Camp Lejeune Marine Receives Silver Star

A Camp Lejeune Marine received the Silver Star medal aboard the base Wednesday.

Capt. Timothy Sparks was honored for his valor during a fire fight with the Taliban in Afghanistan last year. The military says Sparks covered hundreds of meters of terrain in order to effectively direct his platoons. During his efforts, he disregarded his own safety and spearheaded the assault to seize key terrain and gain a foothold.

The Silver Star is the third-highest award given based on valor to any military branch of service.

• by Ty Location: Washington on Sep 29, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    To THE Voice:You are obviously purely ignorant of the fact that the soldiers are what HAVE GIVEN YOU THE RIGHT FOR FREEDOM OF SPEECH.With that being said, you are entitled to your own opinions and that is what is great about this country. However, degrading the efforts of this man to protect his fellow comrades is hardly exercising your freedom of speech. It is, in my opinion, a personal attack on this Marine.If you don't support the country you live in and you think the war on terror is "so-called" and you don't buy the "patriotic nonsense and lies": FREAKING GET OUT OF THE COUNTRY!!!!PLEASE!!!I'M SURE THERE ARE A FEW PEOPLE THAT CAN HOOK YOU UP!!! You too are more than welcome to take the same trip I spoke of in my previous post. You know, sometimes it is OK to keep your mouth shut, even though you do have Freedom of Speech.
  • by Ty Location: Washington on Sep 28, 2011 at 06:24 PM
    To anti-military: The only thing that is priceless is the intestinal fortitude of this man and countless other Marines that gives you the right to type the senseless garbage that you typed. Just because you don't agree with the cause that we are fighting for, you should NEVER belittle the efforts of this soldier (or any soldier)for his/her valor.I would rather continue to pay for these efforts for the rest of my life,than give one crumb to your starving body. I wish there was a way that we could send people with your total disrespect and unappreciation of the soldiers and the COUNTRY that they fight for to Afganistan, North Korea, China, etc. and see how much you LOVE the USA after that venture.My guess is that your views of the soldiers that provide you the "priceless" blanket of security that you go to sleep at night with will drastically change.The only real "priceless" moment will be the look on your face if you wake up one day and that blanket of security is gone.Please don't ever disrespect our military personnel again.
      by THE Voice on Sep 29, 2011 at 09:18 AM in reply to Ty
      It's called Freedom of Speech. Good job, Antimilitary. My thoughts exactly.
  • by Sarah on Sep 28, 2011 at 05:20 PM
    I get up each morning free to choose my work place, choose my house of worship on Sunday. I watched the twin towers go down, have relived 911 thru the media for ten years. Had family that was a prisoner of war in WW II. Yes, I am very proud of this young man and his service. Sorry for the antimosity of people in this country that have the same freedom.
  • by voter Location: nc on Sep 28, 2011 at 03:54 PM
    Semper Fi
  • by Antimilitary on Sep 28, 2011 at 03:50 PM
    One silver star medal- $24.99. The so-called "war on terror"- Nearly $1,000,000,000,000.00. Going to sleep at night knowing you don't support the troops or buy the patriotic nonsense and lies- PRICELESS.
  • by Just Me on Sep 28, 2011 at 07:34 AM
    CONGRATULATIONS MARINE ! Thank you to all the men and women who serve.
  • by Harold Location: NC on Sep 28, 2011 at 05:49 AM
    Congratulations! Thank you for serving.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130690268 - witn.com/a?a=130690268