Colleges Checking Facebook During Recruiting Process

With so much of our information online you never know who is watching you in cyber space. A new study about social networking could be an eye-opener for many young people applying for college.
The study was done by the college admissions test-prep company Kaplan.
It says 4 out of every 5 college admissions officers say they look up prospective students on Facebook or use other social network sites to check out potential students. Around 82% of college admissions officers said they check Facebook and 56% use twitter and youtube. The director of undergraduate admissions at East Carolina University says the university doesn't follow that route. They say they use Facebook for more of an outreach tool to deal with issues and concerns. He does agree potential employers out there are a different kind of beast.

"I think we've all heard of companies or businesses using the social mediums as a research tool, so my advise to a student or a potential employee in the future is certainly... what you want in the public domain is something that's going to reflect well on your behalf," said
ECU Undergrad Admissions Director Anthony Britt.

Britt says colleagues he spoke to at other admissions offices don't use social media as a tool for determining whether an applicant should be admitted.

Experts say if someone tags you in something you have any doubts about It's probably a good idea to untag yourself.

PREVIOUS STORY (2/28/11)
A new survey shows 82% of college admissions offices use Facebook during the recruiting process.

Kaplan, a test prep company, conducted the survey. The survey included 386 admission officers from the nation's top 500 schools, and 82% said they do use Facebook in the recruiting process.

While positive items on Facebook may help, the flip side is apparent. Inappropriate content could certainly create a negative impression.

College admissions officers are also using YouTube. Of those surveyed, 56% say they use YouTube during the recruiting process.

To learn more about Kaplan's survey, click the related link below.

• by Just Me on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    Usually your "true" nature can be found on facebook. I see nothing wrong with colleges etc checking it out.
  • by Mickey Location: Jacksonville, NC on Mar 6, 2011 at 06:16 AM
    Look people if you honestly think setting your security setting will keep companies and schools from seeing your site you are sadly mistaking. If you put on the WORLD WIDE WEB. It will be found, reguardless what your settings are!
  • by gg on Mar 2, 2011 at 07:58 AM
    set your privacy settings so (a) you're not searchable, and (b) only friends can see your wall. also, if you're in the midst of looking at schools or applying for a job, disable your friends ability to tag you in photos and to post on your wall. other 'tools' commonly used is to (a) misspell your name, (b) use a different name (nickname or middle name) instead of your legal first name, (c) don't list your maiden name, (d) temporarily disable your wall. something that many people aren't aware of...even if your wall/pics are locked-down to 'only friends', those friends can copy anything from your site and do whatever they want with it. how did that 'secure' pic of me end up on some crazy web-site? well, you probably got on someone's bad side and they copied it from your wall. it's not rocket science, it's just a new way of thinking for many of us. also - delete postings frequently. good and bad ones alike.
  • by No Joe on Mar 2, 2011 at 06:08 AM
    You have no reasonable expectation of privacy on a public website. I applaud colleges and employers for doing these kind of checks. It really weeds out a lot of bad apples. You can't really expect to post yourself doing illegal activities, running around naked and acting completely insufferable without some negative consequences. And don't try the freedom of speech argument. You still have freedom of speech but you never had freedom from consequences of your speech.
  • by Duh! Location: Eastern NC on Mar 2, 2011 at 05:57 AM
    Joe, It is not an invasion of privacy when a person's social network page is open for anyone to see.
  • by Jess Location: Choco on Mar 2, 2011 at 04:37 AM
    True, easy fix. Just set your page so it's completely private. I have mine set that way! I also notice it keeps the drama down in my family since they can't keep their noise out of everyone else's business!! Also I don't want a potiental employer (yes they look too!) judge me because I put something up when I was having a bad day! I'm not worried about pictures..but sometimes I have to rant!
  • by Joe Location: Eastern NC on Mar 1, 2011 at 07:55 PM
    Colleges should not be allowed to do this(especially state funded colleges) and is a violation of our privacy rights. Many of the professors who teach at these colleges only care about research and not about teaching. Maybe colleges should start holding professors accountable. Also there should never be a tenured track for professors. Jobs should not be guaranteed.
  • by ECU_Grad on Mar 1, 2011 at 07:42 PM
    Easy fix to that....just change your security settings to where only friends can read posts/quotes/info/etc....then all they can see is your picture and some basic information.
  • by Austin Location: Boone on Feb 28, 2011 at 04:28 PM
    I believe it. I think I lost a full ride scholarship because of some ranting I did on Facebook last year. So from experience be advised at what you post and how you post it, because it can come back and bite you.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117103758 - witn.com/a?a=117103758