Decision On Bear Grass Charter School Not Expected Until March

It could be a few more weeks before one former school will know if can reopen as a charter school.

Bear Grass School is on the state's fast track for approval to become a charter, since legislators voted last session to remove the cap on charters in our state.

The charter school advisory committee met Tuesday to talk about policies, but no decision will be made until March.

Bear Grass School has been closed since 2008.

PREVIOUS STORY:

A Martin County school that's been trying for three years to turn a closed school into a charter school could see a big step forward in that effort Tuesday.

The Bear Grass School could gain traction for becoming a charter school as the Charter School Committee is expected to discuss the recent recommendation that Bear Grass be allowed to reopen and change its status.

The effort for the charter started when the Martin County School Board voted in 2008 to close the school and merge it with another high school in the county.

We'll keep you posted on the process.

• by Kara Location: Riverside HS Student on Feb 22, 2012 at 06:08 AM
    I'll state my opinion again. I dont personally think Martin County needs another school. Kids are doing just fine with the new adjustment to South Creek and Riverside. As soon as the New Middle School is built, Jamesville will no longer need their school either. Everyone will become Riverside or South Creek. I think that is the way it should be. It is better for the county to have this number of schools, and for the pricing. I believe that most students would agree with me that everyone likes the new arrangements being divided into Riverside, and South Creek...So why should we change it again? We are perfectly fine the way things are. Anyone who wants to go to a charter school, can find somewhere else to go in my opinion. I hope their decision is the best and is no.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 8, 2012 at 04:50 AM
    Since everyone keeps saying there will be a lottery to see who attends, which one of you will tell the parents that have been supporting this physically and financially that their children didn't get in. Will the lottery be public or behind closed doors?
  • by your all crazy Location: robersonville on Feb 8, 2012 at 02:18 AM
    Your all crazy this is just to seperate The white from blacks The old people just cant stand it what is a new school gonna do you can lead a mule to water but you cant make them drink the kids in school will get out what they put in
  • by George Location: Williamston on Feb 7, 2012 at 09:11 PM
    In response to the Jamesville parent; Do you actually believe that you will still have a middle school in Jamesville once the 15 million dollar school in Williamston is complete? If so you are very blind to what is going on in this county.
  • by Reality Location: Right here on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:37 PM
    Lets face the facts: people in Bear Grass do not want their kids to go to school with black kids. True story.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:18 PM
    Can't shield your children from the real world forever!
  • by Love my job Location: martin co on Feb 7, 2012 at 04:41 PM
    If Bear Grass gets the Charter School over 2 million dollars will be lost for Martin Co. Schools that my friend turns into 40 jobs lost. Mr Hodges will you hire all of us at your business.
      by What you mean is... on Feb 7, 2012 at 05:03 PM in reply to Love my job
      A charter school only receives the per-pupil $ that the state is paying the county to use on them. If the county is no longer educating them, the county shouldn't have the $. The REAL problem is that the $ doesn't currently go where the students go, it goes to where the county wants it to go. So $ allotted for kids at South Creek could very well be going to Riverside. Now, what's fair about that??
        by love my job on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:03 PM in reply to What you mean is...
        The 2 million was based on the 300 students the charter school says will enroll. Like I said 40 jobs will be lost.
      by Unemployed on Feb 7, 2012 at 05:37 PM in reply to Love my job
      Welcome to our world!
        by love my job on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:06 PM in reply to Unemployed
        If you are a charter school supporter you should apply at Metrics. He wants your support so he should support you and your family just a thought.
  • by Jamesville Parent on Feb 7, 2012 at 04:00 PM
    It is funny that through all this talk about Bear Grass a lot of people have forgotten about how 1 school in Martin County is doing quite well. Jamesville Middle was named an Honor School of Excellence this year. That's something NO school in MC has ever done, not even Bear Grass. Also, JMS was just nominated for a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence award. In case you don't know, that is a National Award for excellence in education and only 9 schools in NC were nominated this year. BG never got that one either. As for me, I'm happy with my school in Jamesville and you can keep your charter in BG. It will never be a good as what we have!!!
      by Happy for them on Feb 7, 2012 at 05:36 PM in reply to Jamesville Parent
      I am happy for the accomplishments of these two schools. However, the real problem is the sorry high schools. They close the 2 best and leave the worst. Sounds backwards to me.
        by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:11 PM in reply to Happy for them
        Do you really think that it is the school? Or is it the students?
          by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 07:10 PM in reply to
          That is an easy one...the SCHOOL!!
      by That means nothing really on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:49 PM in reply to Jamesville Parent
      School of excellence is a joke. Welcome to fast food manager in about 10 years.
  • by Big Bad Bear on Feb 7, 2012 at 03:16 PM
    There are numerous places in Bear Grass that the charter school can and will be located. We would like to have the school but if we cant get it, will have the our school somewhere else.
  • by Bobby Location: Williamston on Feb 7, 2012 at 02:18 PM
    I wish the board of education was doing more to find a teacher for my sons math class they. Why would you move a teacher to another class and let one fall through cracks. WITN wall Williamston Middle School and get the answer.
      by Anonymous on Feb 7, 2012 at 03:41 PM in reply to Bobby
      While you are at it try to find Bobby an english tutor.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138838259 - witn.com/a?a=138838259