Crews Begin Greenville Road Construction

Crews will begin a road widening project in Greenville Monday morning, which could cause delays throughout the week.

Traffic will be affected along Firetower Rd. between Bostic Sugg and Portertown Rd. Officials hope to have the project finished within a week.

• by Jimmy Thad Location: United States on Aug 22, 2011 at 06:02 PM
    Last May I said to myself, this road needs repaving but I bet the DOT will wait until school begins again this fall -- well.... walla!
  • by Once on Aug 22, 2011 at 04:25 PM
    My family moved from Greenville about 2 yrs to the Triad area. It amazes me how I can from the East side of Wendover Ave to west side of Wendover (about 15 miles)in less time than it took me to go down Arlington Blvd to Red Banks from the PCMH. Greenville has horrible roads.There are some many more people living in Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem and doesn't take nearly as long to get places. And I'm not referring to the interstates, I'm referring to the roads in the cities.
  • by rapper Location: greenville on Aug 22, 2011 at 03:29 PM
    Well, at least hurricane Irene might have barrelled thru by then.
  • by Anonymous Location: greenville on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    seriously WITN? That's the most info you could get. Don't strain yourselves NOT doing any actual reporting.
  • by Anonymous Location: greenville on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    I welcome any positive change to that section of road, emphasis on positive, which does not include more patch work nonesense. But Three feet of good shoulder would be fantastic. I could actually ride my bike down that section! Assuming none of you hit me because you think that bikes aren't allowed on paved roads!
  • by pete Location: grifton on Aug 22, 2011 at 09:37 AM
    Think positive pirate fan perdue will veto it number 16 you know.
      by Common Sense on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM in reply to pete
      No, this isn't a ridiculous perk for a special interest, or a payback against some organization Republicans don't like. Those are the kinds of things Perdue vetoes, not projects that benefit the citizens of North Carolina.
  • by Drumman Location: Greenville on Aug 22, 2011 at 09:11 AM
    If Walmart is REALLY coming to Hwy 33 and Portertown, DOT needs to 5 lane Portertown to firetower, put in a stoplight and 5 lane firetower to Bellsfork NOW, not when it gets here
  • by Storeman Location: Greenville on Aug 22, 2011 at 07:40 AM
    Just adding three foot to width of road and repaving. Not a lot of help with the traffic issues on Firetower.
      by Firetower Rd on Aug 22, 2011 at 09:03 AM in reply to Storeman
      That is ridiculous. Why put us thru the headache if they aren't at least giving us a turn lane or something worth our while!!!
  • by Pirateman on Aug 22, 2011 at 06:49 AM
    That's brilliant! Wait until the week after the students come back to ECU to begin. Who's the Einstein that thought of that idea? They just couldn't have started 2 weeks ago, could they?
      by Gary on Aug 22, 2011 at 08:35 AM in reply to Pirateman
      Brilliant observation, You must not be a government employee.
      by Chuck on Aug 22, 2011 at 01:11 PM in reply to Pirateman
      Right On Brother.I Was out that way today & Wow what a traffic build up.Cars lined up as far as you could see. Horrable time to do it.Cars backed up as far as i could see.Would have though they would do it before schools re-opened. But Gov does not think like we do. Road sure needed fixin' though.
  • by David McGowan Location: Greenville, NC on Aug 22, 2011 at 06:47 AM
    Coming soon... a roundabout at the intersection of Firetower Road and Portertown Road.
      by Round and round on Aug 22, 2011 at 09:13 AM in reply to David McGowan
      The one they put in over in Kinston on your drive to Wilmington isn't so bad. Hope all the driving with no license / dwlr people can figure it out.
      by Dr. Unk's on Aug 22, 2011 at 09:40 AM in reply to David McGowan
      I thought roundabouts were too confusing for people down here.
        by Anonymous on Aug 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM in reply to Dr. Unk's
        I don't know about that, but I do know that the girl who ran through the yield, without the right of way, at the roundabout in front of Best Buy yesterday had Ohio plates. Just sayin'. But who's stereotyping, right?
      by Chuck on Aug 22, 2011 at 01:14 PM in reply to David McGowan
      That ain't gonna work.I Can tell you that right now. WHY? Simple answer,Too many cars /trucks at rush hour to deal with. Stupid Plan i think.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128169503 - witn.com/a?a=128169503