Police Say Summer Place Death A Homicide; Victim Identified

An autopsy is finished on the body of a man found dead Sunday morning in Greenville, but police remain tight-lipped on the case.

Michael Burgwardt's body was found Sunday morning at Summer Place Gardens around 9:50 a.m. The police report lists the case as a homicide.

An upstairs neighbor tells WITN News that she saw the 64 year old man's vehicle parked, with its trunk popped open. She went downstairs where his door was cracked open and she saw Burgwardt's legs on the floor. The woman then called 911.

Neighbors say Burgwardt was a landlord for several tenants at the complex.

The Pitt County Medical Examiner's Office says an autopsy was done Monday afternoon, but referred all inquiries to Greenville police. A spokesman this afternoon did not return our phone calls for additional information.

It's the second murder in Greenville within four days. Thursday night Leroy Staton was stabbed in the parking lot of Jaycee Park on Cedar Lane. No one has been arrested in either homicide.

So far this year Greenville has had five murders, tying the number from 2010.

Previous Story

A death investigation is underway at an apartment complex in Greenville.

EMS officials contacted Greenville police around 10 a.m. Sunday after a body was discovered inside an apartment at Summer Place Gardens.

The body was found inside apartment 4 of building 3212.

Police have not released the identity.

We will bring you more details as soon as they become available.

• by nick on Jan 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    we worked on summerplace when they burned down he was a nice man he didnt deserve this
  • by J Perry Location: Summer Place Apartments on Nov 27, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    He was my landlord a nice person, now who do we pay rent to and will we have to move?
  • by goodness Location: greenville on Nov 23, 2011 at 07:12 PM
    I live in the area and its quiet almost too quiet i had talked to him that saturday he was working on an apartment as far as i know he has no kids and an ex wife i wonder who they pay rent to now
  • by mandi Location: d on Nov 22, 2011 at 07:27 PM
    I live in summe rplace. and I am not on section 8 or anything from the government. I live right across from where he was found. our section is not bad. no drugs, no violence. just peace and quiet. he was a very nice person that didnt deserve this at all. M prayers r with the family.
  • by Greenville Location: Greenville on Nov 21, 2011 at 03:56 PM
    Ok, Calvin H and Bennie Roundtree step in and help out, you keep talking about all the good you do! I'm still waiting to see it.
  • by Chuck on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    Another sad crime in a very bad section of town. Police need to clean up this town & Get rid of these thugs.
      by 40some on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM in reply to Chuck
      It's the court system and laws that are broken, on second thought it's the social structure that's broke too, not the police. They arrest em when they can, the courts turn em loose, the welfare system created them.
  • by Google oogle on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    Have you every heard of Google?
  • by e Location: greenville,nc on Nov 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    People, everybody that lives in Summer Gardens is not on SECTION 8 and WELFARE!!!!, What are you saying? and it has black, white, mexican, indian,biracial couples, and hardworking people. some people own their own businesses.I am sorry this happen and I hope whoever did this is caught and punished it's sad that something like this had to happen I'm sure this man has a family, probably some grandchildren and it grieves my soul about the violence that's happening in our city.What can we do to prevent these tragedies? Probably somebody held him up, or thought he had money. to the person who did this was it worth it? you destroyed two lives, think about the two families you destroyed may GOD have MERCY on your SOUL. To the decease family members: My Prayers are with You.MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES AND MAY HE GUIDE YOU THRU THIS SAD TIME.
      by I live nearby on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM in reply to e
      I don't think they are saying "all" that live there are on section 8. I also hope they don't mean that all that use section 8 are bad. It's just that there are a few that make all look bad. It's a shame to have to say but it is true. I pray for this Man's family, friends, & tennants.
  • by investor Location: greenville, nc on Nov 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    I'm pretty sure that a few buildings in this apartment complex were for sale. With a landlord being murdered, I'm sure there will be a huge attraction to this place...NOT.. If these folks went out and got jobs and quit living off of goverment handouts we would not have these problems.
      by Anonymous on Nov 21, 2011 at 01:43 PM in reply to investor
      Everyone in his complex has a job you donkey. I know cause I live there and helped him many of times and to rent a place there you had to have a job and provide a valid id and no crimnal or drug history.
  • by Dave Location: G-Vegas on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    Two Words...Section 8

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134210568 - witn.com/a?a=134210568