Bertie County Schools Welcomes New Superintendent

The Bertie County school board selected a new Superintendent for the school district.

The board voted to hire Dr. Debbie Harris-Rollins to fill the leadership position. Harris-Rollins is currently the Assistant Superintendent of Hertford County Schools.

She assumes the vacancy left eight months ago by Dr. Chip Zullinger. Zullinger resigned in July amidst an investigation.

• by Anonymous Location: Martin County on Mar 19, 2011 at 04:14 PM
    Even teachers are human and they do make mistakes when talking as well as typing. Don't be so critical yourself. True that NC schools are not ranked anywhere near the top in our national level, but maybe one day our education values will go up. I blame a lot on the big wheels are are sitting up in the big office in NC. The ones up there are probably more concerned about a paycheck than whether our children and grandchildren get a good education.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2011 at 08:14 AM
    Can we go ahead and double their salary. Maybe even triple it. The schools are doing so well here in Eastern NC. NC is only three from the bottom in the nation. Another thing the governor can brag about trying to recuit jobs. Not to mention the corruption and the states debt. You go girl.
      by anonymous on Apr 16, 2011 at 09:32 AM in reply to
      I so hope you were being a smart alic. They really don't need a raise at all. I am a parent of 3 children in Bertie CO. Schools; I really hate the school system. The teachers need to take a long class about how to treat children. As well as bus drivers and kitchen staff. I watched a kitchen manager fuss at a child for not talking loud enough, making her cry, and get out of the line. The manager just kept on and on about it as well. I have already complained on the teachers and staff. Teachers needs to learn how to actually talk to a person.
  • by Another Educator Location: Edenton on Mar 18, 2011 at 07:54 AM
    Check the county website. Their new superintendent starts next month, April 18, 2011. I knew Dr. Crawford would not last long.
      by anonymous on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM in reply to Another Educator
      He wasn't supposed to last long. He was just an interim until they were able to hire someone.
        by Amy on Apr 16, 2011 at 09:36 AM in reply to anonymous
        He was on temporary until they found a permanent superintendent. Hope she actually does a good job. Get the racial issue out of the schools. Parents needs to as well. I'm tired of hearing about all the racial slurs.
  • by Educator Location: ENC on Mar 18, 2011 at 06:05 AM
    I'd like to wish Dr. Rollins-Harris all the best in her new position. Having worked with her in another Eastern NC County, I know she has the skills and ability to do an tremendous job in her new post. She is a no nonsense but very fair individual. Bertie is fortunate to have been able to hire someone with her abilities.
      by just wondering on Mar 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM in reply to Educator
      What did you teach? I was wondering because of the sentence in your comment"...and the ability to do AN tremendous job..." Like I said, I'm just wondering.
        by Fed Up with criticism on Mar 18, 2011 at 02:54 PM in reply to just wondering
        "Just Wondering", get a life! Perhaps it was just a typo. The teacher is trying to make a positive comment. This place is crawling with critical jerks!
        by Educator on Mar 21, 2011 at 04:49 AM in reply to just wondering
        I beg your utmost forgiveness for my faux pas. In my rush to post prior to attending my duties of the day,the juxtaposition of the "n" in the relation to the "a" was an inadvertent neurologically induced muscular action. The impetus of this action is unknown at this time and could possibly attributed to the lack of sufficient caffeinated beverages at the hour of posting. In regards to your query, "What did you teach?"; I teach children how to become critical thinking, self motivated adults.
        by Ouch! on Mar 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM in reply to just wondering
        Ah, just wondering, do you by chance have any other questions for Educator? Just wondering?
          by WOW on Mar 31, 2011 at 09:57 AM in reply to Ouch!
          LOL!!! Just wondering that shut you up didn't it?!
  • by Dr. Expert Location: Ayden on Mar 18, 2011 at 05:44 AM
    Hold on the rumor is that Reep is leaving at the end of the school year. If this happens, I am positive that the NEW BOARD MAJORITY will spend the neccessary time to select a great superintendent. The last three have been poor hires, and they have made poor administrative hires as well.
  • by Otherwise Location: Southern Pitt Co. on Mar 18, 2011 at 05:17 AM
    I'm right there with you, Original ENC!! Most of her hiring decisions are questionable at best!
  • by The original ENC Location: enc on Mar 18, 2011 at 04:50 AM
    Pitt Co. needs a new one.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118228244 - witn.com/a?a=118228244