Memorial Service To Take Place In Greenville For Sup Dogs Owner

A memorial service is planned Thursday for the owner of a popular Greenville restaurant who died in a house fire.

Derek Oliverio, 27, was killed in the fire at his home on Wyndham Circle last Thursday. He was laid to rest Wednesday in his home state of Virginia.

Thursday's service in Greenville is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. in the Wilkerson Funeral Chapel.

In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to the Greenville Police Department at P.O. Box 7207, Greenville, NC 27835, or Greenville Fire and Rescue at 500 S. Greene St., Greenville, NC 27834.



Previous Story

Friends and family will gather to remember a popular Greenville restaurant owner who died in a house fire.

A memorial service is planned for Monday afternoon for Derek Oliverio, 27, the owner of Sup Dogs. His funeral will be Tuesday, and both services will take place in Virginia.

A family member emailed the media, after the medical examiner's autopsy said Oliverio was intoxicated when he was killed of smoke inhalation. The family says Oliverio was driving friends home who had been drinking when he stopped at the duplex to check on his dogs. They say he tried to put out a fire that had started in the kitchen, and tried to get his dogs out of the house, who were in his bedroom.
Crews found Oliverio in his bedroom unresponsive.

Officials say either lightning or an electric malfunction near the microwave started the fatal fire.


Previous Story

An autopsy shows the owner of a popular Greenville restaurant died from smoke inhalation. The Medical Examiner's Office says Derek Oliverio was intoxicated when fire tore through his duplex early Thursday morning.

Oliverio owned Sup Dogs on Fifth Street. Fire crews were called to his duplex on Wyndham Circle around 3:20 a.m. The 27-year-old man died later at Pitt County Memorial Hospital.

The autopsy says the manner of death is accidental, while under other significant conditions contributing to the death it lists acute alcohol intoxication.

Battalion Chief Sharon Terry tells WITN News that the cause of the fire has been ruled unintentional. She says it was traced to an electrical outlet in the kitchen microwave oven.


Previous Story

Police say the owner of a downtown Greenville restaurant was killed in an early morning house fire.

Dead is Derek Oliverio, the 27-year-old owner of Sup Dogs. The restaurant is on 5th Street.

Crews were called out to the house fire at 209 Wyndham Circle around 3:20 a.m. Thursday. Police say Oliverio died after being taken to Pitt County Memorial Hospital.

Two dogs inside the home at the time were also killed.

Police do not think lightning is to blame for igniting the fire because it began after the storms had passed. They also do not believe the fire is suspicious, though they don't yet have a cause of death for Oliverio.


Previous Story

One man is dead after fire tore through a home overnight. Greenville police are now investigating that fire.

Crews were called out to the house fire at 209 Wyndham Circle around 3:20 a.m. Thursday. One person was taken to the hospital, but later died from his injuries.

Two dogs inside the home at the time were also killed.

Police do not think lightning is to blame for igniting the fire because it began after the storms had passed.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130765483 - witn.com/a?a=130765483
Gray Television, Inc.