Boil Water Advisory For Part Of Carteret County

Carteret County officials have issued a boil water advisory for people in the North River/Mill Creek water system.

The advisory is a precaution, officials say. A recent sample of drinking water tested positive for the presence of coliform bacteria.

"Usually, coliforms are a sign that there could be a problem with the treatment or distribution system (pipes)," says a statement issued by Carteret County. "Whenever we detect coliform bacteria in any sample, we do follow-up testing to see if other bacteria of greater concern, such as fecal coliform or E. coli, are present. We did not find any of these bacteria in our subsequent testing. However, we advise customers to boil water used for human consumption until we have determined that the coliform bacteria is no longer present in the system."

Bring all water for human consumption to a boil, let it boil for one minute, and let it cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice.

Boiling the water kills any bacteria and other organisms in water.

• by Nicole Location: Mill Creek on Nov 15, 2011 at 05:25 PM
    What I would like to know is WHY does the north river/mill creek water system have a boil water advisory at least once a month? and since they just raised our water bill by 20%, seems they could afford to get decent pipes to give us clean drinking water that we pay for. And another thing, WHY was I not given a notice on the door or a phone call to let me and other residents know? I just found this out, me and my family have been drinking and bathing in this stuff
  • by Anonymous on Nov 15, 2011 at 09:32 AM
    Yes it would have been nice to have a phone call to let us know. Alot of us are not glued to the television all day to hear the notice. Im wondering if the smell going over the bridge in Newport, and all the ditches all the way down mill creek rd has something to do with the water having problems...check the sewage plant. That smell is certainly not marsh mud...
  • by Laurie Location: Mill Creek on Nov 15, 2011 at 03:49 AM
    My question is. I just found out about this. How come no one from the water department came around and left a notice to let us know. And no phone call. And they want there bill paid ASAP but they can not do their part and advise the residens of this mess.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 14, 2011 at 08:36 AM
    No one should drink it anyway. There is arsenic, lead and all kinds of garbage in the water. Gross. Get bottled water or at the least put a filter on your tap.
  • by Am I Missing Something? Location: ENC on Nov 14, 2011 at 07:29 AM
    Carteret County seems to have a boil water advisory at least once a month. Is there a bigger problem here that is being overlooked or is the water just that polluted?
      by Anonymous on Nov 14, 2011 at 01:29 PM in reply to Am I Missing Something?
      Is that rhetorical? lol I'm thinking the answer is yes, and yes.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133800343 - witn.com/a?a=133800343