UPDATE: Body Found At Greenville VA Outpatient Clinic

Greenville police say it appears a Vanceboro man shot and killed himself in the parking lot of the VA Outpatient Clinic this morning.

The body of Clifton Lancaster Jr. was found inside a Toyota Tundra around 7:40 a.m.

Police say they found a handgun inside the vehicle and preliminary investigation does not indicate any foul play.

The: 62-year-old man's body will now undergo an autopsy at the Pitt County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Previous Story

Greenville police are investigating the discovery of a body found this morning at the Veterans Administration Outpatient Clinic on Moye Boulevard.

Police say the man's body was discovered around 7:40 a.m. when employees came to work. The man was found inside a Toyota Tundra pickup truck.

Police say at this point they are not sure how the man died.

• by Shaunty Ipock Location: San Antonio, TX on Dec 4, 2010 at 04:58 PM
    Thank you for all the posts, I just got back from Greenville after a very devastating week and to read these posts really helps in my healing process. My father suffered with depression and PTSD for many years, I just wish there was something I could've done to prevent this. Again, thank you for your posts.
  • by intheper Location: atlantic on Dec 2, 2010 at 06:36 PM
    Brenda: my thanks is not needed, but thank you for being sincere and gracious. my child served, my father served, my father in law served, and my ex husband served. my child has been thru 3 ops for the army doc's grossly negigent surgeries on her feet. another one coming soon, after her waiting for 2 years. they screws are popping out of her feet. on another occasion, my ex was suffering a severe ear infection.we sat in the va clinic for 8 hours, with no movement at all. 8 HOURS! we had to go to a 24 hour emergency clinic. HOW DISGRACEFUL AND SICKENING. i ams sorry for your father's preventable condition, which soley lies in the hands of our 'verteran's services'. it is no wonder people see no other end but to take thier own lives. God bless you and your father, and the family in this article for their loss of a brave, honorable man that our system mistreated to the point of suicide.
  • by militaryspouse Location: Fayetteville on Dec 1, 2010 at 05:25 AM
    My thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Lancaster's family and friends. My father is a vet and suffers from PTSD. No-one can truly understand the pain and suffering of a veteran other than another veteran. To see the things they have seen is more than some can handle mentally and emotionally. To his grandchildren, your grandpa was a hero. Thank you Mr. Lancaster for all you have done for this country and may you rest in peace.
  • by Brenda Location: Washington on Dec 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM
    to intheper: I agree with u. 1st off thank you. My father is a vet. He goes to the va clinic in Durham. A few years ago he called them sayinging he needed to be seen right away. In the several days it took them to call back he had a heart attack. He is now on full disability due to that which was 5 years ago now. Had they gotten him in he would not have suffered like he did. FYI he had to foot the bill to Pitt Mem. since he did not go to the VA clinic they would not pay it even though he tried to get in to see them. It is a disgrace how they treat you all. Thanks again for all that you have done for us.
  • by emma Location: greenville on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    1)I wish to express sincere sympathy to the family of this veteran. It is hard to lose a parent, and to lose one to suicide can complicate the grief process...2) I wonder what motivated this man to take his life at the clinic parking lot? If he were angry at the VA, I doubt that his wishes were served by doing it in this setting...the workers who found him, who did not know him personally, were quite traumatized...3) I am amazed by the angry posts to this story which assume that this Vet was denied care or given poor care...
  • by Obama Location: Keepthechange on Nov 30, 2010 at 08:00 PM
    I see everyday how much we help these vets. My dad has GREAT VA care at the Greenville CBOC and Durham VA. Dr. Lynch saved his life. I hate it when things like this happens. I have the family in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
  • by Greg Morris Location: Vanceboro on Nov 30, 2010 at 06:12 PM
    Posted by: Son on Nov 29, 2010 at 09:05 PM On behalf of his family, I thank you for your support. I know the people in his support group were important to him, and he felt they were the only ones who could really understand some of his pain. He suffered for a long time, but we're sad he chose this final solution. He left behind 2 children and 4 grandchildren who love him greatly.--Clif's son ====================================================== I don't know if I would know you or not but I dearly love your GrandMother. She use to work at Vera's diner and was the nicest person one could ever hope to meet. My wife and I intend to go visit with her this week. Life seems to keep us so busy we don't take time for the really important things like a simple visit to someone. You have our prayers!
  • by intheper Location: atlantic on Nov 30, 2010 at 04:34 PM
    our veterans are treatedly so badly. treatment takes months or years, and the treatment itself is mediocre at best. they served their country, and get treated like cattle in line. shame on our government. there are numerous investigations into the treatment or lack of for our soldiers/vets. this is a sad ending, and many veterans commit suicide every year, along with returning soldiers of war. i am outraged and livid, for i myself have seen that a soldier leaving home to go to war is not the same person coming back. i personally know of 1 who committed suicide after returning home from the iraq war. SHAME ON MY GOVERNMENT! SHAME SHAME SHAME! and we pay you? drime.
  • by NAVY on Nov 30, 2010 at 03:25 PM
    Our VETS should be treated better.
  • by Geneva Location: Greenville, NC on Nov 30, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    To the family of this veteran, I wish to express my deepest and most sincere sympathy for your loss. I am very fortunate to have my father and I cannot imagine your pain. My father is also 62 years old and fought in Vietnam as well. He still can't talk about some of the horrible things he experienced there. It breaks my heart to think that as a country, we have not done our very best to care for and support our veterans. My father has endured many years of painful emotions due to his service in Vietnam, Korea and Saudi Arabia. After 29 years of military service, my father retired last year. And to this day he still hasn't received his VA benefits so that he can receive medical treatment locally. We all need to take a moment and think of the sacrifices military families endure. The consequences last throughout our lives. As a country, we need to put forth a better effort to take care of our veterans!!!! May God Bless Them All!!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 110973559 - witn.com/a?a=110973559