Corolla Wild Horse Fund Hires 3 To Patrol Beaches

The Corolla Wild Horse fund has hired three people to patrol beaches and protect the animals from visitors.

The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk, Va., reported that the fund has hired three people, including two off-duty law enforcement officers.

The move comes after a foal was found dying of malnutrition. A resident reported she had seen someone feeding watermelon rinds to the foal, a violation of a Currituck County ordinance. Food that domestic horses can eat can sicken and kill wild horses.

Wild Horse Fund Director Karen McCalpin says as more people visit the four-wheel-drive area north of Corolla, the harassment of the horses increases. In the past two years, three horses have been euthanized after being hit by vehicles.

• by Anonymous on Aug 23, 2011 at 07:49 AM
    We just visited Corolla this summer and did not get a chance to see the horses. However, I left my heart at the Outer Banks and would like to return someday...The horses are a treasure, as part of the natural beauty of North Carolina. Do what you can to protect these animals from ignorance and harm!
  • by kathryn Location: gatesville on Aug 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    We need to protect them. I am glad to hear of this. They did not ask to be "on show". They are only trying to live.
  • by Anonymous on Aug 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM
      by uh on Aug 1, 2011 at 01:19 PM in reply to
      Technically, humans introduced horses to the western world.
      by OBXFAN on Aug 1, 2011 at 02:03 PM in reply to
      I agree that the horses should be protected. It is amazing to me to ride down the beach and see these horses on the beach. However they were not exactly there before humans.
  • by taxman Location: wilson on Aug 1, 2011 at 08:35 AM
    tsk,tsk,tsk. that is what the future looks like here in NC..lots of visitors for the local folk to cater and kowtow to so they can spend a few of their dollars locally to support the NC politicos. maybe a 20-50 dollar fee for a days beach driving is required so only thet NC high rollers can afford to drive their Escalades and Range Rovers out there on federal land and keep the working people off. what do you say ? write your repeeeewbican tea bagger legislator and they will fix it for you.
  • by Vince Location: Washington on Aug 1, 2011 at 07:42 AM
    These non-native, ecologically-destructive, nuisance animals need to go......
      by jerry on Aug 1, 2011 at 09:40 AM in reply to Vince
      I agree, and protect the horses...
      by ryan on Aug 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM in reply to Vince
      these horses were in corolla before any humans were. so we are the non-native, ecologically-destructive, nuisance animals.
  • by Animal Lover Location: ENC on Aug 1, 2011 at 07:39 AM
    I think this is a great idea. These horses deserve to be protected. It makes me sad everytime I hear that one of these beautiful animals has died due to stupid human beings. A great use of the Corolla Wild Horse Fund!
  • by Cathy Location: Chocowinity on Aug 1, 2011 at 07:35 AM
    It's a shame but a lot of people are either ignorant or just plain mean these days. Glad to hear there will be patrols to protect these beautiful horses. Perhaps there needs to be a stricter police presence also for those "tourists" who can't obey the rules!
  • by Janice Location: Ahoskie NC on Aug 1, 2011 at 06:56 AM
    STAY NORTH, I completely agree with you!! My family and I drove down to the OBX this past weekend and the traffic was horrendous! The majority of the vehicles were out of state! A lot of them were rude & disrespectful and makes me wish they would stay in their own state if they're not going to act like they have good sense when they come to North Carolina!!!!
  • by Stay North Location: HWY 12 on Aug 1, 2011 at 05:56 AM
    Went north to Corolla last year for the first time in a couple years. I was amazed by the amount of out of state tags cruising at high speeds down the beach. It was like a baja race. There were our share of NC rednecks as well, but far more NJ through VA. I wouldn't eveb let the kids out. After an hour of driving around we headed back south. If you want to be a beach menace, please go tear up your own state's beaches. Watch out Ocracoke, they will be invading there next.
      by jerry on Aug 1, 2011 at 08:43 AM in reply to Stay North
      Just remember, protect the sand flies, without`em we`d be up to our uh, armpits in yankees.
        by martin on Aug 1, 2011 at 03:32 PM in reply to jerry
        I went to Corolla one time and that was enough for me. I was alot people that thought they were better than anybody else. You are in Corolla for goodness sakes not the Hamptons.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 126507393 - witn.com/a?a=126507393