Doctor: Legal "Bath Salts" Drug- Deadly

A new designer drug is causing controversy throughout the nation and here in eastern Carolina while sending some to the hospital.

Marketed in some tobbaco and convenience stores as "bath salts"-the products are actually being ingested by either snorting, eating, or smoking. Bath salts is just slang for the product, it's not the stuff you would put in the tub. The product goes by different names including white china, euphoria, and what we found in Greenville Kush Blitz. Medical experts say the reactive effects which include rapid heart beat, chest pains, and disorientation are dangerous.

"These drugs can cause spasm of blood vessels and they are highly addicting and people can die from them," said ECU physician & toxicologist Dr. William Meggs.

The American Association of Poison Control Centers has seen a dramatic rise in usage with 236 bath salt related calls in all of 2010 compared to the alarming 251 already in 2011.

• by Audra Location: SoCal on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    Question: Are you not capable of speaking in a non-aggressive manner to someone that is just posting thoughts on the issue? Try less caffeine already. It's still possible that it could test positive for lord only knows what. Ok.. so in your case, it didn't. Good. Yay. We get it. What I said still holds true about the ridiculous sensitivity of tests (including the FIELD TEST you mentioned that I was responding about - guess you didn't read mine). Truck drivers are dealing with this heavily now for drug testing done on them. They can't even use cold medicines at work at this point if they're sick. Guaifenisen is safe, but the usual sudafed-type products show up as pos. for meth. That was the point I was addressing.
  • by question on Feb 10, 2011 at 05:22 AM
    did you not read my post? when tested by the lab it came back as bath salts and NOT cocaine, the charges were dismissed yesterday
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:42 AM
    Question: Then he may have had something more than just Bath Salts. I'm sure anyone can add what they want to it. Newer tests of various types are pretty darned sensitive though - sometimes ridiculously so - and so, it's possible. I don't find any info in print indicating it, but Idk. Wood: Scared is the intelligent reaction at this point. I'm in a medical terminology class taught by a retired RN, and his unfortunate view is that the coming regulations are a good thing. I disagree but I don't bother arguing it with anyone there. Something as simple as 5-HTP has already been through the standardizing and regulation process, but it took years to get it on the shelf after they yanked L-tryptophan. One bad batch from another country and suddenly they're saying that a common amino acid causes a blood disorder. Yeah. Ok. There will be simple things pulled from the shelves, & soon. I know who to blame too. Three syllables.. starts with an O....
  • by kevin Location: la grange on Feb 9, 2011 at 09:03 AM
    Lew I do not think that most of us have to worry about our neighbors shopping in the stores that sell as almost every place i have seen it sold was in the "smoke shops" or "head shops". Evereyone that is screaming you need to bad this needs to find out what it is first. I am for one tried of have to show my Drivers License and sign everytime I want to buy a cold medicine strong enough to help me. Instead of banning things raise our kids better do a good job at home and we will see less abuse. Also the "bath salts" can be simply mad with meds we buy OTC from wal-greens withouts signing for it. The whole process on takes knowledge,water and a common OTC pain reliever.
  • by Wood on Feb 9, 2011 at 08:58 AM
    Audra has some very good points. I'm scared the GOV will get in this and outlaw or FDA regulate all supplements which would be bad for normal people using something simple as protein powder. How does this stuff get promoted? I did not know about it until I saw it on this site which is a good thing. I mean you got to be pretty dumb to do this kind of stuff anyway, I just don't see the reason. How is this stuff getting out to the stores and people know about it??
  • by LEW Location: MOTOWN on Feb 9, 2011 at 06:05 AM
    People should inform their neighbors not to shop in stores that sell these drugs. Vote with your money.
  • by question on Feb 9, 2011 at 06:04 AM
    Audra, I am glad my question amused you and made you "LOL". The reason I asked is because my son was arrested this past weekend, yes his picture was on reflector.com, for cocaine possesion. According to him it was bath salts. The deputy field tested it twice and it tested positive for cocaine. He has been in jail since then. The deputy called me this morning and informed me that they received the lab test back and it is bath salts and not cocaine. So, my question has been answered. This stuff does test positive for cocaine when tested in the field.
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Feb 9, 2011 at 05:50 AM
    Yes, that's one substance that is in it. That would be the one closely related to ecstasy (MDMA). Note, I said IN it... along with other things. It's obvious it wasn't intended to use any other way than people are using it. I don't think there is any confusion on that.
  • by What the drug is on Feb 9, 2011 at 04:55 AM
    The "bath salt" is most likely MDPV, but possibly mephedrone. It obviously was never intended to be used as a bath salt.
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Feb 8, 2011 at 06:04 PM
    It won't test positive for cocaine, because it isn't cocaine or a cocaine derivative. I suppose it could test positive to look like meth however. Real reason you're asking... lol I don't wanna know. I would imagine however that if you got "caught" with a white powder, they'd test it.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115529919 - witn.com/a?a=115529919