Ban On Plastic Bags Returns To Outer Banks

Soon there won't be a question of paper or plastic on the Outer Banks.

The Daily Advance of Elizabeth City reports a ban on plastic bags at grocery stores and other businesses will resume Friday.

The ban had been suspended after a tornado destroyed a Food Lion distribution center in Dunn that was a supplier for the chain's paper bags.

The ban was enacted in 2009 for businesses in Currituck, Hyde and Dare counties. Its goal was to rid the scenic area of trash and help preserve marine animals in danger of choking on the bags.

• by Glad to hear Location: GA on Jun 29, 2011 at 04:08 PM
    I'm glad that someone has decided to ban plastic bags. Every time I look into the trees and see a plastic bag stuck in it's branches I think it's a shame. Not only is there garbage on the ground but in the trees as well.
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Jun 29, 2011 at 02:27 PM
    Forgetting to take the bags with you is a big problem, it's true. If you're a female shopper, look for the reusable bags that fold up and zipper closed into a neat little packet. They fit in your purse and you're never unprepared. I bought one at Walgreen's, and I know you have Walgreen's. For anybody else, just take a minute to walk them out to your car as soon as they're empty.
  • by What About Bag Ladies? on Jun 29, 2011 at 01:10 PM
    What will they do now? Paper bags tear apart when they get wet. I fear the bag ladies will be forced to move to another county.
  • by McIntosh Location: The South on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Ah, yes, another "progressive" idea that bombed. Remember, we were to use the plastic bags (made from petroleum products) because the evil paper bags were made from trees! Oh, the horror, trees were being cut down. But, wait, trees can be planted and replenished. Of course, the paper bags disintegrates in the landfill but the plastic bag lives forever filled with garbage. Another typical "progressive" idea that wasn't throught through to the end result.
  • by Tea-Party #1 on Jun 29, 2011 at 09:42 AM
    I LOVE plastig bag pollution. It is a God-given, constitutionally protected matter, given to us by our Founding Fathers, to be able to throw these all-natural bags and trash ANYWHERE we want!!! What right is the Obummer admin. going to take away from us next?
      by Dark Horse on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:52 AM in reply to Tea-Party #1
      What does Obama have to do with plastic bag laws? It's a LOCAL ordinance. I bet you have another name.
      by REM on Jun 29, 2011 at 02:08 PM in reply to Tea-Party #1
      Is that how you really view the tea party?.... what a petty attempt...
  • by Toni on Jun 29, 2011 at 09:41 AM
    I tried to get those reusable bags but i kept forgetting them when I went to the store.
      by REM on Jun 29, 2011 at 02:07 PM in reply to Toni
      Put them in your car/truck....
  • by REM Location: ENC on Jun 29, 2011 at 07:41 AM
    I'm not the tree hugger type (although I fully support reducing, reusing, and recycling), but I think a state wide tax on plastic bags would be a great idea. I bring reusable bags with me, so can everyone else.
  • by CritterLover on Jun 29, 2011 at 06:23 AM
    Awesome!! I wish we could ban them all over the state!
  • by Really? Location: DC on Jun 29, 2011 at 05:52 AM
    There is a .05 cent tax on bags here in DC and I have to admit, there is not as much litter as there was before. I was skeptical at first, but it seems to be working. For the Outer Banks, this sounds like a good idea to help prevent excessive bags getting into the valuable coastal ecosystem!
  • by KT Location: Winterville on Jun 29, 2011 at 05:49 AM
    NC should ban paper or plastic all together. You should be charged to buy them if you don't bring your own bags (reusable or previously used plastic or paper). The proceeds should go to something good. For example, this same thing is done in D.C. and the proceeds of plastic bag purchases go towards keeping the river clean. Sounds like a good idea to me when you go to Wal-Mart and the bagger puts already bagged items (potatoes, apples) into separate bags!
      by I Fought the Law on Jun 29, 2011 at 06:38 AM in reply to KT
      I second that suggestion and move that a bill be introduced into the NC legislator.
      by Anonymous on Jun 29, 2011 at 09:40 AM in reply to KT
      maybe the money people are charged should be put towards things our new budget cut out. It would help a lot and the reusable bags you wouldnt see scattered all over parks and beaches.
      by Frank Sinatra on Jun 29, 2011 at 08:17 PM in reply to KT
      Just like someone from DC thinking up a new tax.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124699924 - witn.com/a?a=124699924