Budget Proposal Would Close EMS Stations

Tough budget times could mean the loss of two EMS stations in one Eastern Carolina county.

Duplin County commissioners have given preliminary approval to a new budget that closes the two stations and eliminates 12 EMS positions. Four of those positions are currently vacant.

Commissioners will hold a public hearing Monday night on the new budget which if approved will close down EMS stations in Kenansville and Rose Hill. A final vote on the budget could happen after that public hearing.

Commissioners say the proposal would close the county's two newest EMS stations, which were opened in 2006. Some residents have voiced concern that the move would put people too far away from critical emergency care in the rural county.

• by Kathryn Dakin Location: Monroe on Jun 10, 2011 at 09:43 AM
    Typical commissioners - cut needed critical services and not the commissioners salary - I say, VOTE THESE PEOPLE OUT!!!!!!! Leave the Medic Schedule as it is!
  • by No one Location: Eastern NC on Jun 6, 2011 at 03:44 PM
    I don't live there but I can tell you that they are making a big mistake. As a career firefighter/emt, I can't even begin to tell you how many times a day we are abused. But there is always that one time that we make a difference. I can also tell you that we rely heavily on volunteer emts, firefighters, and first responders. They are a great asset; but, in most areas they are becoming very scarce. It seems not many people have the time to dedicate to it now-a-days. We are seeing a drastic decline in volunteers in our area and it is definitely having an impact on ems services right now. Sometimes it takes excessive time for a couple of our all volunter squads to respond. I'm not knocking what they do. They are in need of some serious help. Our county needs to put more paid units in place; but like we are seeing here, they say the money is not available. Funny thing is - they just offerred the county manager a HUGH raise....but he left anyway. Not taking away anything from your volunteer squads - I hope they find a way to keep your people in place. There's no need to go backwards where this is concerned. The true cost may be someone's life. Could it be your's?
  • by bs on Jun 6, 2011 at 02:41 PM
    if duplin is anything like pitt then the county comissioners have voted to give them self a raise in the fairly recent past then decieded to cut funding for public services (ems, fire, law enforcement) to make up for the budget deficet instead of putting thier raise back on the table.
  • by suzyq on Jun 6, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    Personally, I find it very hard to believe that there aren't more places (events center funding, "economic development" jobs, expensive printed advertisements, fairs) that, given these truly dire economic times, would not be missed AT ALL--unlike emergency services. Duplin County residents, come to the meeting and let your voices be heard!
  • by Anonymous Location: Eastern North Caroina on Jun 6, 2011 at 09:18 AM
    Whoa, I don’t know about “volunteer”, but I AM A VOLUNTEER EMT-Paramedic and have been volunteering in the same EMS organization for twenty-five years. I choose not to work a paramedic career because my BSBA degree helps me earn nearly four times the typical paramedic salary. Community oriented citizens who take the initiative to earn an EMT certification and serve their community are not the problem, but rather part of the solution. My agency uses both career paramedics and volunteer EMT’s, EMT-I’s, and a few volunteer EMT-P’s to provide excellent service to our community. By the way, NC General Statue 131-158 prohibits any person not certified as a Medical Responder or higher from driving an ambulance while transporting a patient. This would exclude the vast majority of your firefighters. Your “Para-God” attitude discredits the EMS profession.
  • by angela Location: pink hill on Jun 5, 2011 at 08:06 AM
    I find it very sad that some of you would still come on here and blast ems, and some of you, I know exactly who you are, and should be ashamed of yourself. I am sure that when something happens to you, and help is not there in a timey manner, you will not contently sit back and accept the consequences of the commissioners actions...I guarantee you will be among the first ungrateful, ignorant people to sue the system, because now you have no control over your left side, because you've had a massive stroke. people like you sicken me, feel the need, I hope nothing every happens to you, but when it does, I know without a doubt that the EMS personnel in Duplin County will provide you with the best care...regardless of your statements, regardless of your feelings. If they want to make cuts, how about they higher ups open their own mail, and answer their own phone calls, does there really need to be 3 ladies accepting water payments? I'd rather stand in line for a few minutes to pay my water bill, then wait 20-30 minutes for an ambulance when my mother has an asthma attack, this may be a rural county, but the citizens are no less important than the ones in new york, there are other places to cut costs, without jeopardizing lives...just some are to naive, and well lazy to look, EMS has always been the fall back, the system is abused, and calls aren't prioritized in dispatch, so they run when they are called, regardless of wether it's a true emergencey or not. you complain about using fuel, talk to your friends and neighbors and fellow citizens who abuse the system and not pay, or how about collect taxes on the thousands of acres of land that for some odd reason no one owns but yet still farms...there are other ways, and I am sorry if you feel EMS is wasting your tax dollars, but your a waste of time!
  • by Obama Snake Oil Co Location: Washington on Jun 3, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    Nothing prevents the people of the area that are covered by this station to not fund it. This is being done by the county commissioners, not the state gov in Raleigh..read the story....
  • by Wow on Jun 3, 2011 at 06:55 AM
    You moron's who complain about us EMS workers "standing around" and "riding around" and wasting you tax dollars, are the first morons who cry foul when you loved DIES, because no one is close to respond and possibly save her life. If you need us and we are not there, you will understand you go what you wanted. To those of you who appreciate what we do, we do it because we appreciate you as a community and love our job. Whether you like us or not, or support us or not, we will still be there in your time of need.
  • by Concerned Person! Location: North Carolina on Jun 2, 2011 at 09:11 PM
    I think it is sad for someone to sit behind a desk who does not have a clue about how EMS and how it impacts the lives of many people!! who is the real god? and decides who lives or dies due to there lack of knowledge or should i say just a person making a dumb decision base on it they get elected back into there little seat!!! Dude wake up people of Duplin!!! Time is Lives and the lack of proper coverage will make the difference between life and death!! and last the people who makes these cuts for the citizens in the county will not feel the effects till it happens to them and then there will be change, so again who should be making improtant decisions on life? people with sitting behind a little desk or the big man upstairs? make cuts in the other deptartments that don't make a impact on who lives or dies!~~~~!!!!
  • by AvoidingDuplin on Jun 2, 2011 at 08:54 PM
    I guess I know what county to not drive through from now on. Seriously, I have never heard of a call volume decreasing for EMS annually, ever. Call volumes continue to climb, and training continues to be more intense. To step backwards as this proposal states is not in the best interest. Unless of course, one could stop the person with a 3 day old headache from calling and tying up an Emergency vehicle for a complaint best suited to go to a primary doctor for......Good luck citizens of Duplin County, hope you can drive when you are in need of help.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123031088 - witn.com/a?a=123031088