Consumers, Restaurants Deal With Higher Food Costs

In addition to higher gas prices, you have probably noticed grocery prices have been on the increase.

According to the World Bank, an organization that provides financial and technical assistance to countries around the world, food prices have gone up 29-percent in the last year. The price increase is due in part to floods, drought and crop failures, along with the increase in demand for food in developing countries like China and India.

Locally, shoppers say they've changed what they buy, and are paying more attention to sales. Some say the price increase has meant less money for other things. Janice Suggs of Greenville says, "I can't pay other bills if I have to buy groceries. I have to pay only bills if I have to buy groceries. And you know, we all have to eat."

Many restaurants say they're also feeling the effects of higher food prices. Some say it could result in passing down the costs to customers.

• by David Starr on Feb 23, 2011 at 07:05 PM
    The blame is the blame and that brings us no further towards the solution. I believe in personal solutions, I have found my own solution to the this high price grocery issue. There is an outfit called EatFree, I joined them (it cost $10 a year for the membership). Now I am able to get free Walmart gift cards thru my EatFree Membership. This is a home maker's dream. Their 24 HR recording is at 352-234-3523. That's all there is to it.
  • by Ye Olde Burger King on Feb 19, 2011 at 03:57 PM
    I wonder what the fast food places were like in 1820? Restaurants had strict health codes & standards back then. Just imagine what the ride-thru window looked like (horses waiting in line...look at the ground...eeewww!)
  • by pete Location: grifton on Feb 19, 2011 at 01:33 PM
    "Carefull" remember when donald rumsfeld worked for monsanto?
  • by Fact Bringer II on Feb 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    Rush Limbaugh said this was going to happen.What do you think Barlow.
  • by Careful Location: Greenville on Feb 19, 2011 at 09:25 AM
    Just in time for Monsanto to "save the world" with their cheaper frankenfoods. Considering they have our government in their deep pockets, it isn't surprising. They are simply boiling the water to see how us frogs can handle the heat, and when prices get too high the choice will be cheaper Monsanto frankenfoods, and little else. I'm already hearing the rumblings of 'surrendering to Monsanto'. Won't be long now.
  • by Bruce the Shark Location: Greenville on Feb 19, 2011 at 07:52 AM
    To Fact Bringer: The POTUS is the face of this government. He is selling my childrens and grandchildrens souls to the Chinese Reds.He has bowed down as a coward to every country that does not favor the United Sttes. He has alienated our allies, especially Israel (I've been there 5 times thanks to the USMC), He has supported violent change in Egypt and the giving of the government to the Muslim Brotherhood.he wants our country to rid its self of democracy and make our very own citizens more dependant upon the government so that we can loose more of our freedoms. Health care is not a right, government handouts are not a right, supporting unions that drive up the cost of products that we buy has led to the off-shore production of the majority of goods that we buy. Our Secretary of Statis not respected around the wporld because she stood still and allowed her husband to have an affair while in the office.Countries laugh at the U.S. becasue of our current government and their spinless
  • by anonymous Location: greenville on Feb 19, 2011 at 07:29 AM
    It is healthier to eat at home.
  • by 250 Location: Jax on Feb 19, 2011 at 06:54 AM
    How many$ were spent to rebuild Iraq? I realize that most came from that government via a rate of exchange. How many fly by nite "sub contractors popped up to make the so called easy money?" Oh yeah the notices were all over the Onslow ESC looking for employees. Look at BLACKWATER. Why is the Fed subcontracting security? This hints to me that we are powers to be have very little faith in specially trained forces that are currently enlisted in any of our 6 forces. This is stinking sad. BUT because they were getting the fed $ they bought more equipment because they :could" waste waste waste. Put national security and security of our national figures back where it belongs. To the US ARMED FORCES period.
  • by BLAHammed on Feb 19, 2011 at 05:49 AM
    Print that money Duroc Hussein Imam(amabO).What do you think Fact Bringer?
  • by Read Location: Washington on Feb 19, 2011 at 04:30 AM
    For all of you who are telling us to "eat at home", in case you didn't understand the article, it states that grocery store prices have increased as well. In my house, that's where we get our goods to "eat at home"!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116511843 - witn.com/a?a=116511843