Concealed Weapons Laws On Agenda In Washington

The Washington City Council is scheduled to discuss changes to a state law regarding concealed weapons.

The NC General Assembly approved legislation which allows local governments to establish where citizens can and cannot carry concealed weapons on public property. Now, the City of Washington can prohibit concealed weapons at "recreational facilities" instead of "parks" as it previously stated.

Washington Chief of Police Mitchell Reed recommends the city post signs at seven parks and four athletic facilities saying concealed weapons are prohibited. Those facilities are:

Playgrounds:
• Havens Gardens (parking lot, playground & shelter on west side)
• Bug House Park (playground, shelter, parking lot, and tennis courts)
• 7th Street Park (playground, parking lot, and basketball courts)
• Gary Tomasulo Playground, “Papa’s Playground”
• 3rd & Pierce Street Playground (playground)
• 1 5th Street Basketball Courts (basketball courts & parking lot)
• PCM Skate Park

Athletic Facilities:
• Susiegray McConnell Sports Complex (fields, stands, parking lot, sideline area, concessions, all complex area North of Airport Road)
• Moore Aquatic & Fitness Center (facility & parking lot)
• Bobby Andrews Recreation Center (facility & parking lot)
• Little Tar Heel League Fields, w 3rd Street (fields, concessions, bleachers & sideline area)

• by Robert Location: Washington on Sep 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    how ironic...Washington wants to put up signs near rec centers..and..what's that you say?..oh..there was a robbery outside the rec center in Greenville last night?..say it ain't so!!!
  • by 411 on Sep 26, 2011 at 04:52 PM
    Go ahead and put up your signs, and why you are at it put up one that says,"Hey criminals mug and rob everyone on this property they are not armed so have at it." If concealed wepons were allowed at more places you would see the crime rate decrease significantly. Then the robbers would not know if the person they were getting ready to rob was packing something to even the score.
  • by James Tiberius Kirk Location: Star Base 2 on Sep 26, 2011 at 03:32 PM
    Since the subject is on concealed carry, does this mean I could openly carry my weapon, this is my Right under the 2d Ammendment. I usually carry a Season 2 phaser.
      by Truth on Sep 27, 2011 at 04:36 AM in reply to James Tiberius Kirk
      I'm sorry to inform you, the Season II Phaser will be outlawed altogether. Only the Season I Phaser will be allowed at all, and that's if and only if it's maximum power level has been permanently restricted to "STUN"... :)
  • by charlie Location: greenville on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    laws and locks are for honest people. this is a waste of time!
  • by Anonymous on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    I do not see the point outside of a poor attempt at PR. How many people with concealed weapon permits have been charged with violent crimes in these areas or any other area around Washington for that matter? Maybe they just like getting signs made and posted because that is all it will accomplish in reality.
      by reality on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM in reply to
      The flip side to your argument would be how many people have been charged with any violent crime at those locations? I believe the answer is zero and when that is the case, why would you need to be armed in the first place?
        by Anonymous on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:33 PM in reply to reality
        I can see where this wanted change will really solve a horrible problem.
        by Reality2 on Sep 26, 2011 at 02:27 PM in reply to reality
        It's called "random" violence for a reason.
  • by FedUp Location: Washington on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    The "city council" and the "chief" are a bunch of clowns and have no right to be passing this law. Hey lets just post a bunch of signs around the city and the crime rate will drop. They sure don't support the average law abiding citizens of this town. Please resign from your post.
      by Anonymous on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:33 PM in reply to FedUp
      It is all about power to the government and control of the people.
      by Frank Sinatra on Sep 26, 2011 at 03:28 PM in reply to FedUp
      The City Council and Chief of Police do not make laws, the legislature in Raleigh make laws. It is their job to enforce them.
        by FeUP on Sep 27, 2011 at 06:11 AM in reply to Frank Sinatra
        Well I don't think Raleigh passed down this law to the city of Washington. I know who makes the laws and enforces them, and also the small body goverment can add to the law as this is the case.
  • by Truth Location: Reality on Sep 26, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    I suppose the criminals could always claim ignorance of the law: "I didn't know I couldn't take my gun there to commit a crime. I did see a new sign, but I can't read...so... I'm innocent!" lol OR: "Yes, I can read, but I didn't see a sign that said no kidnapping, robbery, or assault, so I thought it would be ok."
  • by Melissa Location: Washington on Sep 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    What a waste of time and money again by the government!!! What criminals actually pay attention to the signs that are posted? What are you guys thinking? That the criminals are actually going to obey this law? No, you're just publicly annoucning another place they can take advantage of us honest citizens!
  • by counntry boy Location: havelock on Sep 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    Washington City Counsil members must be all liberals or are they all just stupid. I sure the criminals who walk around with their "concealed" weapon will obey their law, LOL. Keep the playing field level you idiots, maybe, just maybe, someone who is carring a concealed weapon legally at one of the places just might save a child from being molested, killed, kidnaped, etc. The citizens of Washington should march on thier office and let them know this.
      by reality on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM in reply to counntry boy
      Please stay in Havelock.
  • by Vince Location: Washington on Sep 26, 2011 at 09:37 AM
    Good work Chief Reed! Now let's work on banning the following: child abuse, beating women, rape, speeding, selling/doing drugs, bank robbery, murder, gambling, and incest. Using your mentallity all lawbreakers will stop the above actions if we just pass the right law. Oh, wait, you say we already have laws for these things? Then maybe lawbreakers don't obey the law. Pretty much Law Enforcement 101 for you. Go ahead, pass your law. Keep honest, law-abiding citizens out of our parks and let the thugs know it is a law-free, safe-crime zone for them.......

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130550203 - witn.com/a?a=130550203