FIRE MARSHAL: Homeless May Have Started Duplex Fire

Investigators in Greenville are looking into whether homeless people trying to stay warm in last night's frigid temperatures may have started a fire in the vacant side of a duplex.

WITN was there as crews extinguished the fire at the duplex on Cadillac Street just after 7:00 a.m.

Deputy Fire Marshal Wayne Peaden says there are reports of people staying in the empty part of the building. But no one was there when crews arrived.

The man living in the other unit was saved when a person passing by spotted the fire and alerted him.

The fire department says the blaze started in the living room area of the vacant unit and spread to the other side of the duplex. Peaden says the entire building will likely be condemned.

Previous Story

Officials in Greenville say a man inside a burning building has a passerby to thank for saving his life today.

A fire was reported just before 7 a.m. at a duplex on Cadillac St. near Colonial Ave., which is off Fifth St. in West Greenville. Officials on the scene told WITN that one side of the duplex is unoccupied, but a man lives in the other side. It's the side where no one lives that caught fire, officials say.

Officials say someone saw the fire from the street and alerted the man inside his home. He was able to escape without injury.

By 7:30 a.m., fire crews had the fire extinguished, the smoke continued to smolder.

Previous Story:
WITN has a crew en route to a reported house fire in Greenville. Dispatchers say a house on Cadillac St. caught fire just before 7 a.m.

Four fire engines and an EMS crew have arrived on scene, according to dispatchers.

We will keep you posted on this breaking news.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136650188 -
Gray Television, Inc.