Body Of Missing Fisherman Found

The body of the 25-year-old fisherman that went missing Friday night, April 22nd at Sneads Ferry has been found.

According to officials the body was located Sunday just before noon on the shore line a couple miles away from the area he went in at.

Officials previously identified the missing fisherman as Josh Hughes of Johnston County.

Hughes went missing in the water after he was fishing with another man and their boat was swamped by a wave. The other man was able to get ashore and call 911, Hughes hadn't been seen since.

Previous Story:

Officials have released the name of the fisherman who went missing in the waters near Sneads Ferry Friday.

25-year-old Josh Hughes of Benson in Johnston County has not been seen since boating in Onslow County Friday night, according to the Jacksonville Daily News.

The search for Hughes has been called off, but officials will continue to monitor the waters for any sign of him.

Previous Story:

Officials say the search for a fisherman who is missing in waters near Sneads Ferry is now a recovery effort.

Beth Himes with Onslow County Emergency Services said several agencies have been searching for the man since last night when the 911 call came in at 10:48 p.m.

Himes said, two men were fishing Friday evening when their boat was swamped by a wave. Both men then jumped out of the boat. One man was able to reach a buoy barrel, but lost sight of the other man in the water. The man who reached the buoy, cut the rope holding it in place and floated to shore. He then was able to reach a phone and called 911. Neither man was wearing a life jacket when they exited the boat.

North Topsail Beach Fire Department is currently in command of the recovery efforts. They are being assisted by the Jacksonville Rescue Squad, N.C. Wildlife, the Onslow County Sheriffs Department, the Coast Guard and Sneads Ferry Rescue.

Crews will continue to search for the missing man until dusk. They will resume their search Sunday morning if they do not find him.

Neither man has been identified, but Himes says both men are from the Benson area.

• by pete Location: grifton on May 2, 2011 at 02:03 PM
    Sorry for your loss I know you miss him,that inlet is one of the most deadly ones I ever tried to go out.My wife and I almost got swamped by a large wave.when my 20 foot boat went down the depth finder showed 4 feet when the wave lifted my boat up it showed 14 feet,I had to go out in the ocean turn the boat around then head back threw it again.never again.I am very very. sorry for your loss.
  • by Aunt Carolyn Location: Farmlife on May 2, 2011 at 02:00 PM
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, Love leaves a memory no one can steal.
  • by Patty Location: Four Oaks on May 2, 2011 at 01:50 PM
    I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one, you and your family will be in my prayers
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on May 2, 2011 at 07:04 AM
    From one who loves to go out and fish the coastal waters my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of this man.
  • by Chasity Location: Four Oaks on Apr 30, 2011 at 09:51 AM
    My prayers go out to the family. Hope they can find answers very soon for the whole family! Many Many Many Prayers are going out your way....
  • by TRAVIS Location: WAYNESVILLE NC 28785 on Apr 28, 2011 at 08:35 AM
    COUSIN JOSH, YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED AND NEVER FORGOTTEN , I KNOW YOUR IN HEAVEN SMILING DOWN ON US ALL NOW WITH GRANNY RALEIGH (RUTH) AND YOUR DADDY (JIMMY) LOVE ALWAYS TRAVIS ASHLEY JOHN AND CINDY
      by Anonymous on May 2, 2011 at 07:12 AM in reply to TRAVIS
      So sorry for your loss Travis. My prayers are with all of you. Just keep the faith!
  • by Cliff Location: N.C. on Apr 28, 2011 at 07:13 AM
    Josh,you will be greatly missed on Hemphill. Cliff and Pat
      by TRAVIS on Apr 28, 2011 at 08:35 AM in reply to Cliff
      MY COUSIN WAS A GREAT MAN AND WILL BE MISSED SO MUCH
  • by DW on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    Brandy, I'm not sure that you would remember me or not, but i am Dana. Josh and I were i guess what you would call high school sweet hearts but went longer than high school. I want you to know that i have a million prayers a day, and hoping for a miracle. I'm sure where ever he is he's smiling great big like he always does. Nothing got him down to where he wouldn't smile :)
  • by Millie Location: Greenville on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:24 AM
    This is awful. I can't see why this story is so far down the line now. We are all interested in finding this person.
  • by ricky103059 Location: goldsboro on Apr 25, 2011 at 04:16 AM
    Was there when survivor made it to shore , guys was pitiful . Had seen his best friend swim opposite direction . Rough water at the river played a big role, very choppy and strong sw wind. It could happen to any of us. Hope all the family the best, our praters are with you

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120544104 - witn.com/a?a=120544104