DWI Charges Dropped In 5th Street Fatal Crash

Drunk driving charges have been dropped against a teen who police say was behind the wheel in a deadly car wreck in Greenville two weeks ago.

Omar Chahid was charged with DWI hours after his vehicle flipped over on East Fifth Street, killing one man and injuring three other people.

Greenville police spokesman Sgt. Carlton Williams says dropping the charges was a strategic move on the district attorney's part. Williams says if the DWI charge had been resolved in court then they wouldn't be able to bring up other charges once test results come back from the accident.

Killed in the March 18th crash was 22-year-old Taylor Weiss of Greenville. Injured, in addition to Chahid, were 17-year-old Genna Browning, 18-year-old Emmy Arny, and 18-year-old Nora Sugar, all of Greenville.

• by Anonymous Location: Greenville on Apr 12, 2011 at 05:53 PM
    What's taking so long to file charges against this guy? It's been nearly a month since this happened. Is he gonna get away with murdering our friend and walking away like it never even happened? Where is JUSTICE? Do we have to wait to see more cases like this in Greenville where drunk and high kids get away with a slap on the wrist, only to have something like this happen again and again and again?
  • by HAHA on Apr 7, 2011 at 07:25 PM
    I can not wait to see this guy get charged with probably 10 things all at once, then im sure he wont have that damn smirk on his face.
  • by srcaufalot Location: farmville on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:23 AM
    But no one can tell us why these charges were drop,He was drivin drunk and killed somebody and left the scene of an accident, what gives him the right to drive drunk and murder someone !!!!!
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Apr 3, 2011 at 09:54 AM
    Shameeka is probably Mindy yearning for a change.
  • by ME Location: bath on Apr 3, 2011 at 04:28 AM
    TO KIM you dont have to read any of this if you want witn to stop letting people post you wouldnt be up here
  • by really?? on Apr 2, 2011 at 01:23 PM
    DWI charges were dropped from this man who got drunk, got behind the wheel of a car which resulted in another person dying, yet Kamil Arrington fell asleep behind the wheel and is being charged?!? Talk about a mess!!
  • by J.M.M Location: Greenville on Apr 2, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    As it has been stated before, and you may not be able to comprehend... the Shameeka commenter is obviously someone pretending to be an uneducated, lower class, black female. Come on people, why would a "ghetto" mama make it her business to respond to everything you idiots reply. No, let me delve further, why would a "Shameeka" care about reading a story regarding a young biracial (Morrocan/white) boy. She would be more inclined to reply to the black teen mom assault story. But, that is how the majority of you racist bigots think and feel about most blacks in ENC. With your "ebonics" mockery and any and all negative stereotypical comments, its no wonder this story has turned into a racial dispute. The idiot made an ignorant comment, and you bit the bait, hook line and sinker. So, look to the posted comments and see just how deep racism is embedded in the soul of ENC. For that reason alone, the "race card" use is taken out of context. For the record, if Omar wasnt a child of color, I can guarantee the majority of you would be making some sort of sentimental excuse for this tragedy, like the majority of you do. As a 1x DWI offender (luckily Ive never been in accident or drove far from the bar before getting pulled over) I have the utmost sympathy for this tragic event. We made the mistake of getting behind the wheel after drinking. Because of the shame of being arrested and being convicted, I am categorized no different than Omar. "I am a convicted DWI offender." Plain and simple. Oh yeah, statistics show that drivers have driven under influence 84 times, before getting a DWI. So save the self righteous comments for someone who cares.
  • by don't promote hate on Apr 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    This is the most disturbing post and comments I have ever read on this site!WOW! I thought Eastern NC had its problems but after reading this I realize the racism,the violence, not trusting law enforcement are very serious issues! I agree with the earlier Kim who said witn should stop having a comment section.I thought the usual sports comments about college rivalries are juvenile but these comments here promote potential violence! witn stop having a comments section or either delete all comments when they are obviously getting out of hand! crime is bad enough already, I know you guys ran a report that crime dropped try checking out some crime city data numbers nationally , you won't like what you see about this area! witn you must at least get tougher with these comments! The kinds of thing said here is promoting anger and violence!
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Apr 3, 2011 at 09:46 AM in reply to don't promote hate
      The comment section is a part of any news station or paper. The comments do not 'cause' violence. The real violence is promoted by gangs, unsupervised youths, drugs, to name a few. These comments are only a 'snapshot' of the opinion of society, as a whole. You can't shout 'stop commenting' and keep people from thinking what they think. I'd rather know what people really think, wouldn't you? Not all the comments are harsh. You must admit, this accident is 'over the top' in irresponsible behavior by the people involved. Would you also tell WITN to stop reporting the news? It's the same thing. Everyone has an opinion; not all are the same. People are not the same; some good, some not so good, some just plain bad. Let this comment section serve as a reality check for that. Just keep doing the right thing yourself, no matter what others do or say.
  • by Anonymous Location: Greenville on Apr 2, 2011 at 06:44 AM
    I couldn't agree with you more. This place is very sad with the race car. I grew up in a predominantly white area with maybe 50 (if that) blacks in my high school of 3,200 and I am not racist. The racism in this place is disturbing! It doesn't matter what topic is posted, someone tosses in the good old race card. Grow up people! Also, this is a child we are talking about. All of these people that are slandering this kid, take five minutes and think about how you would feel if this was your child. He was intoxicated!!! Obviously he was not thinking with a clear mind and his actions weren't the same as they would typically be. Instead of wanting to throw the book at him, pray for him. He's going to need it and a lot of support as well. He has to live with this every day of his life. I hope this kid turns out to be an outstanding citizen and that he does something absolutely amazing with his life. While I'm praying for him and his family, I'll pray for those of you that are judgemental and carry so much hate in your hearts.
      by SBI on Apr 2, 2011 at 01:39 PM in reply to
      Spoken like a true liberal. Unbelievable!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 2, 2011 at 04:47 AM
    The DA could have kept the charges and pursued more later. They did not have to drop them.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Apr 3, 2011 at 09:48 AM in reply to
      I thought the same thing. Seems, if anything, the DUI would exacerbate the other charges.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119061034 - witn.com/a?a=119061034