Contractor Fined For Worker's Death At Beaufort Co. Bridge Site

A paving contractor has been cited and fined after a worker was killed last fall when a dump truck over him.

The North Carolina Department of Labor has fined Rose Brothers Paving of Ahoskie $3,500. Charles Barnes of Murfreesboro was killed while working on the Highway 99 bridge project over Pungo Creek in Beaufort County.

At the time the Highway Patrol said the 57-year-old man did not hear the backup alarm of the dump truck because there was a lot of noise. In its citation, the Labor Department says Rose did not equip the truck with an alarm that was loud enough.

The contractor had until today to either pay the fine, request an informal conference with the Labor Department, or contest the fine. So far there's no word yet on what the company decided to do.

• by response on Mar 8, 2011 at 07:48 PM
    Some people always want to point a finger when they don't have facts to judge.Fate is something that can't be prevented no matter what.People don't realize that a situation like this always ends up with a fine so that it looks like the authorities did their job and earned their keep.The saddest part of it all is that some people choose to look for someone to blame rather than focus on the man who lost his life and what his family,friends,and co-workers are going threw.There is only one judge and there is only one man who knows exactly what happened that day.I know where that mans family,friends, and co-workers will keep their focus.The question is, Where will you keep yours? RIP Charles
  • by BOB Location: WASHINGTON on Mar 3, 2011 at 06:38 AM
    I FELL FOR THE FAMILY EVEN THOUGH IT WAS AN ACCIDENT 3500 IS A LOW PRICE FOR EANY ONES LIFE. I ALSO FEEL FOR THE TRUCK DRIVER SOMETHING LIKE THIS IS A LOT FOR THE MAN TO HAVE TO CARRY THE REST OF HIS LIFE
  • by Crystal Barnes Location: Richmond, VA on Mar 2, 2011 at 07:05 PM
    To Ugh: The man killed was MY father so do both of us a favor and drop all of that hositility in your replies to others' comments. You're the one with no clue because until you lose someone in a senseless accident like this, you can't comment or imagine it. Like my brother said, we are reminded daily when we see dump trucks that our dad left this earth in such a manner. No one commenting on this post has the right to exhibit hostility towards comments but my brother and I..WE are the ones suffering...REMEMBER THAT.
  • by MissMyPops Location: Eliz City on Mar 2, 2011 at 06:00 PM
    Even though Rose Brothers was fined, it still will not bring my father back. I think about him and the way his life ended everytime I see a dump truck. This was an accident, but all accidents can be prevented in some way shape or form. RIP Dad
  • by Darren Location: Kill Devil Hills on Mar 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Sorry for the loss of the man. May God be with the family. If I am Rose Brothers, I'd contest the fine.
  • by WOW Location: Greenville on Mar 1, 2011 at 01:41 PM
    It's sad how a company's negligence can cost someone their life. I pray for the victim's family.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117190623 - witn.com/a?a=117190623