Claw Machine Causes Fitness Center Fire

One of those claw machines filled with stuffed animals caught fire, causing some $11,000 damage to a fitness center in Williamston.

Fire crews were called to the Nu Life Fitness Center on East Boulevard in Williamston around 4:15 a.m. Lt. Chris Howell says when they first arrived they saw water pouring out the front door, while inside there was heavy smoke. Howell says the claw machine fire activated the sprinkler system, so the fire could have been much worse if that had not happened.

The fire department says the owners told them they had the machine worked on last week due to a malfunction. Nothing else caught fire, but the water damage to the business was extensive.

The NuLife Fitness and NuLife 4 Kids centers will both be closed Monday.

• by Emily Location: Williamston on Nov 14, 2011 at 06:13 PM
    I couldn't agree more, Brad. Yes, I can walk around my neighborhood and do all the weights and exercise videos...However, I am more motivated to come into NuLife.
  • by CMPTRGEEK4U Location: Williamston on Nov 14, 2011 at 05:57 PM
    Get Em Girl! I have suspected that claw machine from the beginning........For too long it has eluded me and laughed at me with it's clever flashing lights and buttons. Glad you guys are alright and the business still stands. Perhaps next visit I will have a new claw machine to dominate?
  • by Owner Location: NuLife on Nov 14, 2011 at 04:31 PM
    JD, As the owner of NuLife Fitness Center I take your remark as a challenge. I will collect no insurance money because the machine did not belong to me and I knew all of that from the beginning. I along with my employees have worked too long and too hard to let this close my business. To those members and friends who called or stopped by to offer your help I thank you. To the Williamston Fire and Rescue, you guys are awesome and I truly thank you for a job well done.
  • by Bob on Nov 14, 2011 at 06:49 AM
    2nd Fitness center to burn in a week. Fitness business must be pretty bad right now.
      by Anonymous on Nov 14, 2011 at 01:28 PM in reply to Bob
      Who wants to pay someone money they don't have right now when walking out the front door for a jog is free?
      by Anonymous on Nov 14, 2011 at 04:12 PM in reply to Bob
      The business at Nulife seems pretty good actually. Great environment. Great staff. And a lot more fun than walking out the front door and jogging.
      by Brad on Nov 14, 2011 at 06:02 PM in reply to Bob
      Actually Bob and Anonymous, health and fitness is one of the few businesses that are still thriving despite the economy and marketplace. NuLife is doing well. Most people need more than just an occasional walk to get healthy and in shape. It usually takes more than that, my friend. Stop by NuLife sometime. Would love to meet you....Brad
  • by Hank on Nov 14, 2011 at 05:55 AM
    Good. They have been in the county for awhile now, and are well liked. I always suspected some people didn't want them in the county, but think they will continue to do well in martin. I would hate to see anyone lose a business in this mannor. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK CINDY!
  • by JD Location: Martin Co. on Nov 14, 2011 at 05:53 AM
    I give it a month after they collect the insurance money they lock the doors!
      by Anonymous on Nov 14, 2011 at 04:13 PM in reply to JD
      You OBVIOUSLY don't know the owner too well. She isn't that type and doesn't give up easily.
      by Tammy on Nov 14, 2011 at 05:33 PM in reply to JD
      JD, do you even know the owners? Never mind...you must be one of those people who like to just keep the rumor mill stirring!! Get a life!!
  • by Jeffrey Davis Location: Williamston on Nov 14, 2011 at 05:08 AM
    I just rode by the place and I saw no physical damage...
      by Anonymous on Nov 14, 2011 at 04:15 PM in reply to Jeffrey Davis
      There wasn't any physical damage outside, but the damage from the sprinklers was terrible.
  • by Earl on Nov 14, 2011 at 02:43 AM
    God I sure hope the arcade and Roses is ok!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133793028 - witn.com/a?a=133793028