NEW INFO: Ayden Police Officer Charged With DWI

An Ayden police officer is suspended from the force after being arrested for driving while impaired.

Ayden town manager Adam Mitchell says officer Greta Mills Darden is suspended without pay until further notice. He says she was arrested around 11:30 Saturday night.

Court records show Darden was cited for DWI. Her court date is January 4th, 2011. Further details were not immediately available about the circumstances of the arrest.

Mitchell says Darden started with the town in March 2004, was promoted to senior police officer in 2007 and then the master police officer in April 2010.

He says there are no other records of demotion or disciplinary actions in Darden's personnel file.

The Ayden town website shows Darden works with the community policing program, which it says is designed to "work with citizens, property owners, and business owners to create a safe community and environment to live, work, and play."

• by Eli Location: Greenville on Jan 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    I agree with you "T"! I don't think a single person could have a just and fair trial in this country. EVER. People are so willing to jump at a guilty verdict without knowing the whole story. And I would be willing to bet if they did hear the whole story they would still find them guilty because of their preconceived thoughts of what the "news" says. These stories are ALWAYS BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION.
  • by T Location: Ayden on Dec 9, 2010 at 09:53 PM
    I know Gretta personally and if found guilty she should be punished just like the rest of us would be. I always thought it was innocent until proven guilty, but I guess not when it comes to an officer of the law. I think some of you people need to stop acting like children and stop the name calling this is so childish and for WITN to allow this just sickens me. My children don't even act like some of you are acting. Grow up people!!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Dec 7, 2010 at 01:49 PM
    Sam: You still don't seem to grasp the BIG picture. Citizens just love to bash us when the opportunity presents itself and the LEOs are expected to be a cut above the citizens we protect. I can't go out and give tickets to you if I am doing the same thing when I am off duty. When the department lets her go, there will be an unemployed certified officer waiting to take her place. Therefore the economic balance will remain the same. Let an over the road truck driver get a DWI and I assure you that his company will fire him on the spot. The civil liability for any city would go out of sight if you kept an officer with a DWI employed and driving a police vehicle. No one in law enforcement wants to partner up with someone who has no personal discipline, cause it can get you killed. Remenber, the drunk driver rarely dies in the wreck, but the mom, dad and kids in the car they hit always do.
  • by Sam Location: Kitty Hawk on Dec 7, 2010 at 01:13 PM
    To LEO, I went back and read what I said and feel NO SHAME at all and should'nt feel any shame. I have'nt posted anything out of line. If she were to lose her job, then everybody would deserve to lose their job if they had a DWI. If that was the case then I'd be amazed at what the unemployment rate would be then and there would be a whole lot of more robberies and murders. As long as she has done her job in serving the public and keeping Ayden safer than otherwise, then she should keep her job, period. A suspension without pay does teach a big lesson though.
  • by LEO Location: ENC on Dec 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    Sam, Sunshine, Laura, Lori & April D : Get a grip on reality and read what you wrote !! Those of us in law enforcement ARE held to a higher standard for our personal conduct and that is the way it should be. The ability to rationalize Anything and make excuses is the reason America is slowly sinking into the cesspool. As Anon stated, "Training & Standards will take her certification" and she will no longer be a police officer in North Carolina, done deal. The criminal justice system deals in facts, or should, and when she blew .17 she also blew her career right out the window. Making excuses for anything is most certainly becoming the American way, but when an LEO is convicted of any criminal violation there is nothing to do but make a career change. I sure don,t want a thief or drunk being my backup on an armed robbery in progress call. Wake up, prople. "Dirty" officers can't get a conviction in court, so why would any of you want to keep her in law enforcement ?? Sam, shame on you !!
  • by Ayden Anon Location: Ayden on Dec 4, 2010 at 02:29 PM
    Greta, thanks for all the work you did for the Ayden community. I've seen you on foot, in the car, directing traffic, at Wal-Mart with less fortunate children at Christmas time. You have been an asset to the community. You did make a mistake and to have your kids in the car... tisk,tisk. I hope you realize your mistake, deal with the consequences and are able to get back to work in Ayden. It's a better place with you, than without you.
  • by Heard it all now on Dec 4, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    How much cough medicine would you have to drink to blow a .17? I am constantly amazed at the ignorance of some of the posters here. Some of you folks will stop at nothing to defend stupidity.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 4, 2010 at 07:49 AM
    Yea, the Durham Police officer was on the job DRUNK!
  • by Jess Location: New Bern on Dec 3, 2010 at 07:05 PM
    Cop or not, no sympathy for drunk drivers ever. Wilful, reckless disregard for the safety of others, inluding her children. I agree with Anon from wallace. Were you driving? yes. Were you drinking? yes. Done, guilty, go to jail. If it were up to me she would lose her license for 5 yrs and go to jail if she drove while revoked.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 2, 2010 at 06:45 PM
    Okay WITN were is the comment section for the Durham police charge with a DWI.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111012299 - witn.com/a?a=111012299