Charges Dropped, Onslow County Woman Tries To Get Life Back

A woman accused of staging a robbery at the convenience store she managed in 2009 is rejoicing now that the charges against her have been dropped.

Ruth Brunick was managing what was then the Scotchman on Highway 210 in Sneads Ferry in August of 2009 when a man came in - robbed it and beat her unconscious. Brunick however was eventually charged with larceny by an employee, felony conspiracy, and filing a false police report.

Brunick went to court for the next year and a half awaiting trial. Last week all the charges were dropped. Court records show the state was unable to prove beyond a reasonable doubt Brunick had committed any of the crimes.

Brunick says the ordeal changed her and her family's lives. She had to move in with her mother because no one would rent to her, she hasn't been able to find a job and she says she second guesses everything. But she says since last Tuesday she has started to feel like herself again, she is starting to heal.

• by Brittany Location: Washington on Jun 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    This is horrible. Didn't sound like to me from reading the story that she had done it. To make someone go that long with these charges and no one wanting to help her is just crazy. I am praying for you.
  • by anon Location: downsouth on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    being a law enforcement officer, i would love to know what evidence they had to charge her?? if there was any doubt, then you never charge just thinking someone would cave in and plead guilty. you need concrete eveidence before you bring seriuos charges against someone, you dont charge someone on soft evedence, that is when your case sinks and then it begins to stink. i rather not charge if i have doubt or not enough evidence than to have egg on my face later. someone needs to show what eveidence they had to charge her. maybe then we can see a little more on this. i know of a case where a girl allowed herself to be beat up and charge the hotel with not having security and almost won the scam of $3 million and someone told on her that was part of the scam because they argued over whos name to put on the check. lets see the evidence.
      by Bob on Jun 9, 2011 at 01:21 PM in reply to anon
      I agree...there had to be some evidence that would give them reason to believe she was guilty. They wouldn't just come up with it out of the blue.
  • by Fact Bringer Location: Greenville on Jun 9, 2011 at 09:54 AM
    This is absolutely horrible. I cannot imagine being dragged through an ordeal like this. Tell me who to vote against and I will vote against them.
  • by Moose on Jun 9, 2011 at 05:24 AM
    A wise old man once told me "If you want justice you go to the cathouse and if you want to get screwed you go to the courthouse."
  • by Johnny117 on Jun 9, 2011 at 04:50 AM
    I respect LE officers, but I don't respect the corrupt system made by these corrupt lawyers, bankers, and politicians. Everything is about the money theses days and only the innocents will pay for it. My heart0 goes out to her and her family. Best of Luck Miss Brunick!
  • by does she really? Location: Pitt County on Jun 9, 2011 at 03:41 AM
    She doesn't just jump back to her life. . . Charges are never totally "over." We live in a very messed up judicial system. She can't just walk back in to her life. It doesn't happen. I wish the DAs would realize that by agreeing to prosecute someone they are changing the person's life forever. Innocent people go through HELL in our judicial system. And, yes, there are innocent people in jail. Having recently been on a jury, the judge instructs you that all people are considered innocent. . . but, does society follow that rule when looking at people who have been charged? No, they do not. I wish her well.
  • by Curious Location: Washington on Jun 8, 2011 at 09:14 PM
    How do you beat YOURSELF unconscious??
  • by Justice on Jun 8, 2011 at 08:13 PM
    So, now the state should dish out some justice on themselves for destroying a life.
  • by puzzled on Jun 8, 2011 at 07:19 PM
    I don't remeber this story from 2009. How did law enforcement think she beat herself unconsious? I would think that would be difficult to do.
  • by Anonymous Location: Jacksonville on Jun 8, 2011 at 07:07 PM
    It is going to take some heavy duty lawsuits in order to get the attention of LE administrators and employees in this county and city. Know too much about what really goes on here. It's not pretty.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123503524 - witn.com/a?a=123503524