D.A. Says Deputy Lied; Charged In Fatal Crash

A Craven County deputy sheriff has been charged in a fatal car crash nearly two weeks ago that killed a woman.

Deputy Bradley Tabor has been charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle and reckless driving. He was released on a $5,000 bond.

District Attorney Scott Thomas says a Highway Patrol investigation shows Tabor was driving his cruiser at an estimated 100 miles per hour when he collided with Mildred Worley's van on U.S. 70. Thomas says the deputy was not responding to an emergency call, nor were his blue lights or siren on. The D.A. says the deputy lied about Worley's vehicle being stopped in the highway with its lights out.

The accident happened around 4:15 a.m. on June 11th east of James City.

Thomas says the deputy had been dispatched to a call, but minutes before the collision he had been told to disregard. The D.A. says there was plenty of time for Tabor to slow down to the posted speed limit of 55 m.p.h.

The investigation shows the woman's van was traveling about 50 miles per hour and she had her lights on.

Tabor has an August 23rd court date.

Craven County Sheriff Jerry Monette say Tabor tried to resign Friday, but failed to give proper notice. He was subsequently fired from the department.

Monette says he's sorry to the Worley family and the Craven County community. He feels there's been a violation of the public trust. "There are times when out officers need to exceed the posted speed limit. But this time was not one of those times," the sheriff told WITN News.

Monette says Tabor is a fine young man who made a terrible judgment call.

