Crime Report: Overall Crime Down In Greenville

By: April Davis
By: April Davis

The perception by some that crime is going up in Greenville is not accurate, according to a new crime report.

A year-long task force report recommended by the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce, presented its findings to the Greenville council Monday night. The consensus is that overall crime is down by 10 percent, and the violent crime rate, which consists of murders, rapes, robberies and aggravated assaults has been decreasing since 2006. The report shows Greenville's violent crime rate is lower than Charlotte and Rocky Mount but similar to Durham, and Greensboro,

"The perception that crime is going up is not accurate. Crime is decreasing but crime can happen anywhere at anytime and people should be very aware of their surroundings and they should work closely with the police," said Co-chair of the task force Bill Koch.

This report was complete in late June. Since then, Greenville has seen a spike in crime with more than a dozen shootings in the past month. .

• by Damned Yankee Location: Greenville on Aug 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    Moving to Chapel Hill at the end of this month. You can have this town.
  • by D Location: Winterville on Aug 9, 2011 at 06:45 PM
    The Winterville police department, also known as the Winterville fitness club, needs to be policed by the Greenville PD. We are terrorized by gangs, but have not even the most basic of patrolling. I fear for the lives of myself and my children in this "Town".
  • by K Location: Winterville on Aug 9, 2011 at 06:41 PM
    I live in Winterville. I was robbed last December. I live on East Street in Winterville which is 5 blocks from the Winterville police station. I have NEVER seen a police cruiser go down East Street and I was robbed in broad daylight. I am white, make 85 K per year, and live in a duplex here because of child support. I have learned to hate this neighborhood and its "protection".
  • by insane on Aug 9, 2011 at 06:13 PM
    This is absurd data. Being an employee of the Judicial sytem, I can tell you this is bull. Crime is not down in Greenville. Every crime is on the rise. Where do they get these numbers?
  • by David Location: Greenville on Aug 9, 2011 at 03:51 PM
    A report commissioned by the chamber of commerce??? Are you kidding me?? It sounds like they paid someone to interpret the statistics in a manor that suits business growth and the current political leadership.
  • by J on Aug 9, 2011 at 02:16 PM
    Did anyone else see they compared Greenville's crime to Durhams? That in itself is funny. Durham is one of the largest concentration of gangs in the state.
  • by ckstunner on Aug 9, 2011 at 01:34 PM
    HAHAHA, stabbings, shootings, people getting pulled over on B's Barbque road to be robbed, people shooting people downtown and somehow greenville's crime isn't that bad... hmm. The population growth in this town comes from the hospital and the university, and of course, all the people looking for government benifites (welfare). And all the friends that I had attending the university or working at the hospital, leave this place because it's a dump.
  • by fyi Location: greenville on Aug 9, 2011 at 01:15 PM
    Gpd has to report their stats to the FBI every year which tells a different story. You can fake the numbers but not the bullet holes in people.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    asked the people robbed and beat up and the family of the killed if perception is real to them. liars can make numbers say anything they want. I do not blame chief anderson or his people, policy is set by the mayor and city council how to handle crime. we live under the kandi smith doctrine in greenville.
  • by Dave Location: (0O-O0) on Aug 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Talk to Jesus Christ as if He knows the reasons why. He did it all for you.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127286613 - witn.com/a?a=127286613