Highway Patrol: Cell Phone Involved In High School Senior's Death

State troopers say a cell phone was involved in the crash that killed a high school student.

She died after her car and a log truck collided Wednesday afternoon in Beaufort County.

Troopers identified the victim as Sarah Edwards of Chocowinity, who was a senior at Southside High School.

Troopers say the accident happened Wednesday on Chandler Road, about a half mile off Highway 17 in Beaufort County.

According to the Highway Patrol, Edwards read a text less than a minute before the first 911 call was made about the accident.

Sergeant Kevin Respess tells WITN the information from the victim's phone was retrieved and shows she was reading and sending texts to two people during her drive from school to work.

Troopers say Edwards was driving a Honda Accord when she collided with a log truck. Troopers say Edwards drove left of center and hit the rear tires of a log truck's trailer. The two vehicles were headed in opposite directions.

Troopers say Edwards was wearing her seat belt. Troopers say witnesses told them Edwards appeared to be looking down when the crash happened.

The Highway Patrol says the driver of the log truck was not hurt and will not face any charges.

School officials say counselors were at Southside High School Thursday.

• by lee Location: chocowinity, nc on Feb 2, 2011 at 04:19 AM
    Sarah will be truly missed by a lot of people my thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, classmates, and anyone that knew her R.I.P Sarah you will be truly missed but never foregoten
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 11, 2011 at 04:19 PM
    Such kind, forgiving words from Sarah's family...let it serve as a reminder to us all, in the unfolding of our lives, to be forgiving to our fellow men/women, as sometimes unfortunate things happen we do not intend to happen. Forgiveness can be as a Candle that burns in the memory of Sarah...the Forgiveness Candle...I will help to light it...God keep her in his arms...and soften the tears of her family. I have felt the sadness of losing loved ones, so can pass on my way of dealing with it; many tears. Sarah, rest in God's tender mercy.
  • by Nick B. Location: BC on Jan 11, 2011 at 09:01 AM
    OMG! she was such a sweet girl, but prayers are sent to the family. May God bless you all(family) and she will be missed.
  • by Sarah's mom Location: choocowinity on Jan 9, 2011 at 05:47 PM
    I'm the mother of Sarah, she was my precious angel. I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I would like to thank the EMTS HIGHYWAY PATROL,FIREFIGHTERSAND and anyone else that was their on the scene. To the gentleman that was driving the truck,I don't blame you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you are devastated.
  • by Heather(sister) Location: Chocowinity on Jan 9, 2011 at 04:05 PM
    We as a family want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers, and comforting comments. We also want people to know that no matter what you are doing or where you are going do not text and drive, however, we do not want sarah remembered as the poster child of what could happen when you text and drive. Remember her as she was, not as what happened. We love her, and we send our condolences out to the truck driver and his family. I speak for my mother, sister, stepfather, and father when I say we do not blame you. Once again we thank everyone for their support and condolences. We can't describe with words the way we feel now, all we know is we love our Sarah-Boo and we miss her, can't wait to see you in heaven Sissy!
  • by Father Location: Washington on Jan 9, 2011 at 04:52 AM
    Here is the address for the memorial fund of Sarah Gray Edwards. Paul's Funeral Home 900 John Small Avenue Washington, NC 27889-3757 (252) 946-4144
  • by Southside Parent Location: ENC on Jan 8, 2011 at 03:51 PM
    My thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends, and classmates. Does anyone know if there is a memorial fund set up? I would like to send something to the family, but don't know an address.
  • by MARGIE Location: BATH on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    MY GOD ALMIGHTY,TAKE THIS FAMILY, AND THE CLASSMATES AT SOUTHSIDE HIGH SCHOOL AND BLESS THEM DURING THESE TIME. MY THOUGHTS ANG PRAYERS ARE WITH THE FAMILY AND CLASSMATES AT THIS TIME, GOD WILL BLESS EACH AND EVERYONE!
  • by Sad Location: Craven on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    My prayers go out to this young woman's family and to the driver of the truck. An earlier poster stated, trucks have come over in my lane in that same curve. Clearly this was not the case in this instance. I know him and know he is devastated to have been involved. All please remember him in prayer in addition to her family.
  • by David and Cathy Location: Clayton,N.C. on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:48 PM
    Tim and Family, we are so sorry for your loss. our thoughts and prayers are with you, and your family. Sarah was a beautiful young lady, may God's love comfort you in your time of sorrow.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112974604 - witn.com/a?a=112974604