NEW DETAILS: Man Dies After Drinking Gasoline

A man is dead from severe burns after authorities say he accidentally drank gasoline and later set himself on fire.

Dead is Gary Banning, who neighbors say was visiting a friend at an apartment on Roosevelt Road in Havelock.

Police say they got a call around 9:55 p.m. and found the 43-year-old man with severe burns. He was transported to the Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill where he died Tuesday morning around 6:00 a.m.

Police say they learned Banning had accidentally drank gasoline earlier in the day. He spit it out onto his clothing, but never changed clothes. Later in the evening, police believe Banning was smoking a cigarette, started to doze off when the fire accidentally erupted.

Havelock police say alcohol was involved and drugs possibly involved.

They say earlier in the day someone at the apartment was using gasoline to clean grease off their hands and left a glass jar containing gasoline on the kitchen counter.

Police say their investigation is ongoing.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by tyler Location: durden on Mar 14, 2012 at 09:26 PM
    Darwin
  • by Shawn Location: Willow Springs on Mar 3, 2012 at 03:36 AM
    Pop Gary, you're gonna be missed. You were a good friend to me and my brother. I think the media and our medical field loves the word drugs. There are other ways to die besides drugs and i think they need to focus on that as well. To the family of Pop Gary, my thoughts and prayers are with yall. This has really opened up a cut on me because only 8 months ago, i lost my best friend. And the media and the medical field lied. Hooray for our medical and media field. you are a joke.
  • by WITN's headline Location: Greenville on Mar 1, 2012 at 05:49 AM
    Does anyone else find the headline misleading? The guy was burned, and did not die as a direct result of drinking gasoline. Yet, WITN's headline insinuates that drinking gasoline is what led to the man's passing. The loss of journalistic integrity is at an all time high for WITN. Frankly, it is shameful, and they should change it to reflect what actually happened. Boneheads.
  • by Dp Location: Williamston, NC on Feb 29, 2012 at 01:57 PM
    I'm appauled at what I was just reading in the comments. I can't believe your comments from calling the man stupid to Pres. Obama. to North and South people what is with you people. We don't have the right to judge others in such a manner. We don't know what happened and if it was your family you would be very upset to read or hear such comments about your loved one. His family loved him and the terrible accident that lead to his death is inmaterial at this time, his family is still hurting just as you would if it was your family. Take a moment and read the comments! My WORD!!! Drugs are in my family too, do I like it No can I change it NO that is something they have to do for themselves but that doesn't stop me from loving and wanting them safe. Come on people you should be ashamed of yourself for such horrible remarks. Have a little love in your heart!!!! Be thankful and feel blessed it wasn't your family member.
  • by Hey y'all watch this on Feb 29, 2012 at 01:00 PM
    you know the rest......
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    Wow that was dumb. I pray for his family as they have to cope with this unexpected tragedy.
  • by Sadie Location: Greene County on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    Just when I think I've heard it all.
  • by Shame on you on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    No matter what the guy was a real person with a family who is grieving right now. Shame on any of you who think this is funny ar another excuse to ridicule NC or rednecks. You're despicable
    • reply
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:37 PM in reply to Shame on you
      I agree, totally.
  • by Samson on Feb 29, 2012 at 07:58 AM
    And I thought I had a bad day.
  • by Aww shux.....no post. Location: Greenville on Feb 29, 2012 at 07:07 AM
    Hey...... Mr WITN man..... your title is misleading. Why not change the title to reflect what actually happened? Simple question. Who's in charge over there?
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140758213 - witn.com/a?a=140758213
Gray Television, Inc.