Camp Lejeune Unit Loses 2nd Marine In Afghanistan

A Marine unit from Camp Lejeune has lost another member during combat in Afghanistan.

The Defense Department says Lance Corporal Christopher Meis of Bennett, Colorado died Thursday in the Helmand province.

The 20-year-old was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines at Camp Lejeune.

It's was the second death in less than a week for that Marine unit. On Friday Corporal Ian Muller died during combat operations as well.

• by Eleanor Location: Laffey on Mar 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    Very, very sad, my heart aches. My son serves with 2/8. Cpl Meis was attached to his platoon. R.I.P you are a true hero, thank you for your service and ultimate sacrifice.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    When you get to the gates of Heaven, to Saint Peter you do tell. Another Marine reporting, Sir. I've served my time in Hell. LCPL Meis, CPL Muller, and CPL Taylor, you are all heroes and none of you or your sacrifices will ever be forgotten. May the good Lord bless each of you and your families. Rest in peace, Marines.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 19, 2011 at 07:04 AM
    God Bless the families of these heroes. My son is with the 2/8. Also, this was the 3rd marine from 2/8 to make the ultimate sacrifice on this deployment, not the second. It seems a local news station would know this.
  • by Bruce the Shark Location: Greenville on Mar 18, 2011 at 06:49 PM
    Semper Fidelis Canis diaboli Former member of E Company 2/8 and 2/6
  • by Dave Location: Grimesland on Mar 18, 2011 at 05:57 PM
    I was in 2/8 Wpns during my active time. Rest in peace brother....Gruntz forever!
  • by randi Location: burgaw nc on Mar 18, 2011 at 04:40 PM
    my husband corporal matthew fitzgerald is over there in 2/8. sorry to the family members of the lost ones. lets all pray the people left over there will come home safe and soon. love all u guys mrs. fitzgerald
  • by Lisa Location: Virginia on Mar 18, 2011 at 04:26 PM
    LCpl Meis was 2/8's 3rd loss. Our Angels are: Cpl Johnathan Taylor- Echo Co. Cpl Ian Muller- Fox Co. LCpl Christopher S. Meis- Golf Co. All of our Angels should be remembered and I hope there are no more to add.
  • by Retired Enlisted Marine on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    Semper Fi Marine, my prayers go out to you and your family. Words can not express, thank you so much.
  • by POPPA Location: Winterville, NC on Mar 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    To the Family of Corporal Meis: Speaking for all Of Eastern North Carolina, thank you so much for your sons bravery and his giving the ultimate sacrifice so we as citizens can live in piece one more day. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and his friends. POPPA
  • by Critter on Mar 18, 2011 at 09:08 AM
    So sorry to hear about this. I hope the other guys can gather the strength to carry on. It's like losing a brother/sister when one of your guys is killed. I hope they all come home safe and sound.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118237644 - witn.com/a?a=118237644