted this state for the past 13 years and being a member in multiple still hunting clubs. The vast majority of dog hunters could care less about still hunters rights. We have had thwm drop off their dogs on our property on a Thursday or Friday to push the deer off of our property. In many states if you see a dog running a deer you shoot the dog and call the owner.
      by smosh on Nov 29, 2011 at 04:48 PM in reply to Josh
      I have hounds right now that have been hunting in this state longer than you have! you still hunters are all the same ( you want it your way or no way)if you didn't have dog hunting to bash and complain about what would it be then? In those states that they shoot the dog for running a deer,maybe you should consider living there
        by Josh on Nov 30, 2011 at 04:40 AM in reply to smosh
        Great reponse! I complain about dog hunters running dogs on our property and your reply I want it my way. WELL YOU ARE CORRECT! Learn some respect. If you cant control them dont run them.
      by Don't get mad on Nov 29, 2011 at 05:52 PM in reply to Josh
      Write your county commissioners, sign the petition on the website, write the NCWRC and express your views regarding your personal private property rights.. Don't let these Dog Hunters bother you.. They are bullies and little boys at the end of the day....
  • by Please ban dog deer hunting on Nov 26, 2011 at 05:46 PM
    Please google ban deer dog hunting and sign the petition..
      by ban it all! on Nov 29, 2011 at 04:50 PM in reply to Please ban dog deer hunting
      if you ban one type of hunting I say ban it all!please google ban all hunting
        by Grow up. on Dec 1, 2011 at 06:41 PM in reply to ban it all!
        Stay on topic. Deer dog hunters are a black eye on the hunting community.
  • by 40some on Nov 25, 2011 at 05:34 PM
    Once a year, my squirrel hunting dog and myself go hunting. She absolutely loves it even if we never get anything. My son loves it too. She lets me drive her truck to the woods. Gets all excited for days if I pull a rifle out of the closet. Doesn't sleep the night before, just lays there on the bed and looks at me all night long. You'll never ban all dog hunting. Duck dogs and bird dogs generally live the same life, a pampered spoiled life. If the wife said, "It's me or the dog!" I'd miss her, the wife that is.
  • by Booboo on Nov 24, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    In reply to Dawn, I can tell that you are one of those ignorant people that I was speaking about. For one,it's obvious you know nothing about hunters nor their dogs. Also, I never said he wasn't guilty, I said in this area people believe anything they hear or read.I don't know whether he's guilty or not. They haven't called me in for jury duty, yet, and no, I'm not a hunter. Nor do I know this man from Adam and yes I'm a dog lover, Did he tell you he was guilty of killing his dogs?
  • by good ole boy Location: black jack nc on Nov 23, 2011 at 04:24 PM
    Everyone is jumping all on the hunters are bad and mistreat there dogs but this is an issue that has nothing to do with a matter of if the abuser hunts or not what about o-g thug who trains his pit to fight or a recently fired sheriff of pitt county by the name pollard who failed to feed her dogs. Im not here to dispute animal cruelty is a problem but please quit pretending that all dog-hunters are abusive and cruel to there dogs what about the rich or famous such as micheal vick can we assume all rich people are cruel and fight there pets nearly all of you in this forum are guilty of discrimination perhaps next time an underage kid from an upper middle class family kills someone in a mvc under influence all dog hunters should post how all upper mc parents urge there sport jock and cheerleading children to be cool the closing statement is this guy was wrong dont blame me or other compassionate animal loving hunters of his charges because we share hobbies>
  • by Lauren Location: Greenville, NC on Nov 23, 2011 at 07:56 AM
    I have a life & will comment on this to get the word out-it's the only chance to STOP animal cruelty is for people to VOICE, animals have no voice, WE are their VOICE!! This man got less than he deserved, I don't have to be there. 12 dogs died because he left them ALL in a box--whether they had food and water or not, that's just cruel and stupid. Some people really have no business owning animals. I am a veterninary technician and an active volunteer with Triangle Beagle Rescue & Sandhill Beagle Rescue, and I own beagles myself, and there are cases everyday of hunters not caring for their dogs. They starve them to make them "hunt better". It's absolutely rediculous. For every act of animal cruelty out there, whatever they do to their animals should be done to them as their form of punishiment. Any of you who defend this man are just as bad and GUILTY as he is.
      by 40some on Nov 27, 2011 at 08:28 PM in reply to Lauren
      How can I find this beagle rescue? I need some new hunting dogs.
      by Doglover on Dec 18, 2011 at 03:28 AM in reply to Lauren
      smh this seriously breaks my heart. I am literally in tears over here. How can "people" be so cruel? I agree with you Lauren 1000%! They gave Michael Vick some time why not this dummy? Animal cruelty is animal cruelty!
  • by BooBoo Location: Chocowinity on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? In this area people believe anything they read or hear about, whether it is true or not.
      by Dawn on Nov 23, 2011 at 04:22 PM in reply to BooBoo
      You ARE guilty if you ADMIT to a crime. Use your brain!
  • by bob Location: pitt county on Nov 22, 2011 at 07:23 PM
    obviously none of yall have a life if your just gonna sit here and and comment back and forth.did any of yall know the man?didi you see him with his dogs all day?50 percent of the time the news assumes stuff and puts it up here for popularity. this man loved his dogs and went hunting with them that day. they have no proof the dogs didnt have water or food.get your facts straight.
  • by Billy Location: Washington on Nov 22, 2011 at 05:03 PM
    You say a few bad dog hunters give us a bad name, but you never see still hunters in the news in the hot seat! I pray to god that they do away with this shameful hunting in north carolina!! I use to dog hunt myself and after I saw how dogs got mistreated and abused often killed because they didn't perform as expected I decided to hang it up and become a real hunter!!
      by Ex-Dog Hunter too on Nov 22, 2011 at 05:38 PM in reply to Billy
      Billy, I got out too and grew up.. I realized how trashy most, not all, Deer Dog Hunters really are.. The day I saw a deer dog hunter kick his dog and then strangle it from a leash, I got out..
        by Anonymous on Nov 23, 2011 at 05:12 PM in reply to Ex-Dog Hunter too
        I went hunting at Allpine's a few years and saw a man let his dogs out. One dog ran straight to the truck, climbed into the front seat of the truck. Then I saw the hunter shot that dog and throw him in the ditch.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134186873 - witn.com/a?a=134186873