Child On Dirt Bike Struck By Van

Troopers say a nine year old boy is in the hospital with serious injuries after he was struck by a van while riding a small dirt bike in Greenville.

According to Sergeant J.J. Collins the accident happened around 4:15 p.m. yesterday afternoon on Fleming School Road.

Collins says the boy was riding on a small farm path along a line of trees when he went into the road. The van driving on the road did not see the boy until it was too late.

The boy was taken to the hospital. Troopers say the child was wearing a helmet. The van driver is not facing any charges.

• by The driver of the van on Apr 25, 2011 at 05:56 PM
    No one knows how this feels unless they have been through this. If I had a chance to change things i would but right now people shouldnt speculate on whose in fault. Accidents happen but its different when a child is hurt they are so innocent.
  • by Paula on Apr 25, 2011 at 04:51 PM
    My son and I would like to wish this child a full and speedy recovery my son goes to Belvior
  • by ConcernedParent Location: Kinston on Apr 25, 2011 at 04:15 PM
    Now is not the time to place blame, I am sure social services or the police will handle that. In most situations everything is not always clearly reported by the news and at times can be skewed. Lets give the benefit of the doubt before placing such harsh judgement.
  • by Law Abiding Citizen Location: Greenville on Apr 25, 2011 at 02:43 PM
    Wishing Maleek a full recovery!!!! TO his family, so sorry to hear of this. Maleek and my daughter are classmates. Please know that we are keeping him in our prayers. To all the other ignorant commentators....if you can't say anything useful...please keep your comments to yourself. This is a child we are talking about here. I do commend the parents for teaching him to wear a helmet.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    He is a 4th grader at Belvoir Elementary
  • by Mike Location: Onslow on Apr 25, 2011 at 06:30 AM
    Wish and pray the kid's quick and FULL healing. Though, maybe if he had his seat belt on it would not have happened. 9 years old is just a bit older then too young to; be crossing the street by themselves walking let alone any motorize piece of equipment. 4 wheelers too. Saw that all the time tripping from Wilmington to Charlotte out there on what's the highway 84 I think.
      by To Mike on Apr 25, 2011 at 09:49 AM in reply to Mike
      I think you are still tripping! When did motorcycles start having seatbelts??!!
        by Mike on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM in reply to To Mike
        Since the time they made three passanger jet skies to ride the Cashie River on.
  • by T on Apr 25, 2011 at 03:40 AM
    To who cares... I see your point, yet the kid was wearing a helmet. I allow my son to ride dirt bikes and ensure he has protective gear. He is 10, and I allow him some freedom riding his bike. He was taught at a very early age about bikes, and I feel his skills are good. This kid was simply having a good time riding his bike, and he made a mistake which caused him injuries. Do you have kids? If not, your comment is worthless. If so, you have the right to post. I am not seeing where neglect was an issue, according to the story. I grew up riding dirt bikes, and that was the best thing in the world. My first bike was a YZ80, and I can remember feeling the force of it's power band kicking in. Great times indeed. That being said, I wish this kid a speedy recovery. Grandpa.. Do not beat yourself to death over this. It could have been much worse. I wish you the best. Take care.
      by Anonymous on Apr 25, 2011 at 04:37 AM in reply to T
      Having kids or not does not qualify someone to speak on the matter of rasing kids. There are just differences on opinion on whether children should ride dirt bikes/atvs. I believe 9 is too young esp. on a open street. Maybe a field or parking lot to learn if you must insist on them riding.
        by Vickie on Apr 25, 2011 at 06:12 AM in reply to
        You can speak,but once again your comments and void.If you have not raised a child of your own,you do not have knowledge the rest of us carry.Just another Dr. Spock with no real knowledge,just opinions.
          by Anonymous on Apr 25, 2011 at 07:04 AM in reply to Vickie
          Vickie, by no measn does having kids make someone smarter rasing them. What your saying is that if someone has not done something they can't speak on it, that's really short sided. By that logic, unless you've run for President or been President you can't speak about the Presdient or that job he is doing!
  • by who cares on Apr 24, 2011 at 07:29 PM
    I don't see why anyone cares when the kid should have not been any where near the street...Parents should take care of there kids and not feel sorry for themselves because they neglected them. They should get the other kids if any taken away.
      by family member on Apr 25, 2011 at 04:43 AM in reply to who cares
      who cares you are so ignorant for posting something so stupid you csnt have kids witn are suppose to review these comments before they are posted dont judge someone by the thing that witn post if you can read it say the driver didnt see the child but regartdless if you had a heart you would care
        by who cares on Apr 25, 2011 at 07:44 AM in reply to family member
        Instead of calling people names maybe you should check on your kids hopefully there not wondering around in the street with a helmet... And to T I do ave kids and I know exactly where they are. This is not a story about dirt bikes and how they make people feel its about a careless kid that wondered into the streets and got hit. Hope he makes it and takes it as a lesson learned.
          by a good mom on Apr 25, 2011 at 01:12 PM in reply to who cares
          who cares grow up!!! This is a way of life here we teach our kids the best we can!! Go back where you came from!! I have seen kids get hurt worse than this playing baseball or slip and sliding! Dont let your kids out to play if they get hurt someone should come take em!!! Bottom line kids are kids and they make mistakes! What your excuse???
  • by morning breakfast group on Apr 24, 2011 at 06:25 PM
    Fred, your staff was very concerned today. Please know thaty your grandson and all of the family are in our prayers. I pray for a speedy complete recovery.
  • by clint on Apr 24, 2011 at 05:35 PM
    9...riding alone? If so, that is a bit too young. Hope all turns out well. Prayers for the child and the driver of the van.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120572114 - witn.com/a?a=120572114