Chowan University Lockdown Lifted

Chowan University placed all of its students on lockdown late Sunday night after a robbery and assault.

Parents of Chowan University students have forwarded WITN an email from campus security saying:

"A student was forced to let unknown individuals into his room. The student was robbed and assaulted. All students should remain in their residence halls until further notification."

WITN reached out to Chowan University, and campus security said everything is "back to normal" now.

• by Victims Dad Location: SC on Dec 1, 2011 at 06:16 AM
    Thank you for all those who have prayed for my son. he is doing ok. Still shaken, but ok. I have read all the comments. To many speculations are being posted. What I do know is that we didn't get a phone call from the college letting us know that our son was in the hospital. We had to hear it from the person that took him to the hospital. I think, had we not went to Chowan, we still wouldn't know. Security does need to be stepped up at the college in the recent events that have unfolded.
  • by Student Location: Chowan Campus on Nov 29, 2011 at 05:14 PM
    This is no longer a safe school. The school lowered the GPA for potential students back in 2007 to raise money for a 'facelift'. The plan has backfired and the worst people are among us. There are crimes committed here that the school is covering up, like the fight/brawl/assaults two day before the robbery. Ask any student who attends now, not an alumn. There is no respect, no pride and a lot of hate. Don't come to school here.
  • by Concerned Parent Location: Maryland on Nov 23, 2011 at 08:35 AM
    I was upset to hear about this from my son and I DID NOT recieve ANY email about this incident from the school.
  • by Deborah Location: VA on Nov 21, 2011 at 03:35 PM
    I am really glad the young man is ok. This is my son's team mate. I was upset to not hear from the chool, considering all the money they rec from us. Notification would have been nice. Family and friends heard about it on TV, before I had a chance to tell them. It really started a lot of phone calls of worry. My lives in Parker Hall and it is very dark and open on that side. I think some lights would be nice. All in all my prayers are with the family and those on campus. My son just got home and I thank God!
  • by MC Location: NC on Nov 21, 2011 at 02:33 PM
    As a Chowan Alumni and having been on many other campuses I had never felt safer than on the CU campus. Most schools are much more open and have their own police force (who still can't be everywhere at once). My understanding of the situatio was not that the student opened his dorm room because somebody knocked but was walking into the residence hall when he was first held at gun piont. As far as the parents go, isn't it more important that your children are notified first and there is a system in place in which you can receive text messages in instances like this. Also if you are that concerned have your child forward all their CU email to your email address. The main priority is that there was only one student harmed and the rest are safe. I pray for that student and his family and that others can see CU responded promptly and your child(ren) is/are safe.
  • by ChowanMOM Location: NC on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    It is with great dissatification that I am just leanring of this incident vis the internet. Chowan University failed to inform the parents of such a situation. As a parent, we are sending our children to college to earn a degree of their choice. Let us be proactive to implement proper security as a way to ensure that all stakeholders are safe while away from the comfort of their homes. For those individuals who were assualted our prayers are going out to you and your families. Let us pray for the entire community during this holiday season.
  • by BravesMom Location: NE NC on Nov 21, 2011 at 09:45 AM
    @Really, from what I am hearing from my son, there was a gun involved and possible more that one robber.I feel sure that when threatened with a gun the student did what he was told to do by the robber. There has been a rash of car break ins in the Town Of Murfreesboro recently also. The campus is very open but Parker Hall is locked 24/7 at it's main doors. It is also a very long dark walk from the main campus (library) to Parker Hal Dorm!
      by LC on Nov 21, 2011 at 04:51 PM in reply to BravesMom
      My son's resident hall is also Parker, much to my dismay, I did not want him placed there because of the distant location, and yes, it's dark there. Our son called in such a panic Sunday night, saying that Parker was in a lockdown, this was very late late in the evening, I do believe they the college need to have a curfew anyway..thank goodness he was visiting other classmates, but then got stranded and was told he could not get back into Parker, well, this was going on until well after 1am, I finally had to call the campus security, and inquire, as to what the hec is going on there? How did these individuals get into the Parker Hall locked front/rear door? who gave them a key, or who let them in? inside job as well? hmm, I wonder? Parents of Parker Hall are you as angry as I am? Do we have to fear the safety of our children, and their belongings? and why wasn't anything done Friday night when this all began at Dunn Hall? where was security when I was told there was a red car driving around the campus with their headlights off? again, where was campus security then also, some lax employees, not doing their jobs,
  • by Nicole Location: Williamsburg on Nov 21, 2011 at 09:16 AM
    Thank you BravesMom for the update. I didn't know about this until just now on the noon news. My son is also at Parker and while he has text me this morning he never mentioned the lockdown smh
  • by Maureen Location: Suffolk on Nov 21, 2011 at 08:19 AM
    Why is there not a system in place to notify parents ,that there is an incident on campus. My child attends this school. This open campus thing worries me. Where ARE the Security Guards? why everyone AND ANYONE has access to the campus after hours.
      by REM on Nov 21, 2011 at 09:36 AM in reply to Maureen
      Security/police can't be everywhere all the time. Even if they could, they aren't personal body guards. If you fear for the safety of your child, then you should arrange for them to be able to defend his/herself in any situation.
        by ChowanMOM on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM in reply to REM
        Yes you are right campus police are not personal security guards but that are charged with the responsibility to ensure the safety of all students and saff. Let us not take this personal but remember we are one body working together to better the lives of all these young people.
      by Ricky Bobby on Nov 21, 2011 at 02:53 PM in reply to Maureen
      What? You got a 10 year old child in college. College students are adults, they will contact you if need be and are able to.
  • by Shelia on Nov 21, 2011 at 06:38 AM
    This comment is directed at @Really.. the guy was outside the room coming back from somewhere if they had you at gun point and told you to open your door you just going to sit there and let them shoot you or are you going to open your door? but everyone is okay and the guy is in good condition as well.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134229718 - witn.com/a?a=134229718