Building Inspector Checks Mobile Home Park Where People Died In Fire

A Morehead City building inspector was on site at a Mobile Home park Tuesday afternoon just days after two people died in a shed fire where they were living.

Neighbors in the Willis Mobile Home Park tell us there are other squatters in their mobile home park.

However- the town and the park property manager say they never heard about other people living in sheds in the park. Linda Staab is the planning director and says, "We have not received any complaints about anyone living in sheds.

The cause of the fire is still being investigated. Morehead City Police tell us the autopsies are scheduled for Wednesday.

• by joy Location: morehead city on Jan 18, 2012 at 09:46 AM
    Rumors say that one of the men that lived in the shed actually paid "rent". The other man had an apartment of his own. It is a shame that we have done this to the veterns of America. They defended us for freedom and yet we let them live in sheds.
  • by Native Location: Grantsboro on Jan 18, 2012 at 06:16 AM
    I also noticed the "it's illegal" to stay in them comment, but I think this comes from building codes, etc. Personally I think the Government should stay out of it, if they want to live in a barn and have dangerous electricity ran to it then so be it. It's ok to live in a tent or a cardboard box but not a barn? And we thought we lived in the land of the FREE!
  • by Excuse me on Jan 18, 2012 at 04:52 AM
    I saw on the local news last night where they said living in a shed is illegal. Really? Some politician actually passed a law that said living in a shed is against the law? Wow. How about you, would you rather live in a shed during the cold months or under a bridge exposed to the weather? The guy they interviewed has been living in one for over a year and pays $15 a month. I'm sorry these two people lost their life, but they may have lost their life over a $1.99 beer also, by a gang of teenagers. They were trying to stay warm and out of harms way.
  • by John Location: Washington on Jan 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    Haha,mr. Bubbles on trailer park boys! That is what happened to him... Lol
  • by Anonymous Location: Carteret County on Jan 17, 2012 at 08:17 PM
    "Property Manager Julie Moore said, "To my knowledge there's not anybody else living in any sheds, there's lawn mowers, one family had bongos and a piano and stuff like that in a shed. I've seen tools, I've seen an ice chest and things, but not a makeshift home."" Seriously? A makeshift home. I've seen plenty and seen them all over the county. This is nothing new. Maybe new to her, but nothing new in this county. Unfortunately it was bound to happen, and unavoidable. There really is no place for the homeless to go when it gets cold like this, except for the jail, but that's overcrowded as it is. It's amazing that we can set up shelters during hurricanes for people to stay and sleep but we have no where for someone to stay when it gets cold enough to jeopardize life.
      by REally on Jan 18, 2012 at 04:54 AM in reply to Anonymous
      Now you know darn well Carteret County doesn't want homeless folks in their towns. What would the tourist think? Of course they don't have homeless shelters.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137532863 - witn.com/a?a=137532863