Bethel Man Charged With Squatting In $1.8M House

A man from the Pitt County town of Bethel is accused of squatting in a Raleigh house worth $1.8 million. The 10,000 square-foot home in Wakefield had been empty for years, until neighbors noticed someone sitting on the porch, even doing yard work.

According to neighbors, the word on the street was a basketball player had moved in, reported to be a "real nice guy" but was on the road a lot.

They probably won't see Javon Howell around the neighborhood very much anymore. He's been arrested on charges of breaking and entering, obtaining property over $100,000 by false pretenses and forging a deed.

According to records, the 30 year old man has bonded out of the Wake County jail.

• by JusticeForAll on Nov 11, 2011 at 04:14 PM
    What this guy did is no different that what CitiBank, Wells Fargo, Chase, etc., have been doing for years--claim possession of a home they have no clear title for, forge documents of ownership and obligation, and then use the property for their own enrichment. He is no better or worse than the Banksters--the difference is he is not part of the "International Bankster Club", who have bought and paid for the Courts and LEAs...
  • by Macdaddy on Nov 10, 2011 at 04:02 PM
    What? A brothu can't own a big fancy house like the white man?
      by Gray on Nov 14, 2011 at 01:02 PM in reply to Macdaddy
      Yes he can, if he gets it LEGALLY !!!!
  • by Annie Mae Location: Washington on Nov 10, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    There are people that have done worse crimes than this and have gotten away with it, for instance murdering an innocent child, and I think you know who I am talking about. The man is very smart, he knows how to beat the system, its the nosey neighbors. Look at who the neighbors were, white people. Truth be known I bet that because he was a black man that is why something was said. And U agree with all the positive comments made on his behalve.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM in reply to Annie Mae
      Wow; how many more out there think just like you. That is about the most racist comment I have read on these forums lately. NO one has a right to anything they don't own; black, white, or purple. It's another form of STEALING. He should be made to pay restitution amounting to the going rent for a dwelling that size, for the time period he enjoyed it. If the utilities were on, he should also pay the bill for that time period. Unacceptable; totally.
        by Kellie on Nov 16, 2011 at 08:29 AM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        i completelty agree with you on that statement!!!
      by Anonymous on Nov 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM in reply to Annie Mae
      Annie Mae, Do you think the neighbors would have allowed a poor white trash male live in that house. Could it be that it was wrong for any squatter to live in that house. Right is right and wrong is wrong.
        by Anonymous on Nov 12, 2011 at 12:24 AM in reply to
        I Guess thats the same reason why Mcdonalds throws pound and pounds of cooked food away every day, instead of sending it to a shelter. We would rather throw food away than to feed another. Someone threw this home away... its been empty for years... They would rather the house rot than to have another stay in it... pure selfishness and greed... The American Way!!!!!
  • by My Brotha on Nov 10, 2011 at 04:16 AM
    Please leave this man alone. He not hurting nobody. He didn't pop no caps at noone or beat nobody up or rob no fast food place.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 05:55 PM
    As long as it wasn't someone else's house I don't think it that big of a deal. He didn't hurt or kill anyone to stay there, yes it was breaking a law but how many of you have gone over the speed limit, jay walked, or broke any other law???? I mean seriously, if I thought I could live in a million dollar home and get away with it I would. I would just have to make sure I made enough money to get someone to do the yard work for me, because I'm sure it wasn't a small yard at all lol.
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Nov 10, 2011 at 05:23 AM in reply to
      People who think like you are a dime a dozen.
  • by Polly on Nov 9, 2011 at 04:03 PM
    Anderson I know you read comments religiously and I love you and miss you.
      by Anderson on Nov 10, 2011 at 04:14 AM in reply to Polly
      Polly, please leave me alone, it's over between us.
  • by HWJ on Nov 9, 2011 at 04:00 PM
    I'm sure this thief was stocking the pantry on this stolen house with an American Flag credit card!!
      by excuse me on Nov 10, 2011 at 05:37 AM in reply to HWJ
      You got that right. What is this country coming too?
  • by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 03:46 PM
    Thats right, let's blame the property owner...not the usless THUG!!
  • by YOUR OWN BUSINESS Location: gvlle on Nov 9, 2011 at 03:13 PM
    please ppl is this the first time anyone got caught squatting? U YOURSELF DON'T DOT EVERY i or CROSS EVERY t.hell let him do his time and pay for ithimself..PPL NEEDS TO NOT WORRY ABOUT THEIR NEIGHBOR,,BUT THEIRSELVES!!!!
  • by wow Location: wow on Nov 9, 2011 at 01:33 PM
    Its one thing to be uneducated, but its another for so many to show ignorance on here by asking whats a squater look it up on the comp!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133525008 - witn.com/a?a=133525008