SHERIFF: Man Found Shot, Death Still Under Investigation

Authorities say a man found dead in his Pitt County home last week died from a gunshot wound, but they're not yet saying his death was a homicide.

Danny Tyson's body was found last Wednesday at his Dynamite Drive home by a concerned co-worker. The 55-year-old man was found slumped over on the couch.

Sheriff Neil Elks says items were discovered missing from the home, but they're not sure if they were missing in relation to the man's death, or were taken afterward. Elks says there were no signs of forced entry into the home or any signs of a scuffle. He says they're waiting on toxicology and gun residue tests.

The sheriff said Tyson had no indications of suicidal tendencies.

Previous Story

Authorities say there are still many unanswered questions about the death of a Pitt County man.

The sheriff's office is not releasing the autopsy results at this time as the investigation continues.

The Pitt County Sheriff's Office got a call to the 16 hundred block of Dynamite Drive just after 8:30 Wednesday morning.

They say a concerned co-worker went to the home of 55-year-old Danny Tyson after Tyson did not show up for work.

Detectives say they could see from the door that Tyson slumped over on the couch.

Tyson was pronounced dead by Bell Arthur EMS.

Investigators say the last time Tyson was seen alive was Christmas Eve.

• by friend on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    My prayers and condolences go out to the Tyson's. Danny was a thoughful, respectful, kind, helpful, hardworking, the kind of friend who treated everyone like family,and would help a stranger in need. My family and friends have known him over 28 years and Danny would always have a hello, how are you and what's going on...as soon as he saw you. Your family did something right raising Danny and he will be missed by a lot of friends and family! We have God in our hearts, minds, and soul so Danny will never be forgotten. My God bless the Tyson Family and Police with the answers they need. May God Bless North Carolina and his people!
  • by NC Starr Location: Greenville on Jan 4, 2011 at 02:21 PM
    First off, my prayers go out to the Tyson family. All of this "he said she said... I know what happened...did you hear..." mess has to stop!!! Unless you were THERE no one knows what happened, as of yet. I respect Sheriff Elks for calling in the SBI on a case like this. It does not mean his officers or office can't handle this type of case, but that he understands the family & community(I can say community b/c I live less than a mile from Mr. Tyson) needs answers and the SBI has specialist that will HELP his office find out what happened and give the FAMILY the answers they need to find closure.
  • by Doug Location: Swords on Jan 4, 2011 at 07:29 AM
    My condolences to the Tyson family in this time of grief.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 3, 2011 at 07:26 PM
    No Sheriff Elks did not run on big crime = call in SBI. But he will call the SBI if one of his employees is involved in a suspicious death or drowning.
  • by Kane on Jan 3, 2011 at 06:00 PM
    need to call in the SBI. Isn't that what Elks ran on? Big crime=call in SBI?
  • by Vicki Corbett Avino Location: Beaufort, NC on Jan 3, 2011 at 05:31 PM
    I grew up in Farmville and know a few of the members of the Tyson family. It has been awhile but I do extend my deepest sympathy to you all. I am totally shocked at the disrespect that is shown in the comments. I can only hope most of these people will find something more worthwhile to do with their time. I remember Danny as being a nice and well mannered person. I'm sorry for your loss and can only pray for the Lord to give you strength in this tragic event in your lives. God Bless
  • by Shocked Location: Greenville on Jan 3, 2011 at 04:27 PM
    Grown people should not be acting like this, Eastern North Carolina. I cannot believe the conduct here.
  • by Irrateted! Location: Shine on Jan 3, 2011 at 05:20 AM
    this is so childish how you "adults" have to fuss back and forth, Instead of worrying about who is family and who ain't..how about worry about danny,He would be very upset if he was to read these comments,you say that you miss him,well apperntley you are to busy worrying about who family is!
  • by Anonymous Location: Farmville NC on Jan 2, 2011 at 05:20 PM
    This is simply sad that a person can't send out a condolensce to the family without being ridiculed and judged!! There really are people out there who genuinely care...that's what the comments should be about!! My prayers are with his entire family and friends!
  • by Mimi Location: Eagles Mere, PA on Jan 1, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    I have known Danny for many years and found out about this tragedy through a mutual friend. He was a good man, who is already missed immensely by friends and family. He was a gentle soul, so it even more awful that his life was cut short in this mindless act of violence. My prayers are with his family and friends. RIP Danny

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112653209 - witn.com/a?a=112653209