• by stevo Location: havelock on Sep 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    1985 N.C. Highway Patrol Trooper Teddy Glenn Pollard is found not guilty of misdemeanor death by motor vehicle in connection with a crash on March 16 that killed Havelock teenager Margaret Elizabeth Smith. This officer was running in the suicide lane, off duty, in the middle of havelock, at an estimated 80 mph.from what I remember he was from the charlotte area, headed to a condo at the beach, in a SHP cruiser. Found NOT GUILTY. Tell me theres not a different set of rules for officers.
      by Anonymous on Sep 8, 2011 at 05:23 PM in reply to stevo
      there isn't. officer tabor is sitting in jail.
  • by Dais Location: NC on Jul 14, 2011 at 06:08 PM
    To Ronald S. Lundy God bless you, I hope everything goes well for you.
  • by Dais Location: NC on Jul 13, 2011 at 07:51 PM
    I know how you feel, because I was also wrongly accuse and deputy got away with it. but because the people in this states allow this to go on. I learn the hard way, this is how things are done here. and because of that deputy wrongly accusing me, I had to get Surveillance camera on my SUV to get them off my rear end or else I would have been wrongly accuse again. corrupted deputy will only Ruin citizen drivers record.
  • by Ronald S. Lundy on Jul 12, 2011 at 03:11 PM
    I had an on going 2 year trial that ended today.the police report by officer Tabor was contradictory to the other officers statement and included several inconsistencies in several different documents the fact that this was resolved today means I spent the past 2 years having a harder time finding gainful employment in this state due to it being on my record. I was followed for 3 miles before he pulled me over I was held on the side of the road for 2 hours my car was forced to be left there. I was read NO meranda. Then when I was put in the back of the squad car I was asked why I wasn't in the military..why I had tattoos why I had scars I felt belittled and ridiculed...I had moved here from Atlanta to help my family in the military move...and I had never believed that people still acted in such a manner. I thought for sure after the 2 years I would still be charged even though there were 3 contradictory stories....it made me feel like I was robbed of my dignity and no matter what I said it was a police officer's word against mine.I still feel uncomfortable with the thought of being so helpless. I understand that all police officers are not like this but I just I really don't know what to say. I am thinking about seeking outside council but have no idea where to start or what to do. I am glad he is off the street but I tried to tell everyone 2 years ago and no one listened.if they had maybe this tragedy could have been avoided.
      by batman on Jul 13, 2011 at 02:30 AM in reply to Ronald S. Lundy
      so if there were three conflicting stories by separate officers, why are you singling out officer tabor when there were other officers who made a statement? just because you could jab in while you could? go back to atl if it's so hard for you to get along up here.
        by Anonymous on Jul 14, 2011 at 03:10 PM in reply to batman
        Not singling out Officer Tabor. The contradictory stories where the police report which partially matched the other officer's statement and Officer Tabor's statement in no way matched either the police report or the other officer's statement. I don't jab...not my style. It's factual. I hadn't left because I was out on bail than I met someone which is not really any of your business but just to clarify for you. But since your comment seemed so aggressive I am assuming you either know him or have entirely to much free time to peruse through articles and their comments...which is less likely than the latter. I apologize for seeming like I was attacking a man who got caught lying...I just expect our law enforcement officers to exhibit a higher degree of discipline and also expect them to be held accountable for their actions. P.s his bail was lower than mine and mine was nowhere near as serious of an offense...already lacking in the accountability department.
        by Anonymous on Jul 14, 2011 at 03:56 PM in reply to batman
        P.s I didn't seek refuge in anonymity...I used my real name. I have NOTHING to hide,lie or embellish about...because i'm not a liar.
          by Ronald S. Lundy on Jul 14, 2011 at 05:41 PM in reply to
          One last thing...what type of impression do you think a member of an outside community gets when they read a comment that implies that if they are falsely accused by one of your local law enforcement officers...that they should go back to where they came from . That speaks volumes and is very sad. I am running for a local city council position as I have spent my life moving due to the military I like to consider this home a place to establish roots and a family and it's attitudes like that that give people the wrong impression of smaller cities...I know that the city I reside in is warm and welcoming full of people who are also warm and welcoming and those views are a great misconception of the reality....and personally it upsets me to think someone may read this and think that they aren't welcome based solely on the way you voiced your opinion. One last thing if the documentation of the police report I was issued did not match the sworn statement of the officer 2 years ago and to this day he has been caught being deceptive...how many other people do you think his actions have effected over the years with misleading police reports? That's where accountability comes into play...sorry that you feel I should go back to Atlanta...but I love this state and it's residents and your negative opinion (which you are entitled to) is not a view shared by anyone else I have met thus far. Wish me luck in my pursuit for city council. Sincerely yours Ronald S Lundy
  • by bworley on Jul 3, 2011 at 07:24 PM
    you say you can,t be put out of a truck if you got a seat belt on well i was workin at harvey bro truck stop in bridgeton and my boss first cuz got hit on the old bridge by a dwi driver at a high speed he was in a toyota 4x4 and had his seat belt on and got put out the back glass and in to the river look it up it was about in the time frame of 1988 or 89 and tell me it can.t be you hit hard and it can and will put you out
  • by John Location: New Bern on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    It may be time to replace the Craven County sheriff. This is not the first fatal accident his department has been involved in. His deputies seen to lack common sense and need responsible leader shift to protect the citizens. Should the state attorney become involved ?
