Bill Proposes Cutting N.C. Students' Summers Short

Right now in North Carolina, schools can not start before August 25th or end after June 10th. A new bill would allow local school systems to decide, as long as it's not earlier than August 15th. There would be no end-date restriction.

We talked with some parents in New Bern who say they don't like the idea because they enjoy having a long summer with their kids. Craven County school officials say the new bill would especially help out high school students.

"To take those exams prior to Christmas holiday and they don't have to come back after Christmas as it is in the past several years. It helps for retention of that material," said Anetta Davenport with Craven County Schools.

Some say extending school might affect tourism, but officials in Craven County say they don't think so.

A bill has been introduced in the state legislature that would let schools start as early as August 15. Currently, school can't start before August 25. Do you support the bill?

• by Granny Location: ENC on Feb 27, 2011 at 03:23 PM
    Why do we have this antiquated school calendar anyway? No one has to be out to work on the farm anymore in the summer months, which is its origin anyway. Why not year round school? Research shows that the first 9 weeks is usually spent on reviewing what was learned in April and May of the year before. The year round calendar would be 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off. Research also shows that students retain better under a year round calendar. I personally would love a three-week break when the weather is nice and not scorching.
  • by Bruce the Shark Location: Greenville on Feb 26, 2011 at 08:36 PM
    There would be nothing wrong with starting earlier in August so that I could start my summer earlier. The fishing is better in June then in August anyway. I will still have to teach 180 days so that I can be judged by the scores that my middle school students make on their reading and math EOGS that we spend over 3 to 4 million a year on that are not used to retain children anyway. I know that most of all state workers work hard but the the majority don't deal with the rudeness/disrespect of children raised by moms that don't value education. I post the number of a lawyer so when a child tells me they are sueing me because I run a strict classroom they can call a lawyer. that's what they are taught at home. I think that starting early enough so that the semester end before Christmas is a great idea anyway. I learned when I first started teaching to work smarter every day, update my grades everyday, keep up with my PEP's,do the B/S reports needed, and stay under the radar.
  • by Kacie on Feb 26, 2011 at 07:32 PM
    why even have school at all in NC. its a joke. worst in the country. the kids is stupit and done care. the teachers make money hand over fist and dont care. everybody i know dropped out because it stupit.
  • by tug Location: New Bern on Feb 26, 2011 at 05:30 PM
    I do not support this bill. if they can change the date school starts and stops, seems to me they can change the dates of the exams. Why are grading periods 6 or 9 weeks? Because somebody decided they were. Change that. Summer is the only time I get with my kids to travel and see things. Do not mess with it.
  • by G on Feb 26, 2011 at 05:00 PM
    I don't understand the push to start school earlier. If anything, they should be pushing it back as far as possible to save on the AC bill. It's always hotter in August than in late May/early June. School around here should start the day after Labor Day just to save some electricity. Lastly, I always had exams after Christmas break, gives you more time to study.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 26, 2011 at 04:52 PM
    Why can't they take the exams before christmas? Columbia always have the exams before christmas. Sounds like whoever is doing the calendar at their school don't know what they are doing.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 26, 2011 at 01:01 PM
    I am a teacher and to the one that says teacher workdays are a joke need to walk in a teacher's shoes. We teachers have to go to staff development workshops, grade papers, post grades, and a many other things on the workdays. We carry work home and we work on weekends. A lot of times you can find me in my classroom on a Saturday or Sunday. Many people out there works 5 days and then they can forget about their jobs until the next Monday. Teachers can not. Unless you are a teacher you really do not know what goes on in the schools or what goes on the teacher workdays.
  • by That Guy on Feb 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    To the person who responded to "Judy"- you are lying about your wife being a teacher or you obviously are not a supportive husband and I am sure she could do a lot better than you. Your wife being a teacher also does not make you an expert on the matter, nor does it impress me. What is wrong with a teacher looking out for their best interests? Do you honestly expect me to believe you would not do the same? How about not making a sweeping generalization about teachers?
  • by Anonymous on Feb 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    Sounds like your problem is more with your wife than teachers.
  • by To Judy on Feb 26, 2011 at 09:53 AM
    And that is what the problem is. every teacher I know, Speaks the same High and mighty talk, teachers need to step out of their own shoes, and look at things from a different perspective. Teachers are NOT the only people who have to take work home, work on weekends, be called off of vacation, etc etc etc.... Teachers live in "Teacher world", Because that is the only world they know. If your job as a teacher is that bad, then quit. Don't push your teacher politics on me. BTW, my wife is a teacher, and is clueless to what happens outside of the school system.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116959643 - witn.com/a?a=116959643