NEW INFO: Child Killed At School Bus Stop

A child at a school bus stop was struck and killed by a pickup truck Friday morning.

The Highway Patrol says Antonio Johnson III died after darting out in front of the pickup truck that was headed northwest on Highway 101. Troopers say the school bus had not arrived yet and the 11-year-old was hit while running across the road to the bus stop.

The accident happened around 7:15 a.m. on Highway 101 near Bell Creek Drive, that's north of Beaufort.

Johnson was a 6th grader at Beaufort Middle School and troopers say there were other students waiting at the bus stop when the accident happened. The Highway Patrol says there are no charges pending against the pickup truck driver at this time.

• by Ms. T Location: Havelock on Dec 23, 2010 at 05:31 AM
    You could be standing in your driveway and a car swerve off the road and hit your child. Does that make you a bad parent? People work and they were in their daily routine Im sure! There are daycares, but why use one if the bus is close to home and there is someone there waiting for a child to get off the bus? Our lives are written and it's so sad to see anyone on here asking such dumb questions at a time like this. To the Johnson family, it will all get better with time and my heart goes out to you. I hope that they have re- routed that bus stop because why would anyone seeing children on the road even want to go 55mph..legal or not! See a child.....SLOW DOWN for GODS sake!!! You do it if you see a bike, an animal, or even an object in the road. Put a child zone sign up. I see them all over the place and no where near bus stops!!! Thats a part of the school system and our tax money! Common sense would tell you to look for children or slow down if you know its a bus stop 55mph or not!!!
  • by dear anonymous on Nov 15, 2010 at 08:07 PM
    ever heard of woulda coulda shoulda? you think these parents arent wishing they had just walked their kid to the bus stop? kick a person when theyre down why dont you! and what kind of school allows a school bus route to include kids crossing a highway in the first place??? shame it has to take a tragedy for things to be looked at and changed.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2010 at 02:21 PM
    FOR THE PERSON THAT SAID THEY BET I DON'T HAVE A CALLUS ON MY HANDS GUESS WHAT YOU ARE SO RIGHT BUT I DO HAVE PLENTY OF PAPER CUTS FROM THE CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT CASES IN FRONT OF ME..THESE KIDS DONT HAVE A VOICE BUT I DO AND I WILL EXERCISE MY RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO SPEAK FOR THESE BABIES UNTIL THE DAY I DIE.IT IS SO MANY THINGS A PARENT CAN DO TO INSURE THE SAFETY AND WELL BEING OF THEIR KIDS..LEAVING A CHILD ALONE UNDER 13 IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR A REASON.IM SORRY FOR COMING OFF INCONCIDERATE TO MOST BUT IT ANGERS WHEN WHEN A CHILD LOSE THEIR LIFE OVER SOMETHING THAT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED..I KNOW I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO SEE THE POTENTIAL DANGER IN THIS SITUATION OF A CHILD CROSSING A HIGHWAY WHERE CARS TRAVEL AT A MINIMUM OF 55 MPH.
  • by Kristie Location: Morehead City NC on Nov 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    First let me say you have my family's deepest sympathy, and condolences. Noone, unless they have lost a child can say they know how you feel. May God be with you all in this time and bring you peace, comfort, strength and understanding. As for Anonymous, as someone else has already said, this was an accident and those comments you have made are not helping anything. No one is perfect, not even you. Some of us do not have the luxury of sitting at home all day and walking our children to and from the bus stop. Some of us actually work to provide for our children. Again, Antonio, though I did not know you, you have touched my heart. My prayers are with your family. R.I.P. Angel
  • by laura Location: greenville on Nov 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    This is such a horrific tragedy for the students, the families, and the community. Bless his family and keep them in your prayers.
  • by sisterhazel Location: chocowinity on Nov 14, 2010 at 07:18 AM
    This is to the person who is posting anonymous you need to keep your opinions to yourself while this family is going through a very difficult time. What if this was your child that was hit by a car and killed and don't make excuses as to the fact that your child would be in daycare because anything like this can happen to anybody at any given time no matter how careful you are. My thoughts and prayers go out to this family and I am deeply sorry for the loss of your child May god be with you and provide you the strength to make it through this obstacle in your lives.
  • by CM Location: greenville on Nov 14, 2010 at 05:51 AM
    Tell those that you love that you love them. And do it every day. Life is short. God bless this child and his family.
  • by Key Location: Goldsboro on Nov 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    I lost my older brother when I was 8....he was 12. I was with him when the accident happened....today I am 49 yrs old. I think of him often, wonder how my life would be different if the accident did not occur....would I have chosen my career - Medical, if it had not.... I don't understand why we bus our kids all over...I rode my bike to school, at least the first 5 grades.....I am so sorry for your loss. Its a very painful time, and you will go through many phases of grief.....rely on your faith, family, and friends during this difficult time. My deepest sympathy for your loss. - Key W.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 13, 2010 at 06:54 PM
    a lot of people is on anon case but that person do have a valid point i just think now is not an appropriate time to be saying those kind of things
  • by It could happen to anyone on Nov 13, 2010 at 05:47 PM
    @Anonymous on Nov 13, 2010 at 04:10 PM -- Let it rest, please. There's no need to cause more pain in an already unbearable situation. May Antonio's soul rest in peace.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 107484293 - witn.com/a?a=107484293