  • by Anonymous on Jun 25, 2011 at 08:01 PM
    hey witn, why don't ya'll want to post a FACT? the fact is she is ONLY dead due to her not wearing a seatbelt. if she had been wearing a seatbelt she would still be here. IT'S A FACT.
      by Dais on Jun 26, 2011 at 03:22 PM in reply to
      you know that deputy could have taken her seat belt off, just so he could cover his rear end. they are known to do that. LIED, CORRUPTED. That's how its done here in NC. one gets busted and the whole force , cover it up, down to the last detail.
      by Mike on Jun 28, 2011 at 06:43 AM in reply to
      She would still be alive if she had not been hit by a car running 100 MPH. And it is not a fact about the seat belt. People die every day in a seat belt.
      by Lee on Jun 28, 2011 at 06:40 PM in reply to
      Seat belts can save lives, most of the time. I had a friend, not buckled up, who rolled his car and was ejected and walked away. The police said he probaly would have died or been seriously injured if he was wearing his seat belt, his car was crushed. Yeah, I know, probaly just an anomaly, but, fortunate. Buckle up, it's the law!
        by Anonymous on Jul 2, 2011 at 10:00 AM in reply to Lee
        she can't be ejected while wearing a seatbelt. that's all that was being said. if she had been wearing a seatbelt she would be here, and not ejected from her vehicle.
      by jack on Aug 23, 2011 at 01:09 PM in reply to
      ok i know im late and all but seat belts do kill and she was wearing hers seat belt i could put my life on it...........
        by Anonymous on Sep 8, 2011 at 05:22 PM in reply to jack
        do bet your life.
  • by rusty Location: gville on Jun 24, 2011 at 04:36 AM
    i thought cops could lie, they do when they want to get you in more trouble
  • by SHP Location: Statewide on Jun 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    80% percent of the complaints that LEO get are from within their own organizations. The BLUE WALL of silence is a thing of the past. Many of us in that wear the uniform honorably and do the right thing each day ....dont tolerate misue of power and report them. This guy is no longer employed. The fact that he was only charged with a careless and reckless driving/ and mis death by vehicle was up to the DA not the HP. The HP presented the evidence and he (Thomas) made the decision. As far as background checks on people whent they apply for LEO jobs...if they have a clean background with no red flags, its hard to deny employment for a decision that they might make years later. If we (LEO) could predict the future of what someone will do in their career ....there would be no crime, collisions, or deaths.
      by LEO Girlfriend on Jun 23, 2011 at 04:50 PM in reply to SHP
      I'm glad that you posted this. The citizens don't realize what someone in LEO has to go through to get in the BLET Program much less to bet a job in this field. My boyfriend is in LEO and I saw first hand all the RED TAPE that he has had to go through. Background checks, Driving Records from every state that they have lived in, Criminal Reports, Credit Reports and that's not even all of it. People don't realize that LEO are classified as Professional Drivers and they think that they are going easy on him because he's in LEO but they have no clue what Training and Standards will do. Training and Standards don't play favorates to no one.
        by Mike on Jun 23, 2011 at 08:12 PM in reply to LEO Girlfriend
        I completely understand what you are saying, but doesn't all of the training, education etc. make this deputies "mistake" that much worse. I mean he KNEW the rules and I'm sure has seen the consequences of such irresponsible behavior on a regular basis. Having been exposed to what he has, you would think he would drive extra careful. I don't think it is a far stretch to say that he not only felt above the law but for some reason thought that this extensive training afforded him the right to drive in a manor that "average drivers" are not capable of doing safely. If you read through the comments and see the reports of this type of driving occurring regularly, is it out of line to suspect that the one time it resulted in a fatality that is OBVIOUSLY the fault of the LEO is very likely not the only time this type of irresponsible behavior has occurred within the department? I won't even go into how strange it seems that at 4:30 in the morning, on a nearly empty 4 lane highway, this officer did not even change lanes to go around the van (distracted while driving 100 mph?). Is it reasonable for us to leave the policing of the officers to themselves? Maybe when an officer is let go because his coworkers have reported him for inappropriate behavior we don't hear about it? If that is the case then maybe that policy should change so that we, the public, can regain our respect for the officers that I know protect us on a daily basis. I would like to end this by saying thank you to all of the officers that do their job in a responsible way, we appreciate you and do not hold the good ones accountable for the actions of a few.
        by LEO on Jun 24, 2011 at 02:59 PM in reply to LEO Girlfriend
        Unfortunately getting into BLET is way too easy. These colleges let anyone in if they have a clean criminal record. No interview or psych test is given. No job history is required, etc. All the community colleges are worried about is getting more students because that means more money. Then some podunk three man department hires them because they need officers and now they're charged with keeping the community safe. Also, as an Instructor myself I know leo's are NOT considered professional drivers. We go through driver's training, but you can't teach someone common sense.
          by another leo on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM in reply to LEO
          You are right about it being to easy to get into BLET. I have seen people with criminal records get in. Several have had assaults, affrays, trespassing and other misd. They have no business getting a badge.
          by Anonymous on Jun 25, 2011 at 06:16 PM in reply to LEO
          heck yeah it's easy to get into BLET, anyone can take the class. it's hard maintining the grades to stay in the program. and it's really hard to get a job with a misdemeanor since it's almost impossible to get a job since there are laws.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 23, 2011 at 09:53 AM
    Justice, did you bother to read the story? The deputy was FIRED on Friday.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124359254 - witn.com/a?a=124359254