Colonel Relieved From Command

The 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit Commander arrested on shoplifting charges has been relieved from command according to officials.

According to the II Marine Expeditionary Force Public Affairs Col. Robert G. Petit was relieved on Saturday due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command.

Petit is accused of stealing two printer cartridges and a bottle of STP gas treatment from Walmart.

• by Michele Location: Ft. Sam Houston on Feb 19, 2011 at 07:42 AM
    I find it hard to believe that an officer would risk his career over 2 printer cartridges and STP. I think there is more to this like maybe a cry for help or an honest overlook while checking out.
  • by Laura Location: Parris Island on Feb 10, 2011 at 01:55 AM
    I wasn't there so I don't want to jump to conclusions. But my brother was falsely accused of shoplifting after a cashier failed to ring up several items he gave her. The video tapes showed just what he said: that he handed them all to her and swiped his card without counting all 40 or so items/total. But he went through hell (and a big legal bill) proving his innocence. My experience with the Corps would make me skeptical in believing that US Marine colonel would deliberately steal, although of course anything is possible. Is is possible he was just absent-minded? I don't mean to insult Walmart; maybe they caught him dead to rights. It just does not seem likely, and in my brother's case, we learned a lot about how false accusations can ruin a person's life.
  • by USMCwife Location: NAS on Feb 9, 2011 at 09:03 PM
    He CAN be tried again by the Marines. Double jeopardy does not apply. If he's found guilty, he'll be booted out of the Corps--as he should be. There's an obvious lack of honor and integrity. @George W...as the wife of a Marine, I'd love to see you call him stupid to his face so he could mop the floor up with you. It's sad that real men join the Marines and fight for your freedoms everyday when you are one of the least deserving. It kind of sounds like you were a wanna be that couldn't make the grade.
  • by Tanker92 Location: Jacksonville, N.C. on Feb 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    I just can't imagine a field grade officer stealing. How many young marines has he sent to the brig for doing alot less? I hope this is not the new Marine Corps leadership training program.
  • by Bubba Location: Currituck on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    Should have just stole a new printer. They are usually cheaper than buying 2 cartridges. I call shenanigans!
  • by Repy to 'Thug' Location: Greenville on Feb 7, 2011 at 06:59 AM
    @ What is a Thug? So I guess you have to steal a car to be classified as theif? Remember he got caught 'this' time. Most have done it repeatedly until comfortable and get careless. A crime is a crime! How do you justify a criminal? You yourself are guilty of trying to justify wrong!
  • by Lisa Location: PA on Feb 7, 2011 at 06:50 AM
    What kind of example has this man left on his enlisted men under him? I think the military needs an overhaul. There is so much being covered up! I feel for his family. There is an image to uphold in the military!
  • by Leslie Location: Pitt County on Feb 7, 2011 at 05:13 AM
    What an idiot!
  • by John Location: Okinawa on Feb 7, 2011 at 12:51 AM
    What a sad day for the family of Col. Petit. The recent arrest of the Col. has given a all new meaning to stupidity. At least the Private, Private First Class and Lance Corporals can now take a breather. A Col. Shoplifting? This can be true. If it is, than our NonCommisioned Officer need to get a bucket of popcorn and enjoy the show. Is this senior leaders stupidity year? l
  • by George W on Feb 6, 2011 at 07:32 PM
    Does the Colonel have a cleptomania issue? I have issues too...definately not grammar related. I am an awesome speller.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115386474 - witn.com/a?a=115386474