Cherry Point Marines To Deploy

Hundreds of military families are preparing to say good-bye Thursday as some Cherry Point Marines deploy.

More than 300 Marines with Marine Wing Support Squadron 271, 2nd Tank Battalion, 2nd Assault Amphibian Battalion and individual augments from II Marine Expeditionary Force will deploy aboard the USS Gunston Hall LSD-44 at state port in Morehead City. The deployment will support Security Cooperation Task Force Southern Partnership Station - 2011.

Southern Partnership Station is an annual deployment of various specialty platforms to the U.S. Southern Command area of responsibility in Central and South America. The Marine Corps says the mission's primary goal is military to military information sharing throughout the region.

• by proud marine wife on Jan 16, 2011 at 06:55 PM
    I would like for the army wife to know that these men are completely safe. My husband is one of them right now and I CAN say that from this information given here no one has any idea where they are at right now. I know i certainly wasn't educated on where they're exact location is after reading this article. So if you could take your drama else where that would be appreciated because that is my husband you are talking about and i will not stand for it! Thanks :)
  • by Marinewife Location: Cherry Point on Jan 13, 2011 at 09:36 PM
    Alright so I was there and the marine pr was the one who was asking families if they wanted to talk to the media so obviously there was nothing wrong with the news putting this out. They are have not told them anything about when and where they will be in specifics in was all generalized...also they are not deploying to a combat zone but on a humanitrain effort. No big deal they have all this posted on facebook aswell.
  • by jrod Location: pa on Jan 13, 2011 at 06:00 PM
    god bless those marines. I also would like to thank all of our men and women who have served or is serving in the miltary you dont know how much this means to us. I will keep all militery men and women in my thoughts and prays exspecilly the ones serving. thankyou. also thankyou to witn for posting this.
  • by Marinemomincherrypoint Location: pa on Jan 13, 2011 at 02:05 PM
    Ok you can't blame them for putting what they have put. if you go onto facebook you can get all this information from the cherry point facebook page. so they have not done anything wrong by putting this out there.they were also on base this morning to interview people which will be on the news tonight at 6 as per the web site..thank you WITN.
  • by HIS Location: havelock on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    My husband is one of those Marines and all of that information was made publicy so its not a huge deal
  • by veteran Marine Location: Greenville on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    Thank you!!! My case in point. I have spent 10 years in the Marine Corps and if you were in a war zone(where I have in many hot spots) you are not to give any information as to where you are and what unit you are with. This is for the Marines who are to be deployed for the time that they are in their respective locations. Please look further into this before you post comments. Thanks WITN!!
  • by To ArmyWife: on Jan 13, 2011 at 08:52 AM
    If it wasn't public, the Marine Corp wouldn't have released the information to the media.
  • by Army Wife on Jan 13, 2011 at 08:39 AM
    If they were deploying to a war zone it would be OPSEC. If you are a veteran, you of all people should know that it is! You are not suppose to give out dates, units, or where they are going or where they are stationed. That is the first thing you are told before deployment. I myself have been through 4 deployments and you are never suppose to give out this info. The news does give it out but they shouldn't. Thank you to all of our troops you have served and who are still serving! Hooah!!
  • by Vetern Marine Location: Greenville on Jan 13, 2011 at 07:19 AM
    This is not in any violation of any security. This is just informing the public of Marines leaving for deployment. all the information posted by WITN is all public. Anyone can go online to see what units are based out of Cherry Point. No lives are at risk. Our community should be aware of Marines and all armed forces of their deployment. Thanks WITN for making us oware of this. May God Bless and keep these Maries Safe. Semper Fi!!
  • by ArmyWife on Jan 13, 2011 at 06:58 AM
    WITN this is extreme OPSEC. You are putting these marines lives at risk! You should never put what unit and date they are leaving!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113450014 - witn.com/a?a=113450014