Big Turnout At Eastern Run/Walk For Autism

Saturday was Autism Awareness day and around fifteen hundred people in Greenville walked and ran for the cause.

It was the third annual Eastern Run/Walk For Autism. Last year the event raised over thirty thousand dollars. Officials hope to raise even more money this year.

Organizers at the Greenville Town Commons collected donations throughout the day. For many it is an opportunity to connect with others who are dealing with the disease.

Amy Soderstorm is a parent of autistic children and said, “I've cried almost three times this morning already, but mainly because I have twins with autism. They're ten years old and its important to get the world out to people in our community that they're here."

Christie Kay, also a parent of an autistic child said, “This is a proud moment, a lot of hard work has come together nicely, it’s a good turnout. It's just amazing to see the groups and teams getting larger and larger every year.”

Proceeds from the event benefit the programs and services supported by the Pitt County Chapter of the Autism Society of North Carolina in Eastern NC as well as some statewide services provided through the Autism Society of North Carolina. For over 40 years, the Autism Society of North Carolina has helped individuals on the autism spectrum and their families.

• by newport Location: newport on Apr 3, 2011 at 01:02 PM
    i am from PA and I havea child with autism----i can not believe how little services there are here for autistic children---these kids need the biggest support base available to be abail attain what they need---as long as we set the bar low enough that is all they will ever reach----lets raise the bar higher and give them the opportunities they deserve!!!!!!!!!!!Come on North Carolina
  • by Terri Location: Ayden on Apr 3, 2011 at 08:16 AM
    Thank you to everyone who came out to support our guys (and gals) with autism! It was a wonderful day. Thank you also to the folks who worked so hard to put it together and to WITN for covering this event designed to bring awareness to a disability that affects so many people in eastern NC. As a parent of a 16 yo with autism, I was so proud to be a part of the walk yesterday!! Great job!
  • by JoAnn Location: Vanceboro on Apr 2, 2011 at 07:41 PM
    I sure wish I would have know this was going on. I wanted to be there. My 8 yr old son has autism, we wanted to come out for the event. maybe there can be some more publicity BEFORE the event next time.
      by Vickie on Apr 3, 2011 at 07:37 AM in reply to JoAnn
      IF you had "wanted to come",then you knew such an event was to take place?Correct.
        by Michelle on Apr 3, 2011 at 08:42 AM in reply to Vickie
        To JoAnn: I am sorry you missed the Eastern Run/ Walk for Autism this year. Last year was my first year participating and I really did enjoy it. I was unable to attend this year as well, but know many people who did. If you would like to know more in advance of things like this, you may look on the NC Autism Society webpage. There are always events listed on their website. I do not know if your son is newly diagnosed or not, but I do know when our son was diagnosed at age 9, it was very overwhelming and while I couldn't get enough info at the time, I have had to learn to slow down and pace myself. There are many resources out there including TEACCH, Autism Society and local support groups that may increase your awareness of upcoming events. I hope and pray this info is helful to you. Good luck in the future:)
          by JoAnn on Apr 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM in reply to Michelle
          Thanks for the positive feedback. I looked up there a couple months ago and it didn't have it up there. I work and take care of the kids. My son has so many other things going on with him, it seems like we have appts all the time. My son was diagnosed at age 6 with ASD and we have been here and there with everything. My 2 year old is just like my son in many areas and seems to be worse in the area of routine changes. I had her evaluated and they just tell me she has sensory issues. She is too much like him and the mouthing different things, loud noises. Just the little things. Please feel free to email me, I would like to have somebody else to talk to, cause like you I am new at this too.
          by Anonymous on Apr 4, 2011 at 04:08 AM in reply to Michelle
          JoAnn our e-mail doesn't show up on this page. Its for witn's references only.
        by Anonymous on Apr 3, 2011 at 11:21 AM in reply to Vickie
        Well Vicky I have to work, try to raise my son and daughter the best way I can without a lot of outside help. I have time to get up here and check the news once in awhile. Plus go to all the appts during the week, my son has other issues than just autism. If you would like to come over and watch my kids so I have more free time, well come on I will take all the help I can get. And I did look at the NC autism society page a couple months ago and it wasn't up there. My email address is up there so feel free to drop me a line when you know there is something coming up since you have so much time.
          by Vickie on Apr 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM in reply to
          NO Thanks,I don't help raise anyone elses kids,mine are grown,so I am loving the free time.Good Luck to you and just to let you know,your life isn't that much harder than every other working Mom with kids.You "got this",I am sure ;}
          by Fact Bringer on Apr 3, 2011 at 03:06 PM in reply to
          Folks like "Vickie" often post on forums like this in order to draw anger from others- it's called internet trolling and is unfortunately one of the unhealthy things people do on this website from time to time. Usually just displaced anger.
          by Anonymous on Apr 4, 2011 at 01:28 AM in reply to
          Ignore snotty Vicky. Karma will pay a visit and she'll figure out that there are harder things in life than she realizes. That persnickety attitude about not helping anyone else will come back to haunt her, believe that.
          by Vickie on Apr 4, 2011 at 06:38 AM in reply to
          The assumptio,that I don't help anyone,could not farther from the truth.I have volunteered at the UCP here in Greenville,and been a Sub teacher,throughout my children's schooling.I also am a volunteer and at Nursing Homes,which happens to be my first love.What do you do? Karma has two fingers headed your way....lol.I no longer care to be around small kids,so I choose my OWn way of helping my community.Now if you to be mad at me go right ahead,but I didn't get "help" while raising mine,nor expected it.
  • by Bruce the Shark Location: Greenville on Apr 2, 2011 at 06:03 PM
    I have worked with several autistic children and have had them in my classroom for inclusion. I would much rther teach these wonderful children instead of the 14/15 year olds in 7th grade that don't care about anything except selling drugs for their momma's and their gangs during school hours. Great job people.
      by Farmville on Apr 2, 2011 at 06:42 PM in reply to Bruce the Shark
      Very Well Said! Thank you to you and to all the wonderful teachers that care enough to teach our children with Autism!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119126544 - witn.com/a?a=119126544