Copper Thieves Repeatedly Hit Craven County Residence

One man in the east is sounding the alarm over repeated copper thefts.

John Hardee of Craven County says thousands of dollars worth of copper and equipment were stolen from his property recently.

Since 2006, nine to ten people have been arrested for stealing from Hardee's property. He says that it's not just him. There have been other copper and equipment thefts within a three mile radius of his home, including old Cherry Point Road, Thurman Road, and Old Airport Road. Hardee has been getting the word out to all of his neighbors.

These robberies have been occurring in broad daylight. If you have information about these incidents you are asked to call Craven County Crimestoppers.

• by MIKE Location: GREENVILLE on Aug 15, 2011 at 08:36 AM
    Sounds like he needs a good pitt bull
  • by boxer on Aug 15, 2011 at 08:16 AM
    If they would clamp down on the scrap yards that are buying it. They know darn well it is stolen property. If none of the scrap yards would buy it, then no one would steal it. And therefore would be no problem.
      by John on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM in reply to boxer
      You are so right, and I'm glad to see other people seeing and stating the facts. These guys ran 5-10 truckloads from my property alone in a very short amount of time, with a lot of the same things, (like 20 or so alternators, 30, hydraulic pumps, etc), all stuff a reasonable person would question why so many of each and why are you scrapping for pennies on the pound when you could sell the tiniest for at least $75. Also...who would scrap tools that cost $400 for a specialty wrench...only someone that stole the item! The police need to put pressure on the scrapyards that if they don't document every item, (like pawn shops do) other than just cut up scrap that they will shut them down. That will be a big first stop. The scrap yards are just as guilty as the people that broke into my property and took everything off of my property.
      by scrappie on Aug 16, 2011 at 05:32 AM in reply to boxer
      I work at a scrapyard and I am a certified weighmaster, I buy scrap every day, I have been called by lawinforcment many times, My records are all in line. Name, license # and photo (copied in color), Items and where and who they got them from. I've been doing this long but I can tell I almost got had a couple of times and I DID NOT buy it. There are some honest scrpyard dealers, so don't label us all. Thank you.
        by John on Aug 16, 2011 at 09:51 PM in reply to scrappie
        Scrappie, In the local area you are amoungst the rare and almost gone the way of the dinasour. Even the cops tell me the one scrap yard that might come close to recognizing it's stolen. The cops all told me that the remainder scrap yards within an hours drive ask no questions and take anything, no questions asked. I think you would agree that it would be suspicious if someone comes in with 50-60 each of PTO pumps, shafts, hitches, etc that sell for several hundred a piece and they are selling it for scrap? Same thing, thousands of craftsmen tools, other specialty tools....selling for scrap....just doesn't make good sense and would SCREAM stolen for me. So when all the news coverage on this theft, knowing the exact date it all left my property, a good scrap person would be running things through their head and see if the stuff described came in, and if so.....call the cops and try to catch the individuals. If they just don't care, even enough to think, or even have thought and know they took stuff described in, I would hope you would agree they are as guilty as the persons that took it from my property.
  • by kelly Location: kinston on Aug 15, 2011 at 05:52 AM
    If they would do more to them than just slap them on the wrist they would quit all of this stealing...the owner should be able to pop a CAP in their you know what..i bet that would stop them...
      by John on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM in reply to kelly
      kelly, you are exactly right. Out of the numerous people that have been caught on my property prior to this huge heist they have never charged them with all the charges they could have, and by not doing so they just get slaps on the wrist. Then they are back at it again.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127694008 - witn.com/a?a=127694008