Conference USA, Mountain West Likely Merged By January

ECU Chancellor Steve Ballard says the merger between Conference USA and the Mountain West Conference should be completed by January.

Ballard made the prediction during a trustees meeting Monday.

The realigned conference will consist of 18 institutions: 9 from the east and 9 from the west.

Ballard said ECU has not withdrawn its bid for the Big East yet.

• by Boyee Location: Chicago on Dec 18, 2011 at 02:31 PM
    The Merged Mountain West/C-USA will definitely be better than joining the Big East. With Pitt, 'Cuse, and WVU gone soon and the ACC likely taking 2 more soon and Louisville and Cincinnati are ripe for the poaching for the Big 12, there might not be a Big East worth going to in 2014.
  • by Taylor Location: Goldsboro on Nov 30, 2011 at 04:06 AM
    I want us (ECU) to settle in a good conference however I am tired of the control appearing to be lost to $$$$$$, TV, and ESPN. I know that is what is driving college sports but where are our leaders? It will be hard to establish good rivalries in distant areas that have little in common with us. All of this conference realignment mess should be settled by our leaders and we should expect them to do so. Has anyone entertained the idea of "occupy college football" in 2012? Maybe we should. The fans could change things if we would organize.
  • by Mr. GO HERD Location: Huntington, WV on Nov 26, 2011 at 06:28 AM
    I would rather be in a conf with Southern Miss, ECU, & Memphis than join the Big East anyway. Houston? Pointless. This isn't the 1980s. They have won a single championship in CUSA. Their hoops blow. SMU? Completely pointless in all aspects in football & basketball.. Their own player said their home games have a "peewee football like atmosphere". UCF? How's 5th place treating you? Your midget cheating basketball coach won't get them anywhere either.

ECU & the rest of CUSA have more to gain than any school stepping down to the Big East. SMU will remain pointless. Keenum has exhausted his 12th year of eligibility & it took him breaking every NCAA record just for Houston to be relevant again. So take that for what it's worth. UCF? Yea yea yea we know they gave all this potential. Yawn.

CUSA/MTN West combo is far better than joining the Big East which is still going to lose more teams.
  • by Robert Location: Greenville on Nov 24, 2011 at 07:10 PM
    Got a question for you UNC fans, why do most of you UNC fans say to us ECU grads..."couldn't get into UNC", Who said we applied to UNC and who said we wanted to go there and mayby ECU had a major that UNC didn't have. Mayby we liked the atmosphere of ECU. I would like for WITN to conduct an IQ test for all of the UNC fans to compare to the ECU grads. UNC fans..would you agree to such a test? It can happen, as an ECU grad who went to grad school for a while at Harvard I'm all for it. Bring it on!
      by ECU Graduate on Nov 25, 2011 at 05:59 AM in reply to Robert
      From one ECU graduate to another, learn how to spell "maybe".
      by LOL! on Nov 25, 2011 at 08:38 AM in reply to Robert
      Good observation Robert. Take for example lyle "with style". He repeatedly disparages ECU as "EZU". Yet, on at least 2 occassions, he has ducked and failed to qualify his academic credentials... this renders lyle referring to any school as "EZ" as laughable! Given his poor spelling and grammar, he may have writing difficulty even at a high school level. I don't begrudge any man that works hard for a living and supports his family. In fact, I admire this greatly no matter the academic background, or lack thereof. There are many lesser educated people than I who are a whole lot smarter on a huge array of subjects (written as I await my plumber!). But, for lyle to repeatedly insult my school without provocation, surely suggests that although lyle may or may not have style, assuredly he has no class!
  • by lyle with style Location: fremont on Nov 23, 2011 at 05:20 PM
    Sorry lol the sensors will not publish my true response. But please explain,with concrete examples, why ezu should be considered a top tier athletic program. Any examples from the last 50 year will suffice. Any losers that support your postion can help. You probably need help with your stethoscope. Anyway maybe this will get past sensors. BTW I graduated from school of hard knocks so you are definitely better than me.
  • by jimmy Location: tick bite on Nov 23, 2011 at 08:50 AM
    What kind of syle do you think you have lyle? Must be really hard looking for bad things to say about a school you know nothing about
  • by MajorDad Location: ENC on Nov 23, 2011 at 06:59 AM
    Lyle: I would think that you were my old friend "Deadfish", but after reading all your comments I know that is not true. He at least had a good command of the English language, so whatever education you may have it certainly lacks in writing skills. I would rather support any program that is lead by a coach with integrity than have my team coached by a man who would put winning ahead of the mental and physical trauma inflicted by a coach on young kids. But JoePa's little empire is quickly falling apart because he and Penn State put winning ahead of all else. UNC has had their problems and USC will watch the bowl games on television because of their cheating. Winning is good, but when the cost places integrity at the bottom of a university's priorities, all the individuals who had any knowledge of the cheating and special treatment accorded to the athletic programs need to be looking for another job.
  • by lyle with syle Location: fremont on Nov 23, 2011 at 04:47 AM
    Lol. Could not get into unc medical school? Huh? Don't attack me unless u expect it back. U can spend ur money on a good school but pitiful athletic program if u want. That shows nothing. U still can make any concrete argument that ezu athletics deserves big time status except for baseball for now. Don't b so arrogant just because u got a graduate degree. U have no idea the level of anyone else education.
      by LOL! on Nov 23, 2011 at 07:02 AM in reply to lyle with syle
      lyle: You're really not too good at these message board exchanges, are you? As you raise the subject, I did not apply to UNC. I'm a family physician and applied to med. schools with distinguished reputations in this discipline. Was accepted at 3 of 4 (chose ECU and sleep fine at night with the one school that would not admit me). Thanks for asking. You ask ME not to "b arrogant", yet you are here continually denigrating my alma mater? Yes, I received undergrad from ECU too. You may want to grow thicker message board troll skin! You refer to my school as "EZU", yet have dodged my question- which university do YOU hold a degree from? Good luck with this... you'll need it...
        by Anonymous on Nov 23, 2011 at 09:07 AM in reply to LOL!
        It doesn't matter Lyle got his new UNC gear at Wal-Mart so according to him he is bascially a part of that program now!! hahah your a joke Lyle. No one is on this forum saying they are they greatest because the got an ECU degree, BUT when someone's comes on these forums and bash's ECU academics, athletics and everything else, then yes people will get offended and thus ask you where did you go? Which everyone already knows you did not attend UNC. Sorry pal you support a school that doesn't support you...how sad :-(
  • by Robert Location: Myrtle Beach on Nov 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    I like it, national awarness coast to coast, markets like Vegas, San Diego and LA are huge markets. You have a bunch of Dirty South and Wild West teams that could play for a BCS birth, I like it! Go Pirates!
  • by m on Nov 22, 2011 at 01:25 PM
    Isn't it time to pull the plug and get back to education.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134289338 - witn.com/a?a=134289338