71-Year-Old Man Escapes Home Inferno

A spectacular fire destroyed a Pitt County home Friday morning. The elderly resident, who was inside at the time, managed to get out safely.

The fire was on Stokes Road, outside of Belvoir. Flames engulfed the one story home and a plume of smoke could be seen from Highway 33.

To see more pictures of the fire, click on the PHOTOS tab at the top of the story.

Clint Spruill tells WITN News that he was inside his home around 11:00 a.m. when he heard a popping noise and then saw flames. The 71-year-old man ran outside to safety.

Spruill, who has lived in the home for about 20 years, believes an electrical problem sparked the blaze.

Multiple fire departments tried to contain the fire, but initial units ran out of water. Firefighters say after 45 minutes the roof of the home collapsed and they decided to curtail their efforts and allow the home to burn itself out.

There were no reports of injuries.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Really? Location: Pitt on Mar 7, 2011 at 04:22 AM
    Thanks for your support. I will say that our department is only about a mile from the house. It just so happenned we were having an event at our station so many of our firefighters were already at the station. The gentleman who lived in the house had no p[hone and had to run to a nearby country store to get help. The firefighter's responded immediately to the scene but even with their fast response the home was already FULLY engulfed. Everyone was out safely and due to the age and type construction of the house it was to risky to make any type of interior attack especially when everything inside was already engulfed in flames. As firefighters our first goal is the life safety of the victims and the firefighters. If there had been anything we could have saved every effort would have been made to save it. People who are on the outside looking in always have their "expert" opions. Well pleae join your local volunteer fire/ems because they could really use your expert experience!
  • by FormerVolunteer Location: Old Trap,Camden County,NC on Mar 5, 2011 at 08:29 AM
    Hey "Way to go", check out the posted photos. In the last one, you can actually see just how efficiently the masonary chimney was drawing the smoke, heat,fumes,and super heated gases from the base of the fire. Ease up a little on the fellows, at least they were able to save the chimney, and the photo clearly shows it was working quite well at the time. Another photo shows one volunteer holding the hose and the rest standing near by watching it burn. If I didn't know better, I would likewise conclude that they might need some supervisory experience from someone just as yourself. But hey,they've been quite busy here lately, or so it seems. I'm positively sure if you post your address here, some dedicated volunteer from your local fire department will mail or hand deliver an application to you! Just pray that no one has to come save your chimney one day or late night...just saying. My sincere well wishes to the family who lost everything, and gratitude to ALL Fire/EMS!!! God Bless you all!
  • by Seriously! Location: pitt on Mar 4, 2011 at 08:56 PM
    @Way to go-----Firefighters were on the scene quickly! It was a really old house and was fully involved when department arrived on the scene. There was nothing salvagable and everyone was out safely! There was no need of endangerng lives of emergency workers to save a house already totally engulfed n flames.
  • by MIKE Location: Hamilton on Mar 4, 2011 at 08:13 PM
    I was traveling North from Greenville on NC 11 and could see the smoke from the area of The Country Mart all the way to Bethel @the 64 overpass.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 4, 2011 at 05:17 PM
    Currently have 5 smoke alarms in my home. Just got two more. One for the attic and one for the garage. I want to know if there's smoke in my shack! The smoke is what gets ya first.
  • by way to go on Mar 4, 2011 at 02:23 PM
    way to go--allow it to burn itself out? seriously? strong work fellas, at least everyone managed to be safe and no one is injured
  • by Amy Location: Hamilton on Mar 4, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    So sorry to hear the man lost his home this morning, but thank God he was able to get out safely. God Bless you, and thanks to the firefighters who put their life on the line with each fire call.
  • by annyomonos Location: columbia on Mar 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    sorry about your home god bless you
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117405908 - witn.com/a?a=117405908
Gray Television, Inc.