Changes Made At Deadly School Bus Stop

The parents of a child killed last week at a Carteret County school bus stop say they want changes made so it doesn't happen again.

Antonio Johnson III was struck while troopers say he was running across Highway 101 to his school bus stop. The 11-year-old died later at the hospital.

His parents, along with others, met this morning with Carteret County school officials who say they will make a change at that bus stop. The school system says the stop will be relocated to a side street in a nearby subdivision, instead of being on the busy highway.

The child's funeral will be 11:00 a.m. Saturday at Glad Tidings Church in Morehead City.

• by frustrated on Nov 16, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    I just wanted to clarify that what I meant was I think it's wrong for the schools to have the buses drop kids off in which they have to cross busy streets to get home. This is a sore topic for me and it's disturbing to hear of a child losing his life over something preventable. It's a topic that needs to looked at very closely. How many more kids have to die as a result before all the schools get on board and change things to protect the students? This should be a wake up call! This family is getting the message out there because they said they don't want it to happen to another child. It needs to be looked at and discussed. If kids have to cross these main roads to get on the bus then the routes need to be adjusted so no one else gets hurt or killed. Period. If no one likes my opinion I'm sorry. I just don't want to hear about any more kids getting hurt or dying when it can be prevented and should have been all along. Hopefully our voices can help create the necessary changes
  • by Hard to understand Location: downeast on Nov 16, 2010 at 03:34 AM
    I have read so bad many comments about this young man losing his life. Come on people, why has the blame game got to happen. Why can't we come together and pray for this family,the driver,friends, and fire and ems workers. Its good that his death wasn't in vane. Please speak positive about this young man and the good thing that come out of it and stop beating people up for what could have been done, or what won't have happen if it was you kid, just hug and kiss yours and thank god that it weren't your little angel that god called home. R.I.P. little man
  • by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2010 at 07:00 PM
    finally someone else see things the way i saw it from the start but yet i caught the third degree
  • by frustrated on Nov 15, 2010 at 06:26 PM
    I think it is cruel to fault the child. Kids are impulsive and even adults don't pay attention to their surroundings all the time. I agree, the kids shouldn't be put in a position to cross a busy street no matter what. I used to live on Hwy 903 in Greene Co and my kids had to cross that busy highway to get on the bus. You would think they would have the bus door facing the house when they get off and on so they won't have to cross it. I stood out there every morning and afternoon with them. I can't count how many times I watched cars speeding down the road when the bus was stopped and sign out and the cars don't stop! One time the bus driver blew the horn at them and they had the nerve to blow their horn back. Several times my kids were exiting the bus and when the cars are flying by they can't see the kids walking in front of the bus while they are illegally passing. They could have been killed. I finally got fed up and started driving them. Prayers go out to this family.
  • by ss Location: enc on Nov 15, 2010 at 03:24 PM
    No child should have to cross a highway to get to a school bus stop. Children are impulsive. You have to admire Antonio's parents for their concern for other children. He was a handsome boy.
  • by Ashley Location: Washington on Nov 15, 2010 at 03:05 PM
    I feel bad for this child that lost his life at such a young age and i feel sad for the family however I agree with Anonymous at 12:11 on this one..We learn at a VERY young age to Stop and look both ways, and this child was old enough to stop and look both ways. The bus was not even there yet, this child Darted out!
  • by makes sense on Nov 15, 2010 at 02:08 PM
    you would think that the school would consider his safety prior to assigning bus stops. no child should ever have to cross a busy street to get to their bus--the bus can come to their side of the street! sheesh, what we parents have to worry about!
  • by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2010 at 02:02 PM
    I am so happy for the changes that will be put in place...I posted anonymus on the other story concerning this precious child and people jumped all over me like white on rice and called me everything but a child of god...they say I was indirectly blaming the parents when indeed I clearly said I wasn't.I guess my views on the situation made a lot of sense and someone else agreed.It was just crazy to me for a child to have to cross a highway to catch a bus let alone cross the highway without adult help.It is a sad thing that this tragic accident had to happen b4 someone began to see the danger.TO THE PARENTS I TILT MY HEAD AND BOW DOWN TO YOU FOR YOUR STRENGTH AND CARING HEART..THE CHILDREN OF TODAY IS OUR FUTURE AND TO LOSE ONE NOT ONLY HURT THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS BUT THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY..MAY GOD BE WITH YOU IN YOUR TIME OF NEED.GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
  • by Mom of 2 Location: Greenville, NC on Nov 15, 2010 at 01:30 PM
    My condolences to this family. It says a lot about this family that they are meeting w/ the school during this difficult time to make the bus stop safer for other children.
  • by Shame Location: nc on Nov 15, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Anonymous @ 12:11, you are a cold hearted person. Times I wounder why things have to happen to people that don't deserve things like what happen to this young man, and people like you walk around here!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 108182989 - witn.com/a?a=108182989